Wolfenstein II: Classic Easter Egg!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Arctangent

Re: Wolfenstein II: Classic Easter Egg!

Post by Arctangent »

Freaklore1 wrote:As for what MetroidJunkie said,i also wonder why they just dont make a few levels using the actual recent game engine...
I wonder why this is even a question. Do you see Mario remake 1-1 in each new game? The only series that really regularly does this kind of thing is Sonic, and at this point the fans are pretty damn sick of Green Hill Zone.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Arctangent wrote:
Freaklore1 wrote:As for what MetroidJunkie said,i also wonder why they just dont make a few levels using the actual recent game engine...
I wonder why this is even a question. Do you see Mario remake 1-1 in each new game? The only series that really regularly does this kind of thing is Sonic, and at this point the fans are pretty damn sick of Green Hill Zone.
I think it's more of an issue with the fans than with the devs tbh. You don't see Doom fans complaining about E1M1 or Map01 in the new DOOM, despite all the fan-made recreations of them.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

It's mainly a question of what you mean by "recreation". Is it a level of the same stylew and quality as the rest in the game, but with a recognizable layout? Or getting as close to the original look & feel as possible? The latter is almost always a really bad idea. (Doom 2's secret levels quickly lose their charm once you've played them a few times and realized that they're really not that great.)
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Well, there's map packs that try to emulate the original style, like Maps of Chaos and Doom the Way id Did.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Arctangent wrote:I wonder why this is even a question. Do you see Mario remake 1-1 in each new game? The only series that really regularly does this kind of thing is Sonic, and at this point the fans are pretty damn sick of Green Hill Zone.
I didn't mean every single game, just seeing one or two remade levels every once in a while would be nice. It's not like you aren't seeing the same levels over and over again, anyway, in the form of these slapped in maps. It doesn't have to be mandatory, either, you can make it a secret level to the same tune that they already have old Wolfenstein levels in the game already.
NeuralStunner wrote:It's mainly a question of what you mean by "recreation". Is it a level of the same stylew and quality as the rest in the game, but with a recognizable layout? Or getting as close to the original look & feel as possible? The latter is almost always a really bad idea. (Doom 2's secret levels quickly lose their charm once you've played them a few times and realized that they're really not that great.)
Well, my comparison is to Classic Doom 3 so it'd be the former there. You can recognize the layout somewhat but it's completely decked out with detail that the original engine would never have been able to do, at least not like this. You could have a German Prison next to a Dog Kennel that has a similar layout to E1M1 as just an homage that still retains the polish of the rest of the game.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hehe, not a bad idea :) the boys at ID surely have a good sense of humor!
Though, to be honest, a secret level using the original design of Wolfenstein 3D's E1L1 would have been better.
zerthex
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by zerthex »

Can somebody dig into the files and get this. I don't feel like spending 44 bucks.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

zerthex wrote:Can somebody dig into the files and get this. I don't feel like spending 44 bucks.
Maybe don't be a pirate. I'm seeing the game on sale for 30 USD in a few places (try looking at IsThereAnyDeal); beyond that, you could wait for it to drop further.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

The hud face animation has some kind of smooth animation in the Sprite transition...

I beat that they did something like the Doom in the Doom 3 classic where the classic engine got ported for the rage engine and then render the full came over a flat cube
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I don't know, does the demo has it?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

fun fact: RTCW was going to have a thorough Wolf E1 easter egg but was cut for time. Shader scripts survived (and apparently in the german version, censored textures survived)

so yeah even in 2001 they wanted to run that nostalgia novelty idea further into the ground

Return to “Off-Topic”