So little means so much

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Bigger C

Re: So little means so much

Post by Bigger C »

If you can't understand people's skepticism about crowdfunding, you might want to read up a little.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Naniyue wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT THE BAD GUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And neither are any of you! This stuff has simply gotten out of hand! If I've come across as rude, it was truly unintentional, and I apologize. I'm only human, and probably make more mistakes than anyone else in this forum! However, saying my writing is cliche is an insult.

As I've said, my best friend is a very private person! Yes, there are more details I could give, but that would be violating her trust, if I do so without permission. Again, I can ask her what else I can divulge, but I can't make any guarantees.

I'm doing my best, starving myself to give her as much of my own money as I can, visiting churches, asking individuals in person, etc. She just needs help! PLEASE!

Thank you.
I don't think anyone was rude here, just blunt.

My apologies for causing offence. I come from a culture where when people ask for money the giver always expects a fairly explicit and matter-of-fact breakdown of where that money is going to go, unless the asker is asking in person on the street and the giver can see for themselves that the asker's been sleeping rough for a while. (And even then a lot of these cardboard signs are getting quite sophisticated...) Naked appeals to emotion are typically frowned upon.

I don't think any of us thinks you're "the bad guy", nor that you're accusing any of us of being a bad guy. If anything, I think a lot of the skepticism is coming from our concern that you might be being taken advantage of.

Frankly, the following points are a concern:
  • You are putting yourself in great hardship and possibly even danger for this.
  • She's calling all the shots as to what you are or are not allowed to say.
  • We're relying entirely on what appears to be your second-hand account of the situation.
  • Your account has shown very little in terms of critical thinking, if not downright hostility to critical thinking.
There are a few scenarios that explain all these, including at best that it is exactly as you say, at worst that she's using you - and second worst, that she actually doesn't want or need your help but you're doing this anyway against her wishes.

Please keep in mind we know literally nothing about your friend except what you have told us, and have no way to check any of it independently.

EDIT: I was that anonymous first donor. I originally wanted to stay anonymous, but reading this again I'd rather come out just so it's clear I'm not giving idle advice on the internet with nothing at stake.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

First, thank you for the donation! I've already told coworkers and covolunteers alike that this has occurred, and how happy I am to see it. Thank you!

Second, I'm sorry for feeling insulted. I am a very creative writer, so calling my stuff cliche was a big surprise, but I seem to understand now, especially in light of the wacky internet.

Things are as I say. We are soul friends, and trust each other implicitly. We've helped each other emotionally and financially for a long time. For just a couple examples, she saved me from homelessness once, giving the time and money I needed to move into a new place, and I've given her my entire income tax return to cover payments so as not to lose house insurance. My part in this is voluntary. She did not ask for help, as she doesn't want me to suffer either, but I knew help was needed, and she is very grateful.

If aliens surrounded the planet, and demanded the greatest example of a human being, or all would be destroyed, I'd nominate her without a microsecond's hesitation.

All of us know how life can be unfair, and that's been the problem. Too many bad luck moments in our respective lives have led to one crisis or another, and we're both tiring from the onslaught.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I think you've developed enough material here that could get you better responses if you added them to the GoFundMe page:

Who:
Naniyue wrote:We are soul friends, and trust each other implicitly. We've helped each other emotionally and financially for a long time. For just a couple examples, she saved me from homelessness once, giving the time and money I needed to move into a new place, and I've given her my entire income tax return to cover payments so as not to lose house insurance. My part in this is voluntary. She did not ask for help, as she doesn't want me to suffer either, but I knew help was needed, and she is very grateful.

If aliens surrounded the planet, and demanded the greatest example of a human being, or all would be destroyed, I'd nominate her without a microsecond's hesitation.

All of us know how life can be unfair, and that's been the problem. Too many bad luck moments in our respective lives have led to one crisis or another, and we're both tiring from the onslaught.
Why:
Naniyue wrote:I have been best friends with this woman, sharing experiences together for over twenty years. So, yeah, she's real. She has greater strength of character than ANYONE I've ever met, from ALL walks of life. But life doesn't seem to care about that.

She is the sole caretaker of her mother, who is still suffering from injuries from two years ago, making income dangerously low. What few relatives they have are unable or unwilling to help. I continue to send as much money as I can myself, and it is not fun to be at work with the shakes and ready to pass out for lack of proper food.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Sounds good! I'll pass it on and see what she thinks. Thank you for your assistance.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Note: This is basically how the new page looks. Here's the link: https://www.gofundme.com/so-little-means-so-much

Nothing. That is what will be left, if things cannot be done. Through the work of an unkind world, the person closest to me, my deepest soul connection, is at risk of losing her home.

All of this came as a complete surprise, through dark deeds done behind all of our backs. All avenues have been pursued, yet in spite of all efforts, there have been countless delays, excuses, and simply no favorable answers given from those who supposedly are there to help. Can you believe such a relatively small amount of money can lead to the loss of something much greater? A lifetime of memories, a safe haven, with nowhere
else to go.

If aliens surrounded the planet, and demanded the greatest example of a human being, or all would be destroyed, I'd nominate her without a microsecond's hesitation. We are soul friends, and trust each other implicitly. We've helped each other in many ways for a long time. All of us know how life can be unfair, and that's been the problem. Too many bad luck moments in our respective lives have led to one crisis or another, and we're both tiring from the onslaught.

Currently, she is the sole caretaker of her mother, who is still suffering from injuries from two years ago, making income dangerously low.

Time is of the essence, as her life is on the verge of collapse. Our gratitude would be immeasurable and inexpressible in any common form, so please, even the least of help would lead to the greatest of relief. She once saved my life. Now, it is my chance to save hers.

Return to “Off-Topic”