The "Fresh Free Game Deals" Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The Free Games Thread

Post by Rachael »

Having it sit in your steam library isn't eating your hard drive space, nor wasting your bandwidth, if you simply don't download it. You just have it available for later if/when you do decide to take it, or let your or your sibling's children play it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Rachael wrote:Having it sit in your steam library isn't eating your hard drive space, nor wasting your bandwidth, if you simply don't download it. You just have it available for later if/when you do decide to take it, or let your or your sibling's children play it.
Ah. Yes. But he doesn't use Steam. Which I imagine he'd consider another "extra cost." Though it's worth noting if it comes from Humble, it's generally DRM-free as well, to download from the website with your browser, and claiming it now means it'll stay in your library whether you download it or not.
Trance

Post by Trance »

I bought a physical copy of GalCiv2 years ago because someone told me it was like Master of Orion. It's more like older Civilization titles, with a micromanagey feel that quickly gets overwhelming with scale. I didn't play it for long.

No idea if the later content for the game fixed that, but I doubt it.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

wildweasel wrote:Though it's worth noting if it comes from Humble, it's generally DRM-free as well, to download from the website with your browser, and claiming it now means it'll stay in your library whether you download it or not.
All of the recent free games since the IGN buyout have been Steam keys only. The best Graf would want from that site would be the occassional trove "free" download that occurs that don't require sign-up.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

Another thing I could do that just came in my mind is selling the steam key when the deal is over
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Humble Monthly Trove is giving away four original DRM-free games from its collection for the rest of the month: Quiet City, Knight Club, Uurnog, and Hitchhiker

Quiet City is by Increpare (English Country Tune, Stephen's Sausage Roll), Uurnog is by Nifflas (Knytt Series), Knight Club is by Gutter Arcade (this one game maker tutorial i read once about finite state machines) and Hitchiker seems to be its devs' first non-mobile, non-contract-work game.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Kinsie wrote:Humble Monthly Trove is giving away four original DRM-free games from its collection for the rest of the month: Quiet City, Knight Club, Uurnog, and Hitchhiker

Quiet City is by Increpare (English Country Tune, Stephen's Sausage Roll), Uurnog is by Nifflas (Knytt Series), Knight Club is by Gutter Arcade (this one game maker tutorial i read once about finite state machines) and Hitchiker seems to be its devs' first non-mobile, non-contract-work game.
- Quiet City is massively short and artsy. Basically a 2d, "lo-fi" walking sim. It didn't click with me.
- Uurnog is a fun puzzle platformer. I'm not done with it yet, but it's good so far. The algorithmic music is a neat touch.
- Haven't played Knight Club.
- Hitchhiker seems to be a demo for a longer game in the works. You ride around in a car with a guy who talks to you. It's well-written enough, if way too long and a bit on the boring side.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Zen3001 wrote:Another thing I could do that just came in my mind is selling the steam key when the deal is over
... Which is kind of a shitty thing to do. If linking to a Steam account becomes mandatory in the future, we'll know why. :?

At least the people selling their DX:MD keys had to buy a damn video card first.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Just a gentle request: I don't have control over anyone's posts here but I think it would be helpful if we stick mainly to game links and avoid too much chatter.

8-)
wolfmanfp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by wolfmanfp »

Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

finally a game I'm actually interested in!
What ever the steam link tells me that it's not available in my country(which is germany).
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius is free on Steam too for those visual navel fans
https://store.steampowered.com/app/313730/
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

leileilol wrote:Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius is free on Steam too for those visual navel fans
It, too, is free on GOG for those with Moral Objections to Steam.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Zen3001 wrote:finally a game I'm actually interested in!
What ever the steam link tells me that it's not available in my country(which is germany).
AFAIK the German version of Unreal was censored, maybe that's enough not to list it. One reason I never purchased Half-Life 2 even at bargain bin prices is that Steam only lists the censored version of the game. They've been truly anal about that: No chance to get the uncensored version if it wasn't released in some market.

I had no problems getting Unreal on GOG, though. I own the original but this should be a lot easier to install on a modern system.
Now, if they just could release a working version of Klingon Honor Guard, too... That one just doesn't work anymore on my current machine.

wildweasel wrote:
leileilol wrote:Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius is free on Steam too for those visual navel fans
It, too, is free on GOG for those with Moral Objections to Steam.
That'd be me. Why should I get a DRM'ed copy from Steam when I can get a totally unlimited one from GOG?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Applying any official patch to the Steam version un-DRM's it automatically. The 227 patch series is good for this since it's an upgrade anyway. The patches contain the official executables that are not encrypted by Steam and Steam does not enforce the encryption on them.

Return to “Off-Topic”