Destructive upgrade

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Destructive upgrade

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:I always trigger a lot of non-Windows users (especially Mac hipsters and Linux enthusiasts) when I keep defending Windows as a solid OS to use.

I once have managed to get a Mac into a totally unstable state so anyone trying to tell me that "Blah-OS is inherently more stable than Windows" would get the appropriate response from me.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The arguments over what OS is better are plain silly.

It all comes down to preference. As for me, I outlined the issues I have with Windows, and to make it clear it's all to state why *I* prefer Linux - not why anyone else should prefer Linux. I know there are huge issues with getting someone who is computer illiterate and used to Windows to use Linux and it's not something I would try to force on them. Nor would I try and belittle them for using Windows. I don't consider Windows a "solid" OS by any means, especially with the issues I've had with it personally, but like every other OS (FreeBSD, Linux, Mac) it has its own set of issues and nothing is ever going to be perfect, anyway.

Linux is far from perfect and has a number of issues of its own, but at its core it has a very solid architecture, in my opinion.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Apeirogon wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:Their system services circumvent any user attempt to block them.
Long, long ago, in far, far away windows xp,in time when unlimited internet was only a dream, it works. Xp cant even check for any upgrades.
If Windows 10 has figured out how to undo a HOSTS-level block of the update servers, then that's good. I once tried to block updates on a less-legit install of Win10 in this way, and all that succeeded in doing was causing a fullscreen pop-up error every few hours that the update servers could not be contacted. Far more irritating than updates. I wouldn't suggest it.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Graf Zahl wrote: I once have managed to get a Mac into a totally unstable state so anyone trying to tell me that "Blah-OS is inherently more stable than Windows" would get the appropriate response from me.
Same here, but with Windows. I once tried to apply a third-party theme to Windows 10 and it got it unusable to the point where I had no chance but to use my alternate Linux installation to fix that with renaming the filename of Aero theme to that theme filename.

So, anyone arguing about what OS is better would get the appropriate response from me.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I've seen the last 5 Linux servers I've owned die in a data center after I did a "sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo reboot". Do I win a prize now?

This discussion is stupid. If we measure the quality of an OS by whether someone saw one of them crap itself, then we don't have a single quality OS out there..
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Correct. But that's the usual argument you get, in particular from hardcore Apple fans.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Every OS sucks...

(yes that's a song)
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Is it legal, dont give me read end-user license agreement?
I found this in log file of upgrader.
2018-03-02 23:32:59.889, Info [InitializeLog] Start...
2018-03-02 23:32:59.889, Info [CStateManager::LogCommandLineParameters] Command line parameters: "C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" /Install /ClientID Win10Upgrade:VNL:EosWuV2:{} /SkipEULA /EosUi
2018-03-02 23:32:59.889, Info [CStateManager::LogCommandLineParameters] User selected to skip EULA
2018-03-02 23:32:59.889, Info [CStateManager::LogCommandLineParameters] User selected to go through vanilla EOS
Not that I truly read it, but still...
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Seems like the upgrader was asked to not show the EULA. I think it happens because you actually installed it from Windows Update.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

But it installed by himself. I dont ever ever launch windows update, its launch by windows.
It launch by himself and install something by itself, only saying me "hey, I install new spy probe on your PC, dont turn it of, or...."

And last time it install upgrade without any pop-up window "read our slave contract end user agreement" with check mark "I read and I accept it".
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Apeirogon wrote:Is it legal, dont give me read end-user license agreement?
The Windows 10 EULA explicitly mentions that it also covers "any Microsoft updates, upgrades, supplements or services for the software". I assume it's just skipping the thing you already accepted when installing Windows.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

On the matter of UWP, I recently broke it in my computer. So you will have to avoid UWP anyway.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Cacodemon345 wrote:On the matter of UWP, I recently broke it in my computer. So you will have to avoid UWP anyway.
"We" will "have" to avoid nothing. We only avoid UWP because it is a decidedly inconvenient and crappy platform to develop on, with its only real advantage that it is supported on Windows Phone - something Microsoft pretty much stopped trying to force on us because I think they finally realized it is dead.

You really should be researching all this stuff yourself, particularly with fixing UWP since certain Windows configurations are locked behind it even as shitty as it is - rather than simply parroting everything others tell you.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:I think they finally realized it is dead.
I actually believe they knew for a long time it's dead, but for the sake of their public corporate image couldn't admit it earlier. So they gradually shut it down through some internal 'restructurings' that could be sold to their investors without them getting a heart attack, until the time was right to admit defeat. Now, if they phased out UWP on desktop as well, it'd be a win-win for everybody. I think that sandboxed or at least fully encapsulated Win32 apps are a good thing, after seeing how easy it is on Mac to install and uninstall software, but as long as it's all mired with that UWP mess we may be saddled with those hideous installers that can screw up the entire system for a long time.

@cacodemon345:

How can you 'break' UWP? For that you must have fucked around with your system config quite carelessly.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Graf Zahl wrote: @cacodemon345:

How can you 'break' UWP? For that you must have fucked around with your system config quite carelessly.
I was attempting to run GTA 5 on my computer. Once I got it to work, it totally f***ed up my display. I hard rebooted and there go, UWP is now completely broken.
Also, I used Microsoft's email account that I created to sign up here, so the notifications got buried behind the (now unusable) UWP Mail app and therefore I used Outlook Web to reach this thread.
I think upgrading Windows is my only way to avoid headaches of setting up everything again, but who knows? The future upgrade might introduce issues similar to OP's one.

Return to “Off-Topic”