English thread. Why not?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: English thread. Why not?

Post by wildweasel »

Reactor wrote:This time I'm looking for a word, it's sort of a military slang for "settle down". Phonetically it sounds like [edi:s], you can hear it in Quake 4 when the stroggified Kane approaches the briefing room (Sledge says it), but I haven't the slightest clue what is the exact word.
"At ease" is the phrase you're hearing. In military settings, when a superior officer enters the room, everybody ranked under him stands at attention, unmoving, unblinking. When he says "At ease", he is permitting them to go back to what they were doing. You might also hear it said as "As you were."
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

And the British Army also uses "carry on".

Officer appears, soldiers brace-up and salute, officer returns salute and says "carry on", soldiers go back to what they were doing.
cs89

Post by cs89 »

Reactor, you don't spend some times to read my messages on this goddamn forum site? I wait the moment I get info about the progression stage of Tristania 2, and I'm waiting to return your Game Over gamereviewing series vainly.
You son of the bitch, I am felling you don't want to communicate anymore. Indeed, I'm increasingly more disappointed at your video and programming knowledge flagging and you are not nice person to me anymore. >:(
User was warned for this post -JadedLexi
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

^^
the most out of place to make such a comment ever...
Returning to some english..."I will" and "I shall" are correct? because I kinda know that both have the same meaning.....right?
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

"Shall" and "will" indeed have the same meaning. The only small difference is that "shall" is used only with 'I' and 'we'.

Edit: so, yes, both "I will" and "I shall" are correct.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

AHA. Good to know.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

Using "shall", especially with "you" is old-fashioned, mind you. But if you're intentionally going for that, it's OK. :)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

leodoom85 wrote:^^
the most out of place to make such a comment ever...
Let's make it fit with this thread, and break out the red pen.
csikocska89 wrote:Reactor, you don't why don't you spend some times take the time to read my messages on this goddamn forum site? I wait the moment I get I'm waiting for info about the progression stage of progress on Tristania 2, and I'm waiting to return your Game Over gamereviewing game reviewing series vainly in vain.
You son of the a bitch, I am felling feel like you don't want to communicate with me anymore. Indeed, I'm increasingly more disappointed at your video and programming knowledge flagging waning, and you are not a nice person to me anymore. >:(
2/10 SEE ME AFTER CLASS
Last edited by Kinsie on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Professor Kinsie at the rescue.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Translation furnished by Zero Wing LLC.
Gez

Post by Gez »

leodoom85 wrote:Returning to some english..."I will" and "I shall" are correct? because I kinda know that both have the same meaning.....right?
Basically yeah.

But if you will, there is a subtlety. (See what I did?) While both are used as a modal for English's missing future tense, "will" originally implies a willingness to perform said future action. See also will (as a noun), willpower, and so on.

You can also see that with would and should, which originally were the preterit forms of will and shall before they became their own separate modals. Likewise, "would" implies a certain willingness.
cs89

Post by cs89 »

I am sorry I didn't wrote some words correctly, I'm upset with reason on Reactor, who promised so many things on his primary and secondary Youtube channel.
I do learning new words and phrases by reading articles and news from English and Hungarian sites with IT theme. On highschool, I was a good student at English courses, I practised the sentence and text creation.
I'm not speaking english perfectly, that's true, but I'm not bad neither to understand the meaning of some english Youtubers' characteristic speech.
I'm trying to search unknown words' description with Google Translator, but I try to avoid the AI's suggested translate to type texts correctly.
I'm sorry once more, Mr. Kinsie. :mrgreen:
Last edited by cs89 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

csikocska89 wrote:I am sorry I didn't wrote some words correctly, I'm upset with reason on Reactor, who promised so many things on his primary and secondary Youtube channel.
Which this thread is not about. This thread is about English, not about Reactor and his project.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

leodoom85 wrote:Professor Kinsie at the rescue.
It got me curious: i'm used to se "'noum' to the rescue", just like in "Donna to the rescue". Are both ways correct? Is there any meaning difference between them? :?:
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

"To the rescue" is correct, "at the rescue" is not; leodoom made a mistake.

Return to “Off-Topic”