Wolfenstein II: Classic Easter Egg!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Gamma64

Wolfenstein II: Classic Easter Egg!

Post by Gamma64 »

Here's something for the Wolfenstein fans: you can play Wolfstone 3D in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, but with a twist: You are Elite Hans, trying to overthrow BJ Blazkowitz, and his accursed resistance!
SouthernLion

Re: Wolfenstein II: Classic Easter Egg!

Post by SouthernLion »

I like the name switch as well, being that Wolfenstein is German for "wolf stone."
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Wtf. They put the entire game into Wolfenstein II but only a single level in TNO. How do they even make a game work inside a game? Never understood how that was possible.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It's completely possible - you can put a simple x86 emulator inside the game engine and output the display directly to a texture, and the sound to a nearby sound object inside the level.

I don't know if that's actually how they did it, but if they did, it means you can mod it to any of the old DOS games you like - even Doom - provided of course that the x86 emulator they used emulates enough of the machine to do it right.

Failing that, it's even possible to simultaneously run another full game engine alongside the game, anyhow - so long as its output is redirected in a place that the main game engine can manage it.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

The highscore table lists "Shoshana" :shock:
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Cherno wrote:The highscore table lists "Shoshana" :shock:
That's Set Roth's cat-headed monkey creature.
wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wolfmanfp »

Nevander wrote:Wtf. They put the entire game into Wolfenstein II but only a single level in TNO.
You can play the first episode in TOB.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

that's entirely different though, they recreated the levels in their game engine in TNO and TOB, and it played more like the rest of the game rather than Wolf 3D, which made it incredibly awkward to play. this is a port of the entire game being played inside the game, just with different assets.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, it's a source port inside of Id Tech 6. Some stuff like sounds are handled by Id Tech 6 now, but for the game itself and modified graphics you can apparently rip out the files and throw 'em at ECWolf.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Think the sprites can be ripped from this?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Wiw wrote:Think the sprites can be ripped from this?
Technically, there's not really anything stopping you. Morally, I'd prefer that the game not be ripped from while it's this new, but given past experience, there are a fair number of opponents to that viewpoint. :?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Think this could be enjoyed as-is without immediately trying to rip it off? :|
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I wonder if any attempts have ever been made in any of these games to reimagine the old levels in the newer engine. I don't mean cheaply pasting any of the levels on for you to play, I mean creating an entirely new level based loosely on the original structures. For a comparison of what I'm talking about, the Wolfenstein equivalent of Classic Doom 3.

Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

It's a common practice that each time ID make a new Doom or Wolfenstein (or even a port like Doom 3 BFG Edition) that they always put a port of their original games inside those games,to give the chance to new players who never played the originals to experience thoses...

As for what MetroidJunkie said,i also wonder why they just dont make a few levels using the actual recent game engine...
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Freaklore1 wrote:It's a common practice that each time ID make a new Doom or Wolfenstein (or even a port like Doom 3 BFG Edition) that they always put a port of their original games inside those games,to give the chance to new players who never played the originals to experience thoses...
As for what MetroidJunkie said,i also wonder why they just dont make a few levels using the actual recent game engine...
Actually, the newest installments were developed by MachineGames, who had to get id's permission to use their franchise. As for making a few levels, it would look surreal or awkward to render the classic levels in the new engine (the secret levels in previous games were quite oversized and stuff).

Return to “Off-Topic”