Yes, under certain conditions
75%
Not at all.
25%

Total votes: 28

Naniyue

Re: Question: Bosses with OHK attacks?

Post by Naniyue »

A looong time ago in school I used to say that I like a challenge, not an annoyance. If the boss is a showstopper, that's not good. If it makes you realize your mistake, and offers the opportunity to correct it without undue punishment, then fine.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hm folks...is it a good idea to utilize goons with one-hit kill weaponry BUT only above a certain difficulty (i.e. flag them to appear only at "Very fuckin' impossible" skill level)? This way the less experienced players can still win, and the "hard as ballz" gamers can enjoy narrowly avoiding death in every second. NeuralStunner always says that "I plan to do it juuuust right" is a good sign, I just want to hear how would you feel about it.

I know, I know, I ask about goons, not bosses, but still... :)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

don't need to. a lot of games that has difficulty settings that makes the game absurdly difficult to beat does so by making you weak as a toothpick, and the enemies being so powerful they can kill you in just a few hits anyway. :P
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

As long as the player has the option to OHK the boss.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Ah yes, the good old "everyone is a glass cannon" approach.

8-)
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Amuscaria wrote:I think IHKs are fine if they're avoidable. The Cyberdemon is pretty much a 1-hit killer, but the rockets are easily avoidable. So long as the attacks are fair, I say it's fine.
Plus, having wielded a rocket launcher ourselves (and possibly blown ourselves up with splash damage) by the time we reach the end of episode 2, we know damn well how devastating rockets are. It's not like "oh this different-colored imp threw a different-colored fireball WHAT THE HELL WHY DID IT DO 300 DAMAGE"
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

The boss at the end of my campaign for Doom II: Purgatory has a one hit kill melee attack. But he's not especially fast moving, so it's kind of your fault if you get that close.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Hey now, some people like to melee the boss to death. (I can't find the video, but Shadelight once beat D'Sparil at the end of Heretic using only the unpowered staff.) It's a humiliation kill for singleplayer. :P
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

NeuralStunner wrote:Hey now, some people like to melee the boss to death. (I can't find the video, but Shadelight once beat D'Sparil at the end of Heretic using only the unpowered staff.) It's a humiliation kill for singleplayer. :P
I never made a video, but I did have to use the powered staff for the first part of the fight, it was easier from there.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Shadelight wrote:I never made a video
Oh! This explains why I couldn't find said video anywhere. :P
Shadelight wrote:I did have to use the powered staff for the first part of the fight
Fair enough, I guess.

... Actually I might be remembering the one of Weasel's Stylemod (Heretic edition).
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I know Bouncy did one of some version of ww-nazis where he beat D'sparil with only the shovel.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I think there's another pretty smart idea - do NOT give the boss any one-hit-kill weapons, but instead, decrease the player's health down to 20% when facing the boss! Then give him sly ways to restore his health, so the boss will "lose" the ability to kill the player in one hit. Works perfectly in cleverly designed maps. We'll utilize this for the level The Filthy Tunnelz.
Programming a feature that every health the boss loses gets transferred to the player, but that's much more complicated to do.

Return to “Off-Topic”