Musics for mapping?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Ravick

Musics for mapping?

Post by Ravick »

So... this is NOT a resurrection of the What are you Listening thread! This should NOT get hundreds of posts!

The idea is to post soundtracks collections to listen while mapping. What do you listen when you are modding? Relaxing musics? Creepy Ambient songs? Action/metal themed melodies? Movies soundtracks, maybe? Let us know, post a collection or compilation to us to listen too!

Remember: this is not a thread to post every week what songs you think is cool, or you are simple listening. Lets not waste forum's space. The idea is to share (LONG) collections that are good to listen if you are going to mod DooM for, well, hours. :)

For a start, despite I'm not a fan of the Chrono Series, I like to listen to this when I'm mapping for long times:
Spoiler:
_______
(Well, I hope this is not against any forum's rule! D: If so, I apologize!)
Reactor

Re: Musics for mapping?

Post by Reactor »

This may sound amusing, but I use the actual level's intended soundtrack for mapping :) I don't really know, it helps me being more "there" and gives me excellent ideas what else should be on the level.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I actually used to play remixes and performances of Doom 1 / 2 music. It helped me stay in the "Doom" mood.

Such as the most amazing guitar rendition of MAP09:
Spoiler:
All of elguitarTom's sweet metal versions of Doom songs, like this E1M5 cover:
Spoiler:
And on the softer side, things like my favorite version of Final Doom's Wormhole
Spoiler:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I usually listen to eerie tracks when mapping to reinforce that spooky Doom atmosphere. E1M5 fits the bill. I actually quite like the version RexS linked, although I find that one to be more action-oriented than spooky.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I do as Reactor does. Or if the music is being too repetitive, I put on an album. I typically find stuff from the 80's to produce best results. :D
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hellser wrote:I do as Reactor does. Or if the music is being too repetitive, I put on an album. I typically find stuff from the 80's to produce best results. :D
And it appears to be working :) :) :)
I do not know exactly, why, but when I create the background music for the level first, and then start building the level itself, the end results were much more appealing and professional than making a level while listening to other kinds of music, or letting a movie (or cartoon) run in the background. I haven't the slightest idea why the two results are so drastically different, but they are. So already having the corresponding song to a level yields remarkable results :)
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

When I'm making the spooky house tc I Always listen the spooky house ambient music for 2 hours...
Because I have to let the original game window opened to copy paste the sector by the look D:

For other kind of maps:
-Lo Fi Hip Hop
-Some Heavy Metal music
-Old games music

Return to “Off-Topic”