32X Ultimate Doom Mod

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: 32X Ultimate Doom Mod

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

So is it easier to mod/hack the 32x than the Saturn?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

It doesn't matter if it's easier or harder to mod/hack the 32x versus other console ports. The justification for them doing this is just so they can - it's a learning experience. It's fun. It's doing what might of have been previously thought to be impossible. Maybe the author of this mod owned the 32x in their youth - and played Doom on it before they realized the superiority that is the PC.

In the end, it's just because they can. There's no other why or reason.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Hellser wrote:It doesn't matter if it's easier or harder to mod/hack the 32x versus other console ports.
I would say it does. I mean, even you yourself sort of admits it when you said "It's doing what might of have been previously thought to be impossible".
Hellser wrote:Maybe the author of this mod owned the 32x in their youth - and played Doom on it before they realized the superiority that is the PC.
That would already be a more interesting answer than just "It's fun". Also, it would be coming from the author themself, not someone extrapolating on their behalf...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:That would already be a more interesting answer than just "It's fun". Also, it would be coming from the author themself, not someone extrapolating on their behalf...
Then why not go ask the author yourself?
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Apparently not lol. I'm used to it though. Most of my friends are all like "why would you play doom when there's call of duty newer is better".

In any case, from what I've read, the Saturn version was going to use VDP1 which would have made it faster but John Carmack didn't like the texture warping or something like that so they wrote most of it to use the SH-2 instead. You wouldn't think it would be that much of a difference since the 32x used the SH-2 as well, however it's prob way slower just for the plain fact that there's like 4 times as many resources and it's all accessed from an optical disk instead of a cartridge. Hell if it wasn't for the shitty rushed GEMS music and the six cut levels, 32x would prob have been the best home port (at least until PlayStation Doom came out)

Return to “Off-Topic”