English thread. Why not?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: English thread. Why not?

Postby Ravick » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Hum... I didn't know this concept of "phonetic" language. I guess my native language, Portuguese, could be considered as one.
Thanks, guys.
___

I got curious about the name of a curcubit fruit/vegetable I've seem in some vegan joke photos. What fruits is this one that appears to be a giant cucumber?
(There is one opened and 'eaten' with a spoon in the very first photo.)

Spoiler:

They look like some giant yellow flesh zucchini, or a green rind cassabanana. :o
Is it a fruit to be eaten raw, just like a mellow? What is its name?

I'm asking here because these photos are from U.S., so they must have a proper name in English.
I guess we don't have this fruit here, so I could not find the name in Portuguese.

Thanks in advanced! :)

___

Edit: There is a "!" in the front of this post's label. Is it because of the using of the images? If so, should I remove them?
Ravick
Do what thou wilt, since you don't bug the hell out of me!

Postby Enjay » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:30 am

No idea about the vegetable but you probably just accidentally selected the ! post icon then typing your post.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Gez » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:36 am

I think they're marrows. If they're used in vegan jokes, then this name would be part of it.

And yeah, they're also called zucchinis or courgettes when they aren't fully grown, kind of like the pickle/cucumber situation. English names that are actually Italian or French names. Did you know they're technically the same species as pumpkins? Cucurbita pepo is a very varied plant.
Gez

Postby Ravick » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm

Enjay wrote:No idea about the vegetable but you probably just accidentally selected the ! post icon then typing your post.

Phew! I was afraid I had done some do-not stuff with the img posting thing! :lol:

Gez wrote:I think they're marrows.

:o
They are quite different from the ones here. Maybe this is a local variety?
I've cropped zucchinis sometimes, but mines never get this big. And I didn't know they could be eaten raw as a fruit this way! Now I NEED to try it.

Gez wrote:Did you know they're technically the same species as pumpkins? Cucurbita pepo is a very varied plant.

Oh boy! Let me show you some stuff I'm particularly pride off:
Spoiler:
Ravick
Do what thou wilt, since you don't bug the hell out of me!

Previous

Return to Off-Topic