The Shadow Among The Stars: Ventris' novel out now!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain Ventris

The Shadow Among The Stars: Ventris' novel out now!

Post by Captain Ventris »

First real quick, my public author's page: https://m.facebook.com/dylanwaynesanchezauthor/

As described in the 'What Did You Last Do' thread, I am writing (actually currently editing) my debut novel! It's a hard-ish science fiction novel of high action and a delicious amount of something we all love: monsters getting blown into pieces! This is the first in a trilogy of novels.

Blurb (I.e. The back of the book stuff) for 'The Shadow Among The Stars:
Spoiler:
For those who aren't well-read in Sci-Fi: as long as you don't get lost during the average episode of Star Trek involving engine troubles, the hard sci-fi stuff is explained in an understandable fashion.

Content: Splattery violence, language, and backdrop elements that make my super-Lefty political nature blatantly evident.

I am self-publishing on the Kindle store in both E-Book and Paperback formats, and the book is currently scheduled to come out in December. It's a little over 110,000 words.

I'll be asking for Early Readers (to provide both input for final editing and for launch-day Amazon reviews) at the beginning of September, so keep an eye out for that! Later I'll be putting the first 3 chapters out for free as a promo as well. Anyway, thanks for reading! Tell people about me, follow, share, etc. if you please!
Last edited by Captain Ventris on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Trance

Re: The Shadow Among The Stars: Captain Ventris' debut novel

Post by Trance »

Captain Ventris wrote:Content: Splattery violence, language, and backdrop elements that make my super-Lefty political nature blatantly evident.
I do love language in books. I feel sometimes like it just isn't a book if it doesn't have language.
Captain Ventris

Trance wrote:
Captain Ventris wrote:Content: Splattery violence, language, and backdrop elements that make my super-Lefty political nature blatantly evident.
I do love language in books. I feel sometimes like it just isn't a book if it doesn't have language.
I had considered just making the book consist of grunting sounds, but ultimately decided appealing to the Cro-Magnon market wasn't worth it.
Trance

Post by Trance »

They don't do much book-reading nowadays anyway. Most of their time is taken up by Facebook.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Sounds like something I might enjoy, I like me some semi-hard sci-fi :)

Hit me up if you need an early reader.

8-)
Captain Ventris

Trance wrote:They don't do much book-reading nowadays anyway. Most of their time is taken up by Facebook.
Heyoooooooo
Caligari87 wrote:Hit me up if you need an early reader.

8-)
Good to know!
Captain Ventris

Spoiler:
Here's part of a recent cover art concept drawing (behold the lovely placeholder gun-shape!). It's shaping up to be pretty awesome though, and the artist has been really great!
Captain Ventris

Last night I put up a post on my Author page about the artist doing the cover art for "The Shadow Among The Stars".

Other than that, more editing, which at this point is mainly consisting of amending minor descriptions and touching up some background details for consistency's sake. I've been pretty good about that but things can slip through the cracks during the course of writing an entire friggin' novel.

Also, a cover art preview update! Ta daaaa
Spoiler:
Captain Ventris

A few hours earlier then the official Facebook page, here's the all for Early Readers! It's long, but bear with me.
Spoiler:
Captain Ventris

Re: The Shadow Among The Stars: Early Readers needed!

Hey folks! I still need plenty more applications for Early Readers! There are no wrong answers, so don't worry about being rejected. I know it requires some time and effort, but I need and definitely will appreciate it. Feel free to relay this to anyone you know who might be interested!

Also here's some more progress on the cover art. The artist's adding values now!
Spoiler:
kodi

Post by kodi »

How does this Early Reader thing work? I've read a lot of sci-fi so I think I could review it and motivate my verdict fairly well.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Instructions and details are in the spoiler two posts up from yours; I sent my "application" via pm.

8-)
kodi

Post by kodi »

Thank you, Caligari87. I'll write an application next weekend if I decide on it, since I'll have an abundance of spare time in the foreseeable future after that.
Captain Ventris

Alright, last chance to get in and apply to be an Early Reader for 'The Shadow Among The Stars'! The details are in a post above. I really could use the help and am only a couple folks shy of an ideal number of readers!
Captain Ventris

Re: The Shadow Among The Stars: Ventris' debut novel

A diverse cadre of Early Readers are working their way through the manuscript and helping me ensure that “The Shadow Among The Stars” is the best book it can be. Impressions and opinions of the novel have been good, as seen below (all comments are from different readers):

“It’s like 2001 except we send out a tank instead of a recon mission.”
“The aliens are imaginative and quite alien (something you don’t see that often).”

“Nicadzim is a kickass idea. Reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft's ‘The Book’.”

And probably the most versatile quote I’ve received so far:

“It’s pretty amazing tbh”

Thank you to everyone that’s supported me this early on!

Return to “Off-Topic”