Walmart mini arcade machines!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Naniyue

Walmart mini arcade machines!

Post by Naniyue »

Do you remember/know about the old Coleco tabletop arcade machines from the early 80's? Well, here's an example of the new stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8wnaa4T-8

I only found out about these yesterday, but apparently they've been available for several months. They aren't arcade exact, but are definitely leaps and bounds ahead of the old stuff. Go check 'em out!
Naniyue

Re: Walmart mini arcade machines!

Post by Naniyue »

Well, I got the Frogger one for my friend, and the Joust one for myself. The Frogger one kinda feels like the version in Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced for the GBA. The Joust one seems like a slightly modified version of the NES port. It looks really neat sitting next to my monitor, begging for me to play it! The pac man one is a bit disappointing, but also interesting. It could have easily been arcade perfect, but they seem to have gone with an old-style Coleco look. They gave the same VFD-like treatment to Asteroids, but unfortunately you can only rotate in a circle rather than have full-range movement. I'm tempted to get the pac man one, as I had fond memories of the Coleco one as a kid. The centipede one isn't bad, but again feels more like an NES job. Anyway, fun stuff! I feel like posing an action figure with mine and taking pictures!
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hmm....you know...can you make little arcade machines as static objects for GZDoom? :) They would be awesome for city levels. Maybe an old ColecoVision, too :)

MATEL ELEKTRONIX PRESENTS
BEEEEEEE SEVENTEEEEEEN BAUUUMEEEEEEER!!!!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Reactor wrote:MATEL ELEKTRONIX PRESENTS
BEEEEEEE SEVENTEEEEEEN BAUUUMEEEEEEER!!!!
BEEEEEEE SEVENTEEEEEN BAUUUUUMERRR!!!

Alright, let's try this.

MATEL ELEKTRONIX PRESENTS...
BOM SQUAAAD

Anyways, the mini arcade machines are nifty but.. I'd prefer having the real thing.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

TEH KOAD TEH KOAD, FIGUR OUT TEH KOAD!!!
IT WONT BI EEEEZIIII!!! :D

I wish I had a voice synthesis module like that, it'd be perfect for creating radio-style in-game messages.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Off topic but, long after I was grown, I found out the 2600 had a peripheral that played eight tracks!

Back on topic, sort of, I'm thinking of turning an old DS of mine into a mini arcade machine. Get some nice cardboard, print out some stickers, and fashion a joystick to fit over the d-pad.

Apparently, Target got a line of mini arcade games as well. I've read they are not as good, but I haven't actually tried them yet.

I'd like to have the real thing myself, and about five certain pinball tables, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun with these as well.

You can get a device that allows you to plug an actual arcade motherboard into your PC.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I had one distict arcade machine which I always wanted to play on PC - the game PropCycle. I know there exists MAME, but for some reason, it didn't run on my previous machine (it was a piece-a-shit AMD). It's a very great and innovative game, it would really deserve a PC-port.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

You'd need a damn good machine to run such via MAME. Other emulators, such as ZINC or Model 2 Emu run some of these 3D games wonderfully, but I don't think there's currently one for Prop Cycle. :(
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Dag-nabbit, I hope this new rig of mine can run MAME and PropCycle flawlessly! It's certainly good enough for GTA 5, soooooooooo...

Take a look at the PropCycle videos, it's a really unique concept. The actual arcade machine had real bicycle pedals, and the in-game speed was determined how quickly you pedal. If you wanted to slow down or submerge, you needed to slow down, and to accelerate or emerge, you gained speed by pedaling faster. Just like a real bike. I always loved riding a bicycle (and I hate driving a car), and I have a really fast bike - the Morning Breeze - so I always fancied this particular arcade machine. Too bad it has relatively few levels.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Fun gaming and exercise in one! I could get behind that!

I hate driving as well, but put me on a bicycle, motor scooter, or a small dirt bike, and I'm in my element. They're just the right size that I can still use all of my senses as if I was just walking. Can't do that in a car, unless it's one of those sub subcompact cars with the windows down. And I hate rear view mirrors. It never felt natural to me. I prefer turning my head. Actually, I ride an electric bike to work.

Back on topic, kinda, Family Dollar has two different mini arcade units with a couple hundred games built in, as well as a GBAish shaped one. They look like the next step past the old VG Pocket Caplet. I had lots of fun with that little thing, but good luck finding one today that still works!

Return to “Off-Topic”