English thread. Why not?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Reactor

Re: English thread. Why not?

Post by Reactor »

I only met "fishes" in GTA Vice City when the statistics are displayed. There is a line "fishes fed" which appears to be grammatically incorrect.

A little more musing on plural grammar - it's just me, or in English, it is possible to give plural forms to adjectives as well? AFAIK the word "graphic" is an adjective. Sometimes I heard/read colours in plural form as well...greens,reds, just like that. It's a bit confusing to decide about this rule. I'm pretty sure you cannot just put any adjective in plural form. For instance, uh, "sudden". The word "suddens" is meaningless.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Those aren't adjectives, they're nouns. If you talk about greens and reds, you're talking about colors, not about colored things. Graphic is a noun, too, but it's seldom used -- usually it's only employed in the plural.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

So they just appear to be adjectives, they are really nouns. So this confirms that adjectives don't have any plural forms. Thank you :)
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Hi there.

What is the word in English for a person who talks too much?

Thanks in advanced!
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

Well, there's the word 'chatterer', although I've rarely seen it being used.
Spoiler:
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I heard "chatter-box" and "blubbermouth" as well. In Doom 3, it is also written in Theresa Chasar's e-mails. I guess both of them are good to go.
Trance

Post by Trance »

"Blabbermouth", not "blubbermouth". But "blabbermouth" more describes someone who you wouldn't trust to keep a secret.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Thank you :) So "blabbermouth" is more like a gossiper then. I learnt something new :)
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

So did I! :D

"Chatterer", "chatter-box", "blabbermouth" and "gossiper". Didn't know any of these ones (despite I knew "gossip" already and would probably think in this variation by myself, hah). Thanks, pals!

lil'devil wrote:
Spoiler:
I vaguely remember reading a discussion about it where the people involved did not get to a conclusion about what was the right way. But I'll take your hint as the right way for now on! Thanks again! :D
Last edited by Ravick on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's easy to tell, grammatically it wouldn't make sense for things to be "in advanced". With "in", you need a noun to describe in what; not an adjective, you can't be in an adjective, you need a thing to be in. In other words, in advanced what?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Gez wrote:It's easy to tell, grammatically it wouldn't make sense for things to be "in advanced". With "in", you need a noun to describe in what; not an adjective, you can't be in an adjective, you need a thing to be in. In other words, in advanced what?
I disagree about it being easy to tell, here - "easy" is subjective on how fluent someone is with English. And I am talking a very deep level of fluency - to the point of being able to recognize nuance - while yes, if you are taught in the proper mechanics of the language you'd be able to recognize it, but in order to recognize it right away you have to be a person who uses it every day.
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

I agree that it may not be easy to tell, because the word 'advance' is somewhat rare in regular use, but 'advanced' is pretty common.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's basic grammar, "advanced" is an adjective, you'll never get "an advanced" without a noun to describe what is advanced precisely (e.g. "GZDoom is an advanced source port"). So you could have "advanced thanks" if you really want, I guess.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Is "casted" the right past tense for "cast"?
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

No, it's simply 'cast'. It doesn't change.

Return to “Off-Topic”