Gaming clichés?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Gaming clichés?

Post by Kinsie »

Reactor wrote:I have a special request for you. This may sound strange, but I desire to know more gaming clichés - preferably of FPS games - which are commonly used in most games.
TV Tropes has existed for how many years now? Go there. You'll get all the examples you want, as dissected of their context as you want.

EDIT: Nearly 14 years. That's how old TV Tropes is.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Naniyue wrote:I can't BELIEVE I didn't list this first:

!!!!!!!!TIME LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!

Who says Mario can't take a few extra seconds to judge a jump? Does he really have to die the moment some celestial clock runs out? Is the air really that poisonous in Gauntlet? Actually, I understand time limits a little more in arcade games, as the whole point is to take your money, but in a home version they should be adjustable!
You're right,I almost forgot. How could I, as this is one of the most hated things in gaming...oh well. The time limit without a reason is another overused (and totally unsubstantiated) cliché. If the time limit has a good reason, it's fine. If there is none, it's just shit.

Kinsie: I know about the TVTropes site, and how it lists all tropes, however, it does not sort or list stuff especially related to gaming. It names a trope, then brings examples of tropes, or names a movie/game/book etc. and lists ALL the tropes found in it, and even the aversions. So it's not very useful in this case.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Tight time limits.
I really hate them in games like Driver.

If you arrive late in a car that is in ruins, it's over.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Gaming clichés about author lazyness. Unfortunately for us, they are quite popular:

- 90% of the doors cannot be opened, they're only decorations.

- Invisible walls or Sudden Death Syndrome to box the player.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Reactor wrote:If the time limit has a good reason, it's fine. If there is none, it's just shit.
You just described 100% of game mechanics! :P
Reactor wrote:- 90% of the doors cannot be opened, they're only decorations.

- Invisible walls or Sudden Death Syndrome to box the player.
Imagine that you are a professional mapper working in a development studio. Your assignment is to model a convincing city. Are you going to model several hundred interiors under time and budget constraints? How about doing the same for four or five neighboring cities, lest you box the player into one? Commercial game development isn't done by hobbyists with all the time they want.

On that note: Developers being blamed for anything and everything one finds the slightest bit irritating. You can bet most studios would rather be fixing bugs and improving gameplay than adding loot boxes, but alas! The publisher makes those decisions.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

The 90% locked/fake doors can be avoided in many simple and creative ways. It's fine when 5-10 doors are locked, and it's eligibly reasoned, why (warning signs, padlock, barricade, cave-in, broken door...tons of possibilities). The problem is, graphicists don't even try to be creative. They use the same door texture for almost all doors, some of them can be opened, others can't. I'm fully aware that you can't barge into every single house at a city level, but...does that city level REALLY needs to be THAT huge? I mean...in Grand Theft Auto, it's forgettable that you can't enter any building you wish, FPS games, however, which only feature a segment of a settlement, is a different kettle of fish. It's hard to explain :)

To quote the Nerd on this: "Can't go here, can't go there, can't do this, can't do that...sheesh!!!"

This stereotype of unopenable doors appeared somewhere around the 1997-98, and it's still being used relentlessly by nearly all FPS-developing teams.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

... And a lot of well-made games do it, too. "There's nothing in there" is a perfectly valid reason to block a door off... No mapper is spending a bunch of time adding pointless dead-end rooms or detailing a lot of inconsequential background objects in a way that draws attention to them. Reusing textures from normal doors I can understand being miffed at, but it doesn't make the whole practice bad. :sadno:

(Unfortunately, I think this topic is just a salt mine regardless.)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Reactor wrote:The time limit without a reason is another overused (and totally unsubstantiated) cliché. If the time limit has a good reason, it's fine. If there is none, it's just shit.
It depends entirely on the game. Not everything is striving for ultimate realism and immersion. A time limit adds to the challenge of the game, preventing you from dawdling. Just like the game designer makes it so you can't take infinite hits, they make it so you can't take infinite time. You have to get through the stage with few enough hits in a short enough time or you lose and need to try again. And at least in earlier games, you were awarded more points for getting through faster, encouraging you to try to do better next time (or for secrets, by ending at certain times to get bonus points).

Continues and lives were a thing that serve no real mechanical purpose. They were there to encourage you to dump more quarters in arcades, but on home systems where each play is "free" and you can quit at any time, they don't add much. These don't really exist in modern games anymore though, and even the original Doom decided to drop them.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

It's fine if they really block the door, or make it clear why you can't enter. Making a wall, painting a door texture on it is anything but creative and reasonable. Adding a huge lock, chains, or a few boards is all it needs :)

Another cliché is what was present since Wolfenstein 3-D: The player begins the world/empire-saving quest only with the absolute minimal supplies! A sidearm & knife, no additional supplies, no medikits, no nothing. Yes, I know, in these cases, the hero always starts as a prisoner or a last survivor of a team, and this is necessary to retain the game's progressivity, but this is still a highly popularized phenomenon in FPS games.

