English thread. Why not?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Ravick

Re: English thread. Why not?

Post by Ravick »

Hum... I didn't know this concept of "phonetic" language. I guess my native language, Portuguese, could be considered as one.
Thanks, guys.
___

I got curious about the name of a curcubit fruit/vegetable I've seem in some vegan joke photos. What fruits is this one that appears to be a giant cucumber?
(There is one opened and 'eaten' with a spoon in the very first photo.)
Spoiler:
They look like some giant yellow flesh zucchini, or a green rind cassabanana. :o
Is it a fruit to be eaten raw, just like a mellow? What is its name?

I'm asking here because these photos are from U.S., so they must have a proper name in English.
I guess we don't have this fruit here, so I could not find the name in Portuguese.

Thanks in advanced! :)

___

Edit: There is a "!" in the front of this post's label. Is it because of the using of the images? If so, should I remove them?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

No idea about the vegetable but you probably just accidentally selected the ! post icon then typing your post.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I think they're marrows. If they're used in vegan jokes, then this name would be part of it.

And yeah, they're also called zucchinis or courgettes when they aren't fully grown, kind of like the pickle/cucumber situation. English names that are actually Italian or French names. Did you know they're technically the same species as pumpkins? Cucurbita pepo is a very varied plant.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Enjay wrote:No idea about the vegetable but you probably just accidentally selected the ! post icon then typing your post.
Phew! I was afraid I had done some do-not stuff with the img posting thing! :lol:

Gez wrote:I think they're marrows.
:o
They are quite different from the ones here. Maybe this is a local variety?
I've cropped zucchinis sometimes, but mines never get this big. And I didn't know they could be eaten raw as a fruit this way! Now I NEED to try it.
Gez wrote:Did you know they're technically the same species as pumpkins? Cucurbita pepo is a very varied plant.
Oh boy! Let me show you some stuff I'm particularly pride off:
Spoiler:
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Hi there.

Could you guys help me out with this one?
Using as an adjetive, what is the difference between pedant and pedantic? BTW, may pedant be used in such way?
I my mother language, "pedante" is the translation for both words. It seems that English has a more refined concepts for the word, and I could not figure out the difference.

Thanks in advance. :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's pretty simple: "pedant" is a noun, "pedantic" is an adjective.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Hi there,

I got confused here: I want to say the there are 10 marines inside a ship, in various locations. Should I say that the marines are scattered around the ship? Or, maybe, scattered by the ship?

The first way kinda sounds just like the marines are outside the ship, around it. The second one sounds to me as if the ship was responsible for the marines to be scattered. o_õ
Or are both ways wrong and I should say it otherwise?

Thanks in advanced. :)

___
BTW,
Gez wrote:It's pretty simple: "pedant" is a noun, "pedantic" is an adjective.
Thanks! :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

"Scattered around" would be correct, actually. If one wanted to specify that they were outside, it'd be "scattered around outside the ship." I suppose you could also use "scattered about the ship," if you wanted to sound more UK English.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Thank you! :D
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

"Scattered around inside the ship" would be a correct way to say it too, if you wanted to be clear they're inside the ship (depending on the context of the line, whether or not there may be an implication they could be outside).
Gez

Post by Gez »

Ravick wrote:I got confused here: I want to say the there are 10 marines inside a ship, in various locations. Should I say that the marines are scattered around the ship? Or, maybe, scattered by the ship?
"by" can be used to mean "near" ("the old house by the river") so in this case "scattered by the ship" would imply that they're outside of it, perhaps guarding it; however "by" also has a meaning of... authorship? responsibility? So "scattered by the ship" could be understood that the ship scattered them, somehow. Maybe there was a storm and it crashed on the marine camp, the impact throwing the hapless marines around.

For the meaning you're after, "scattered across the ship" would work, too.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Thank you a lot, pals. :)
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Oui oui, l'masion et dan l'oseau
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

So, kinda of a small question: I've just watched Archer's 11th season, and I heard his valet saying he has removed all the "armor plate" from Archer's bulletproof veste. And I remember that in Doom3 and Quake series games the things that go in a combat armors were called "armor shards". Are these synonyms, or is there a difference? How are the things that stop bullets in modern armors/bulletproff vestes called nowadays?

I tried to google it, but I got a lot of medieval knight stuff for "armor plate" and a lot of videogame/RPG stuff for "armor shard", I even found "shardplate" armors, and I admit it just got me more confused then I was before googling for it... o.õ

(Also... it'd be 'google it' or 'google for it'?)

Thanks. :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Honestly I always took "armor shard" as a pure game-ism because it doesn't really make sense to use shards to refer to things that aren't broken fragments. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shard

"shardplate" is a pure fantasy term, coming from Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings book.

You want to use "plates" or "plating".

Also both "google it" and "google for it" work, the former is more the idea of just looking up a term while the latter seem more like trying to find a term by looking up similar notions and hoping to find it that way eventually. Like you'd google Doom by just entering "Doom" in the search engine, but you'd google for Doom by entering something like "old FPS with demons on Mars".

Return to “Off-Topic”