So COD:WWII is out, and unsurprisingly, it's not great

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Quadruplesword

So COD:WWII is out, and unsurprisingly, it's not great

Post by Quadruplesword »

I will admit that the prospect of a Call of Duty that went back to the series' roots was something I could get behind. Unfortunately, COD:WWII isn't that.

COD:WWII really doesn't feel anything at all like the classic CODs. It feels more like a WWII mod for one of the sci-fi CODs. It plays more or less like the sci-fi CODs, too, just that instead of comically overbuilt future rifles, it's Thompsons, MP40s, and M1 Garands, and there's no jetpacks. I was kind of stunned by how remarkably similar it played to the Modern Warfare CODs from 2009-2011. It's like the devs realized jetpacks weren't the innovation that the COD fanbase wanted, so they removed them, but now we're just back to the same barebones gameplay from 6 years ago.

It's also hard to get immersed in the setting with how many liberties have been taken because heaven forbid we try something different. Players can spawn with any weapon regardless of their faction. This means German soldiers can spawn with M1 Garands and BARs and U.S. soldiers can spawn with MP40s and Kar98s. Pistols can be dual-wielded, a feature that, for a game aiming for authenticity, absolutely drives me up a wall. There are REFLEX SIGHTS in this game for crying out loud, and I'm sure most of you have heard about the controversy over the removal of Nazi symbolism from the multiplayer and players' ability to play as a woman on any faction even though Russia was the only country at the time that allowed women to participate in combat. It's like they wanted to make the game WWII but didn't want to get rid of the other stuff that COD has become known for probably out of fear of alienating maybe 1% of the fanbase, so they just throw authenticity to the wind despite that directly contradicting what they said about the game prior to release.

Oh, and of course, there's loot boxes (everyone's favorite) and a $50 season pass for a game that will be irrelevant in about 8 months when the next COD game is revealed. Considering Activision just won a patent for a manipulative matchmaking system designed to throw fair play out the bloody window to encourage people to buy microtransactions, I'd say your money is far better spent on just about any other WWII game on the market right now.
Shadelight

Re: So COD:WWII is out, and unsurprisingly, it's not great

Post by Shadelight »

We get it. COD sucks.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Shadelight wrote:We get it. COD sucks.
You seem like you've been in a bad mood lately or something. Getting on today I see a lock spree and then this kind of reply? Isn't this the kind of non-constructive replies that would lead to a lock if made by anyone who's not a mod? Just sayin'.

Plz don't ban me
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Nevander wrote:
You seem like you've been in a bad mood lately or something. Getting on today I see a lock spree and then this kind of reply? Isn't this the kind of non-constructive replies that would lead to a lock if made by anyone who's not a mod? Just sayin'.

Plz don't ban me
Those threads have sat around as postcount++ topics for quite a while and nothing useful hasn't really been added to them. I asked the others before I did so and I'm kind of tired of seeing rants about every single new COD and how bad it is.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Shadelight wrote:Those threads have sat around as postcount++ topics for quite a while and nothing useful hasn't really been added to them. I asked the others before I did so and I'm kind of tired of seeing rants about every single new COD and how bad it is.
Yea I get that, I was just curious. Seemed kinda random I guess with the wording. Either way, yes... I think we all have seen the CoD train derail and really it's time to stop caring about it TBH.
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

I mean, I realize bashing COD is about as original as breathing :P . Normally I wouldn't even care that a new COD is out - that's as much of a landmark event as the fact that I woke up this morning - but there's just something that really triggers me about a WWII game that completely wastes the setting and feels like something that could have been done by a group of modders, especially when there are games out there like Day of Infamy and Red Orchestra 2 that use the setting to its fullest that were made by far smaller teams and on far smaller budgets.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

My reaction to this game existing is one of indifference. Activision milks a series and its players for profit? No big news there. They're doing the "predictably shitty" thing, like they've been doing for years now. It's much easier and more productive to just stop giving them the time of day.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

COD I, plus expansion, and II, with realism mod, still play very well, except for II's damned grenades, but then I only play story mode anyway. I can't play the new one yet, but since I don't care for multiplayer, how is the single player mode?

That parody was funny!

Off-topic, but . . . I found COD World at War to be pretty good. While my heart will always be in the European theatre, it was great having the Pacific campaign brought in. Same goes For Medal of Honor Pacific Assault.
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

wildweasel wrote:My reaction to this game existing is one of indifference. Activision milks a series and its players for profit? No big news there. They're doing the "predictably shitty" thing, like they've been doing for years now. It's much easier and more productive to just stop giving them the time of day.
True, but for some reason, the fact that it's a WWII COD makes me care about it slightly more than "yeah, it's a thing", like past CODs. It's kind of like one of those perfectly average licensed games where you can tell that some effort went in, even though the game still isn't particularly memorable.

It just irritates me to see this franchise doing so little with the setting when others games are doing so much with it and on far smaller teams and budgets to boot.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

COD is just like superhero movies. It has long overstayed its welcome and run out any interest I might once have had, but why should I bother with more of the same for too much money and too little value?

This is just another sign that the entire entertainment industry is only after the quick buck, regurgitating proven concepts until they are squeezed dry. One can only hope that they get squeezed dry before some viable successor is up and running so that it eventually REALLY hurts.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

CoD outlived its usefulness a long-long time ago. It might have been good, if it yearns 2-3 sequels, then the developers move onto something else. Now it's an overused uninspired boring re-re-recycled garbage with ultra-realistic graphics calibrated to run only on the newest hardware, so parents are forced to spend huge amounts of cash just to fulfill their spoiled brat's demands because it runs on Ultra settings on the neighbour boy's rig. And no, they won't switch to another game, like every sane person would, because every other game in existence is shit...fanboyism at its finest.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The most interesting part of that mentality is when such people manage to break free of it. Suffice to say it's a very awakening experience.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

CoD didn't always suck... :cry:
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

While it's indeed a obvious cash cow franchise, bringing up the merits of the first CoD game on some forums (including "retro" forums) can upset a lot of alleged "hardcore\long-time veteran gamers".
Spoiler:

Return to “Off-Topic”