Heretic is a really bad game

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Heretic is a really bad game

Post by Kinsie »

Looking back at that photo, there's a souls bar under the health counter. I guess I was too busy gunning tridenting fuckers to notice.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

I think if it were truly following the Heretic spirit, the pickup messages wouldn't be so damn verbose. :P
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Do they plan on releasing the demo/game elsewhere, other than Steam? Like GOG?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Chris wrote:Do they plan on releasing the demo/game elsewhere, other than Steam? Like GOG?
I literally JUST asked them. For YOU.

They want it on GOG, but GOG has to want them on there, too. So, cross your fingers.

EDIT: To elaborate since I'm no longer typing on a phone in an expo food court: You have to submit your game to GOG, and they have to accept it. It's not a given that they'll accept it, and they've denied some pretty good games (like the Cave shmups) in the past. If you have Twitter, I'd recommend (politely!) expressing interest in a GOG release to @daveoshry, he's handling the biz side of Amid Evil's development and he can probably get a deal done if there's enough call for it.
ReX

Post by ReX »

I'll admit that I haven't played Heretic in many years, and when I did play it back in the day I didn't have a burning desire to replay it. However, I'd hardly characterize it as "a really bad game". I recall that I had quite a bit of fun playing it, but then quickly gravitated to other games that were being published at the time. [Now, HeXen: that was a different story entirely. But I'll resist the urge to derail this thread.]
Trance wrote:..... (and no earsplitting Plasma Rifle, bonus!)....
Whaaaaaaaat? In my opinion, the plasma rifle firing sound is the absolute coolest weapon sound in DooM. But then, there's no accounting for taste, eh?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Every attempt by a mod to replace the Doom plasma sound ends up, at least by virtue of comparison, with a shitty generic toy space blaster that is totally, utterly unconvincing and inauthentic as the report of a weapon that shoots shit to hurt things and break people that the plasma rifle actually is.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

The particular clip used in-game is amped to the point of actual pain. I've been using Perkristian's remix for years, it's 100% faithful to the sound but without all the hearing loss.
Trance

Post by Trance »

ReX wrote:
Trance wrote:..... (and no earsplitting Plasma Rifle, bonus!)....
Whaaaaaaaat? In my opinion, the plasma rifle firing sound is the absolute coolest weapon sound in DooM. But then, there's no accounting for taste, eh?
If it fired a single shot every so often, the bizarre "boing" noise it makes wouldn't be so bad. But it being a rapid-fire weapon by nature, that sound when stacked on top of itself becomes a headache-inducing stream of awfulness.

Return to “Off-Topic”