How to Port the Linux Doom Code to windows tutorial

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
megan21

How to Port the Linux Doom Code to windows tutorial

Post by megan21 »

Hey I need some advice on going about porting the doom linux code here https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM
to windows I know about other devs saying they use sdl but I want to make sure that I got the right direction....
So what I would love to have is a port for windows that simple classic doom port that can run fan made wads and the iwad that's it...
any advice to get started I need some kind of tutorial.... One thing I don't want to fork from other builds like zdoom or prboom ect....
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: How to Port the Linux Doom Code to windows tutorial

Post by Rachael »

There is no "quick and easy" way like you seem to be asking for. You either have to find a library that will translate Linux API calls to another platform, or you will have to do that completely yourself.

What you're doing is essentially reinventing the wheel - Chocolate Doom already does exactly what you are asking for here, Crispy Doom is pretty good as well having some extended features.

Other than that, you can download Cygwin and try to compile it on there.

Source code editing isn't the kind of thing that really comes with tutorials. It's more the kind of thing that you have to dive right into and experiment with and see what works and what breaks.
megan21

Post by megan21 »

Alright thanks for taking the time to come over and help me.....
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Hope you've got some programming knowledge. What Rachael said but probably you could save yourself a lot of work forking from WinDoom, it ran very fast (required a 486 and win95) and used Visual C++ (but of course the source was still in C). Recently a guy managed to compile it with a modern Visual Studio but i think there was still some issue with the code.

Return to “Off-Topic”