max to md3

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Apeirogon

max to md3

Post by Apeirogon »

I have model in 3d_max_7 with 344 frame of animations. How export it into md3?
Cherno

Re: max to md3

Post by Cherno »

I'm not sure about the animations, but I would try exporting it to obj and then import it to Blender or Milkshape, and then export to md3 from there.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

You can try Noesis.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Nothing else but 3DSMax can read Max. There is no "converter" for max. You are stuck exporting from Max directly to MD3 with Npherno's MD3 compiler. Had you been an artist that uses 3dsmax you would have already known what you were getting into with limited legacy pipelines.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

The asset pipeline for Autodesk products is that you first export things to FBX and then from there you import the FBX into the tool that needs the model. I'm not sure if anyone made a FBX->MD3 converter, though.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Cherno wrote:I'm not sure about the animations, but I would try exporting it to obj and then import it to Blender or Milkshape, and then export to md3 from there.
Its works, but only for one frame. Time for other 343 frame...
dpJudas wrote:FBX
leileilol wrote:Nothing else but 3DSMax can read Max. There is no "converter" for max. You are stuck exporting from Max directly to MD3 with Npherno's MD3 compiler. Had you been an artist that uses 3dsmax you would have already known what you were getting into with limited legacy pipelines.
Maybe that because I rip models from other game directly in their original, max, format, with animations and bones? to put it into (g)(z)doom.

dpJudas wrote:The asset pipeline for Autodesk products is t hat you first export things to FBX and then from there you import the FBX into the tool that needs the model. I'm not sure if anyone made a FBX->MD3 converter, though.
Problem is that if I convert this max to any other format, inside 3d max, it convert only one frame that show at this moment. I dont know how transfer all animations without exporting all frame one by one and then glued it one to other. nd that take wery long time, exept I get how do it in Lua script in max itself.
R4L wrote:You can try Noesis.
I try.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Apeirogon wrote: Problem is that if I convert this max to any other format, inside 3d max, it convert only one frame that show at this moment. I dont know how transfer all animations without exporting all frame one by one and then glued it one to other. nd that take wery long time, exept I get how do it in Lua script in max itself.
The FBX exporter inside 3ds Max can export the entire animation timeline, including bones and such. The intended workflow from Autodesk is that the importer uses the FBX SDK to read the FBX file and chop the timeline into multiple animations. The SDK can help bake it into frames if that is what it takes for the destination tool to consume it.

Using Max scripting or a plugin is generally not a very good idea as it requires a very advanced implementation to cover all the various modifiers and other features in Max.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Okay, is it works with max 7(2004) and what should I do next with this fbx to get md3?

Return to “Off-Topic”