This year has been great for platformer fans!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Quadruplesword

This year has been great for platformer fans!

Post by Quadruplesword »

2017 has been a real mixed bag for me in terms of gaming. The year started off strong with stuff like Persona 5, Zelda: BotW, and Nier: Automata. Then we found out that two of the year's biggest releases (those being Middle-Earth: Shadow of War and Star Wars Battlefront 2) were going to feature mobile-style gambling boxes. Given that one of those games is already out and selling like gangbusters and the other is guaranteed to sell like gangbusters because it's freaking Star Wars, the future for AAA gaming looks bleak to say the least. Then of course there was Quake Champions... disappointment hasn't hit me that hard since Metroid Other M. An always-online, gambling box ridden, unfinished, broken disaster that isn't worth of the Quake name in the slightest and which will most likely spell the end for arena FPSs ever returning.

I try to remember the good rather than the bad, though, and I just want to say this has been a freaking fantastic year for platformer fans like me. Sonic Mania was an absolute blast. It took me back to the years my brother and I spent endlessly playing Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I have completed save files for all 3 characters with all the chaos emeralds, two of which are at 99 lives.

I also played A Hat in Time and... oh man, that game. I didn't realize how much I missed the golden years of 3D platformers. It was also a nice palate cleanser after all the gritty, dark, mature games that I typically play. I really can't wait to see what the devs have in store for us in future DLC, and the fact that mod support is on its way just makes it even better.

And those are just two games. There's still lots of great ones I haven't gotten around to yet like Hollow Knight and Steamworld Dig 2 simply because I'm dirt poor right now :P .
SamVision

Re: This year has been great for platformer fans!

Post by SamVision »

Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Metroid: Samus Returns was excellent. I feel it could've used more monster variety though.
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

Shadelight wrote:Metroid: Samus Returns was excellent. I feel it could've used more monster variety though.
I still think that AM2R was better than Samus Returns,not that the 3ds one was bad,on the contrary it was pretty good,but the fan project just feel like a more complete experience.

As for Mario Odyssey,it's quite the collect-a-thon,but the gameplay is decent and the environments are superb.

Cuphead is quite challenging,but it's a good game nonetheless.
Last edited by Freaklore1 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

Shadelight wrote:Metroid: Samus Returns was excellent. I feel it could've used more monster variety though.
Despite being a huge Metroid fan, I was waiting to buy that because I was flat broke when it came out and also because I didn't want Nintendo to see my $40 purchase as a greenlight to use amiibos to hide content in other games. I know the stuff that amiibos unlock in Samus Returns is fairly inconsequential, but that's how it starts, you know?

The first thing I always think about when I hear Cuphead is the journalist from Venture Beat that couldn't finish the tutorial level. It says a lot when DarkSydePhil of all people can beat it faster and with fewer mistakes.

I know the game's not out yet, but the announcement of Ori and the Will of the Wisps has me really excited. Ori and the Blind Forest has easily become one of my favorite games this generation.
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Quadruplesword wrote:The year started off strong with stuff like Persona 5, Zelda: BotW, and Nier: Automata.
You forgot Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn.
Quadruplesword

Post by Quadruplesword »

skyrish10 wrote:
Quadruplesword wrote:The year started off strong with stuff like Persona 5, Zelda: BotW, and Nier: Automata.
Never played those. Don't have a PS4 :P (although Nioh is coming to PC I believe).
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Quadruplesword wrote:
skyrish10 wrote:
Never played those. Don't have a PS4 :P (although Nioh is coming to PC I believe).
It's out already if I'm not mistaken. The port is apparently worse than that of the original Dark Souls, though.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Bubsy.

I'm sorry.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Bubsy 3D! LITERALLY A PLATFORMER!
wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wolfmanfp »

Also, the Jazz Jackrabbit series has been re-released on GOG. I've been waiting for that for years.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

I find it odd that my three favourite games of 2017 are all oldskool-style platformers (Cuphead, Odyssey and Sonic Mania). Either I've become a nostalgic old fart or it's a damning idictment of the AAA games industry.

Also, scalliano 1, Cuphead 0 :grr: Finally beat the bugger.
Spoiler:
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

I can't deny the technical marvel of Cuphead, but I'd have to use cheats to play it.

How about MiniDooM? The second is supposed to be released this month, but you know how that goes.

Return to “Off-Topic”