John Cena to star in Duke Nukem movie

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
spoone

John Cena to star in Duke Nukem movie

Post by spoone »

variety.com/2018/film/news/john-cena-duke-nukem-movie-1202673127/

Ugh. He's like the worst choice honestly. It doesen't help that Platinum Dunes is making this either. That's right Michael Bay is producing this. Fuck.
Scripten

Re: John Cena to star in Duke Nukem movie

Post by Scripten »

It's not like Duke is particularly deep or original. Don't get me wrong, I love D3D, but the character was never anything more than a derivative action hero stuffed with pop culture references.

Not that I think the movie will be good, but what would constitute a "good" Duke Nukem movie?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I can't see him as nukem.

either way, a deserved fate given the downfall of the misogynist reference dork franchise anyway, What made Duke3D great for me is long forgotten about
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Scripten wrote:It's not like Duke is particularly deep or original. Don't get me wrong, I love D3D, but the character was never anything more than a derivative action hero stuffed with pop culture references.

Not that I think the movie will be good, but what would constitute a "good" Duke Nukem movie?
That was true about his character design in 3+. The first game, especially, that wasn't his character direction.

I'm not too big on video game movies, with few exceptions. Duke Nukem has always been my favorite franchise growing up, from 1, 2, 3(D), 4(Ever) and all of the spin offs. I loved Forever, even, and don't understand what all the hate was about. There are moments and problems that you can see from the long development time (a dig at Master Chief 20 years later? Come on, now. Also the dual weapons, which was thankfully removed in an update.) It will never compare to 3, but it was still a blast.

But a good Duke Nukem movie is kind of hard to do, especially if it isn't X-rated. Duke is about saving America (and the world), sex, alcohol, and violence. If this movie is PG-13, it is fucking doomed. If it's "R", it might be alright, but I'll save my hopes for the word "good" until after I see it. lol
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

This could work as a sort of satire-satire where the notion of an 80s testosterone-fueled over-the-top action hero having to cope with a modern politically correct society is itself parodied... somehow. Then again, I'm not sure if John Cena can pull a movie like this off, and if any studio would spent the tens of millions neccessary for an action movie that is not jsut an action movie and which would be hard to market and find an audience for.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Jon St John was complaining about this, and I'd honestly I agree with him. Duke is more or less his character, and the voice is 90% of what Duke means.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Too bad Gearbox makes the decisions, not Jon St John.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Why does everyone hate Michael Bay? I for one love his movies and his style. I hope the movie happens and that it does well. Then again we already have a Duke Nukem movie... it's called They Live.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Nevander wrote:Why does everyone hate Michael Bay? I for one love his movies and his style. I hope the movie happens and that it does well. Then again we already have a Duke Nukem movie... it's called They Live.
Because he's a hack that doesn't know how to make movies. He know how to make money, by adding lots of explosions in scenes that don't even warrant them, because stupid teenagers will buy enough movie tickets to make him a billionaire. But his garbage directing and work is an insult to true film art, and it is probably making Stanley Kubrick turn in his grave.

Also, I agree that it won't be Duke without JSJ. They should have done an animated film, to be honest. The comics were hilariously great, so I think it would have translated well in to an animated medium over live action acting.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

RexS wrote:
Nevander wrote:Why does everyone hate Michael Bay? I for one love his movies and his style. I hope the movie happens and that it does well. Then again we already have a Duke Nukem movie... it's called They Live.
Because he's a hack that doesn't know how to make movies. He know how to make money, by adding lots of explosions in scenes that don't even warrant them, because stupid teenagers will buy enough movie tickets to make him a billionaire. But his garbage directing and work is an insult to true film art, and it is probably making Stanley Kubrick turn in his grave.

In all seriousness though. He has directed plenty of flops in the recent years. People just kinda want him to go away.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the perfect actor to star as Duke Nukem, obviously.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

LARL those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZTFdO4a_ew
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I don't think Arnold's cut for it vocally-wise. A blond Howie "eurrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhghhhhh real monsters" Long would work better

also considering everything in Duke3D exploded with a mushroom cloud, Michael Bay is the most fitting director for it already. The "hack" goes well with a hack of a shallow macho character that a generation whooshed by it see as an unhealthy role model..
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

It would definitely be an amusement to watch this movie flopping.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

RexS wrote:Because he's a hack that doesn't know how to make movies. He know how to make money, by adding lots of explosions in scenes that don't even warrant them, because stupid teenagers will buy enough movie tickets to make him a billionaire. But his garbage directing and work is an insult to true film art, and it is probably making Stanley Kubrick turn in his grave.
Because Duke Nukem is high art. Explosions, gun fights, scantily clad women, men on steroids, and a whole heaping of cheese is what I'd expect out of a Duke movie, and Bay isn't far off that. At least it's not Uwe Boll, who doesn't even know what "entertainment" is.

Return to “Off-Topic”