Timed levels are fine, if the countdown actually has some purpose. Like...a nuclear reactor is melting down (sounds fitting in such topic), a friend of yours will be executed, the enemy wants to blow up a bridge, or something like that. If the time limit is there just to make you move faster, it is actually contra-productive - the player wants to hurry, he skips important supplies, has no time to find secret areas with important powerups, and messes up jumps, or gets killed by enemies as fighting them would slow him down. I was never really fond of time-runners, I don't know, I like to do perfect runs on a level (100% kill, 100% items, 100% secret), but there are of course the speedrunners, who has no problems with rushing to the exit dead on time :) I guess it is a matter of taste.

Continues and lives serve no purpose if there is a save system. It's a small leftover from the arcade-era, where the game's purpose was to swallow more and more quarters from you, as you pointed out. Unfortunately, there are still some games, which don't let you save the game, and uses checkpoints instead (yes, FPS games too), so it's not really a fashion-fad.
Last edited by Reactor on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Reactor wrote:Another cliché is what was present since Wolfenstein 3-D: The player begins the world/empire-saving quest only with the absoluet minimal supplies! A sidearm & knife, no additional supplies, no medikits, no nothing. Yes, I know, in these cases, the hero always starts as a prisoner or a last survivor of a team, and this is necessary to retain the game's progressivity, but this is still a highly popularized phenomenon in FPS games.
That's called "progression". It's been around ever since hardware could support it - the first games to ever feature powerups. You get new items as a reward for playing well with the ones you have, and as a means to handle the increasing challenge ahead.
Chris wrote:Continues and lives were a thing that serve no real mechanical purpose. They were there to encourage you to dump more quarters in arcades, but on home systems where each play is "free" and you can quit at any time, they don't add much. These don't really exist in modern games anymore though, and even the original Doom decided to drop them.
Super House of Dead Ninjas. Limited lives, strict timer, reflex platforming, fun as hell. And this from someone who doesn't normally care for limited lives, strict timer, or reflex platforming.

Very few game features are completely obsolete.* It's all about context. Obviously, if a feature is used poorly it's bad, and if used well it's good. Even being a cliché doesn't make something automatically bad.

* Password-based "saving", at least, is pretty worthless nowadays.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I know :) Being a cliché is often means its subject is favorized, or simply it became sort of a tradition (much like having a Shotgun in FPS games' armories, even in those which take place in the far future). There are some good clichés and some others are bad. What puzzles me is their origins and the meaning behind.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Although the topic is about cliches, which naturally bring about a few little gripes and groans (especially from me ;) ), it's true that the word cliche does not always mean things are bad.

I'd like to have maps/worlds that are less cookie cutter myself, but I must also agree that unfortunately developers have to be more expedient at times. The real problem with those doors comes in when things are just wrong, like in A Nightmare on Elm St. for the NES. If a door can't be entered, it shouldn't look like it's open! With the gaming powerhouses of today, I think it's more about time and money than hardware/software limitations.
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

Reactor wrote: Another cliché is what was present since Wolfenstein 3-D: The player begins the world/empire-saving quest only with the absolute minimal supplies! A sidearm & knife, no additional supplies, no medikits, no nothing. Yes, I know, in these cases, the hero always starts as a prisoner or a last survivor of a team, and this is necessary to retain the game's progressivity, but this is still a highly popularized phenomenon in FPS games.
Well, it's usually quite logical that the player starts the game with little/no supplies (as you said, it's explained by the player starting as a prisoner, etc.), what's not logical to me is that the player loses all their weapons and supplies after each episode. Why the player in Wolf 3D starts every episode with a pistol? Why couldn't they atleast bring a submachine gun?
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Yes, sometimes starting with only minimal equipment is illogical, only the usual game progression is what demands this occurrence. Hell, B.J. doesn't even change his clothes - he wears the same gray prison outfit through the entire six episodes AND Spear!
Same thing at Doom. Cleaning out the Phobos base, Doomguy just thinks "meh, who needs these anyway", and goes to Deimos with only a pistol and 50 bullets. And the same thing happens after Doomguy finds out that Deimos is floating above Hell itself. Luckily, this was corrected later in Doom 2 between the three major parts of the game.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Reactor wrote:Yes, sometimes starting with only minimal equipment is illogical, only the usual game progression is what demands this occurrence. Hell, B.J. doesn't even change his clothes - he wears the same gray prison outfit through the entire six episodes AND Spear!
Same thing at Doom. Cleaning out the Phobos base, Doomguy just thinks "meh, who needs these anyway", and goes to Deimos with only a pistol and 50 bullets. And the same thing happens after Doomguy finds out that Deimos is floating above Hell itself. Luckily, this was corrected later in Doom 2 between the three major parts of the game.
Legolas pants. In all saga tolkine dont mentions that legolas has pants. So what hinders me to think that legolas rode through all books without pants?

This is just game conventions, like dirty, stinky, GIANT armor from orks that perfectly fit slim girl(behind the scenes left part where she wash armor and find smith/s that can reforge it to girl size)

Return to “Off-Topic”