Destructive upgrade

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Apeirogon

Destructive upgrade

Post by Apeirogon »

Today my windows 10, as always, decided that it smarter than me and it needs upgrade to become more smarter and bring closer rise of the machines.
Of course, it says me about that right after dowloading upgrade and one minute before force reloading to install it, so my two hours of work disappeared in the annals of history as like library of alexandria.

But that not important now. Most important that this upgrade ruin all display and sound setting.
Like, now I cant listen music or watch video in external player, only build in windows media player. All other players say "Error stopx00000000. Cant find entry point."
And it rewrite all associated video/audio extensions to use WMP.

Next, all games and programms which work in fullscreen mode and change screen resolution from defined in desktop 1600x800 to, say, 800x600, in case of disciples 2, shows ONLY with black space on the edge of the screen and programm/game show in very center of the screen, where it cant be seen even with magnifying glass. Before this upgrade all small resolution draw normal, on the whole screen, with pixels meter per meter size.

Also in gzdoom completely miss sound. Sound system just cant initialize, in console print something like
sound system : "realtek audio"
cannot initialize sound system
set sound to nosound
and I forced to play it like in far far away 1996.
But not all that bad. Now I have babble witch 3 saga and candy crush soda saga. This definitely helps me survive loss of all settings and drawing...

So, I have two questions. First, its only me, or some one too have problems with windows upgrade?
Second, how fix it all? Now I try reinstal drivers, delete/return devices in device manager, delete and reinstall codec. That all doesnt help. Maybe someone had similar situations and know what to do?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Destructive upgrade

Post by leileilol »

Install your drivers

User was warned for this post
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

When someone comes to this forum asking for help, that is not the kind of response they are looking for. If you are annoyed with their questions, don't bother posting. What's obvious to you is not obvious to someone who does not use technology as much as we do.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Not to mention:
Apeirogon wrote:Now I try reinstal drivers, delete/return devices in device manager, delete and reinstall codec. That all doesnt help. Maybe someone had similar situations and know what to do?
They did install their drivers.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

I don't think so, My computer has that update and it seems to be working fine, can you check DXdiag and see if your video card is in fact your actual video card and not the onboard one? (updates have at times reset that and your onboard one will probably be weak as hell)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I noticed this thing as well, but thankfully, only with my sound card (it's a Sound Blaster Audigy RX...nothing fancy, mind you). After the updates, the system somehow wants to detect sound on my...MONITOR. I have to manuall re-set the preferred device as the sound card. XP never did that, I have no clue what's up with this.
The resolution bug only happened once, and it went away after a little messing around with the resolution settings. This Spring, I shall finally get rid of this ancient CRT monitor anyways...
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

What parts are in your computer? Your hardware might not be properly supported by Windows 10.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I fix sound by deleting WMP. I dont know how all sound settings be binded with it, but it solved. Now left only graphics.
insightguy wrote:I don't think so, My computer has that update and it seems to be working fine, can you check DXdiag and see if your video card is in fact your actual video card and not the onboard one? (updates have at times reset that and your onboard one will probably be weak as hell)
It see my videocards, but its simple dont want to use external.
In device manager I see onboard videocard and external, I see that it has newest driver, when I try launch something it still can be choosen "run using nvidia processor/run using integrated videocard". But it dont use it, it still run games using integrated videocard.
In dxdiag it see and use only integrated videocard. If I "delete" or turn if off in device manager it start show "base microsoft driver", which mean "all graphic stuuf now draw CPU", I think, instead of "nvidia 630m".
PermaNoob wrote:What parts are in your computer? Your hardware might not be properly supported by Windows 10.
Work on previous windows build version, but not on current!?
Asus K75VM
Intel Core i7 2.4, GeForce GT630M.
Originaly it have windows 7, but several years ago it arbitrarily update to windows 10.

Also, while I search way to solve my problem I found that windows have FREE and not demanding version of windows 7 named windows thin. It even can be downloaded form microsoft site. I think if I cant solve graphic issue I try this.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Apeirogon wrote:Also, while I search way to solve my problem I found that windows have FREE and not demanding version of windows 7 named windows thin. It even can be downloaded form microsoft site. I think if I cant solve graphic issue I try this.
You don't want Windows Thin PC.
Windows Thin PC (WinTPC) is a stripped down version of Windows 7 for legacy PCs that do not have the resources to support a full version of Windows 7. WinTPC includes some management features of the full Windows 7 operating system, but end users can’t run services, business applications such as Microsoft Office, or store data locally.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Apeirogon wrote:
PermaNoob wrote:What parts are in your computer? Your hardware might not be properly supported by Windows 10.
Work on previous windows build version, but not on current!?
Asus K75VM
Intel Core i7 2.4, GeForce GT630M.
Originaly it have windows 7, but several years ago it arbitrarily update to windows 10.
Well, yeah, Microsoft breaks old stuff all the time. My 360 controller worked perfectly until an update a few months back, now it stops working until reboot when I wake my PC from sleep (pretty odd since it's an official peripheral using the default drivers).

But anyway, there should be no issue with those parts so I have no idea what's wrong in this case.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Windows 10 is just not suitable for a robust experience. I only have one installed in a virtual machine at work, but last time it forced an update on me that VM was unresponsive for several hours in which I couldn't do the work I need it for.

Microsoft really needs to learn how to make system updates robust and seamless.
I never had any similar problems with my private Windows 8.1 system. That one's rock solid and the main reason is probably the lack of poorly tested feature updates.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

For anyone using Windows 10, I highly recommend going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Advanced options, and change it to this:

Semi-Annual Channel means that you won't be part of Microsoft's QA team. Delaying the feature and security updates means you won't be the one that gets the first batch of updates before a patch has been properly tested.

I can also recommend to set the "active hours" to stop the damn thing from rebooting when you go to the toilet.

Sadly it won't prevent the 1.5 hour service pack update thing Graf complained about..
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Yes, that big update every six months is like upgrading to a new Windows version and will certainly cause problems. Sooner or later you'll be hit by the black screen bug and to solve it you need to turn off the computer early in the boot process several times to enter safe mode and uninstall the video driver (no, funnily enough you cannot enter safe mode directly anymore).
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

I'm just curious, how the heck have I not experienced most of the shit that windows users seem to have? Is it because I'm just lucky or am I doing something right/wrong? Because at times, I feel like a red shirt that just walked out of a WW1 battlefield unscathed from the number of people saying that shit went wrong with any Microsoft OS. What with all the complaints on how windows 10 is mega-shit or something. Hell, I even had a friend tell me about how some ghost program was eating up his ram for no reason.

In any case, I'll still follow dpJudas's advice just in case.

Murphy better not come for my ass.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Speaking as another "works for me" person, I'd say is a combination of the following:

- The people who have negative comments are often the loudest.
- Nobody really pays much attention when things are working fine.

Return to “Off-Topic”