Commercial Game ideas

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Commercial Game ideas

Post by kevansevans »

Rachael wrote:I haven't really decided yet how to cut the profits from the game but I was thinking of giving everyone equal share, if possible, at least for the first one.
From my experience trying to get workshop content into TF2, Steam allows you to designate the percentage share of profits to each person that you have on your team. Each person does have to jump through a bit of legal work to receive revenue, but it's fairly easy and straight forward.
Rachael wrote:As I've announced in Discord I've picked a team, but the team itself is not yet final. If you are interested I would definitely encourage you to still post as such here - people may resign, or I may need to expand the team, so the possibilities are still open. (Or someone else may pick you up for their project. :P)
Ah I see, but I'm still up for it if you need more people. I know I don't have a lot to show to prove myself, but I am willing to prove myself Rachael-senpai.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

kevansevans wrote:Ah I see, but I'm still up for it if you need more people. I know I don't have a lot to show to prove myself, but I am willing to prove myself Rachael-senpai.
That is good to hear. :) I am waiting to see how it goes with my initial team picks to decide what to do. I've already pitched a couple of storyline ideas and waiting to see if they come up with any, themselves.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well, Eruanna, pickin' the development team was the easy part. The hard part is gonna make'em work together without trying to modify or alter each other's ideas to their likings :D It's not an easy thing here at the Lambda Team either, and we're close friends for more than ten years now!
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

You know I'm still up for mapping if you need more of those.

Regardless, good luck with the project!
Dark Pulse
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dark Pulse »

Wow, stinks that I didn't find this topic until a bit too late!

Most of what I do is writing and worldbuilding. There I've got no problem building up a lore or coming up with ideas - it's my main strength. I write stories for fun, and cranking out 2000 words in an hour is doable for me (if on the high end of what I can do). For over a year I wrote a story that I released the chapters serially - 4000 words per week, sometimes twice that or even a bit more (arc-enders). Hell, I've got an "ideas file" from years ago where I'd just write down whatever story/lore drabble came to mind - at least one of these could probably be put to use pretty much immediately.

Otherwise, my main talents would probably either be mapping (whether coming up with maps or tweaking someone else's), or voice acting (which I've always wanted to dabble in). Unreal Engine 1/2 would be my main areas of experience; I could probably pick up UE3 or UE4 fairly quickly, and I've dabbled in mapping for GZDoom, to the point where I know more or less what I'm doing and I just haven't really committed to making a map yet. Unity is also a possibility - though admittedly I haven't made anything on it, I hear it's very user-friendly, so I doubt it'd take too much to get up to speed on it.

While I don't have much to show for scratch in this community, I was part of the teams for some mod projects for UT2004, specifically CTF4 (which added four teams to a normally two-team game) and Unreal Tournament Revolution (which aimed to recreate UT99 in UT2004). My work on both of those was mostly mapping-related; in CTF4 I was the mapping lead, adjusting two-team maps to four-team ones, and in UTR I contributed a few maps (namely the remakes of CTF-Coret, DM-Liandri, and DM-Tempest - probably other stuff too that I can't remember). Hence, I'm fully comfortable with working in a team, and not leaking stuff out - indeed, with both mods I actually learned how to do SVN, not that SVN is in vogue anymore.

Besides that, I've been part of a bunch of games' closed betas: Hawken, both Section 8 games, and Planetside 2 come to mind, so I fully understand NDAs and the like.

So if you guys decide you'd like some more people, hopefully I'm someone you could consider. :)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

The only thing I could really contribute would be maps, if anything. I have some experience with map design in various engines but other than that zero experience with programming, engine code, netcode, art assets, graphics or sound. So yea my ability begins and ends with maps unfortunately. I'm a rather untalented person. :x

The bigger question is would this be something I could handle, I dunno. I have my own project going on that I'm already slacking on so yea.
Zan

Post by Zan »

I'd love to take part, but sadly the TC I'm working on is already keeping me way over preoccupied. I'd love to see how this idea evolves, though, I'm not kidding when I say I'd join.
Who knows, maybe when I finish Hedon you guys will have an open spot for an architect. :D
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

I didn't see this until entirely too late.

Good luck to everyone involved! I've done quite a bit of work with indie game design and it can be a very tough thing to break into, but I know everyone ITT would have the wherewithal to pull it off.
60dollartechdemo

Post by 60dollartechdemo »

I'm too late, aren't I? Oh well, I know I'm hardly a regular on this forum - but I'm available if you need an extra artist. I can work with Photoshop and Illustrator (I use them all the time at my day job) but lately I've been getting back into drawing on a tablet. Haven't got much to show yet but am willing to prove myself. I can also make very basic 3D models in Blender.

In the mean time, I have my own ambitious idea for a game. Something I don't think anyone has really done before (or at least hasn't done well...)
Trance

Post by Trance »

I've got it! What if we make a $60 tech demo
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I like the idea, Trance...but where exactly should we publish it to gain support and notoriety? Kickstarter maybe?
Zan

Post by Zan »

I'm curious, though, will you guys use GZ/QZDoom, or move to another engine since you want to make a commercial game?
CWolf

Post by CWolf »

Zan wrote:I'm curious, though, will you guys use GZ/QZDoom, or move to another engine since you want to make a commercial game?
I'll stay on GZ for my first game. Why not?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Trance wrote:I've got it! What if we make a $60 tech demo
$60 for an indie game? that's EA levels of greed mixed with Square enix levels of over expectations. I'd argue $30 is the best you can hope for on a first release, and that's pushing it.
Reactor wrote:I like the idea, Trance...but where exactly should we publish it to gain support and notoriety? Kickstarter maybe?
kickstarter is only a good idea if:
  1. you already have a working demo
  2. already have a portfolio that matches with the product
  3. are able to accurately plot out how you handle the money and how much you need
first one is a goal, second one is a must to even succeed, and the third ensures that all that cash you got does not end up in a money sink that ends with people wanting your head.

kickstarter should be a goal, not a starting point.
Zan wrote:I'm curious, though, will you guys use GZ/QZDoom, or move to another engine since you want to make a commercial game?
I'd honestly bet on it being GZ or QZ, unless rachel wants to code an entire engine from scratch, work with what you have and know.

Have you guys seen the development of yandere simulator? I'd argue that's the sort of development you guys should aim for:
  • transparent development clear to the public
  • Clear goals and endpoints to minimize feature creep
  • Public feedback (take this with a pinch of salt because salty people can give salty feedback. salt salt salt)
  • (optional) A youtube channel dedicated to the development progress
  • (optional) Find a GOOD publisher to partner with (Nightdive? Devolver? EA?)
Though feel free to yell at me on how this is a bad Idea.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Zan wrote:I'd love to take part, but sadly the TC I'm working on is already keeping me way over preoccupied. I'd love to see how this idea evolves, though, I'm not kidding when I say I'd join.
Who knows, maybe when I finish Hedon you guys will have an open spot for an architect. :D
That's a real shame, because you're definitely one of the people who I'd want to join. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”