UV mapping for symmetrical models

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Amuscaria

UV mapping for symmetrical models

Post by Amuscaria »

I need some help with UV mapping for the 3D modeling experts here. I have a model that is perfectly symmetrical. Is it possible to just UV map half of the model and get the other side to use a mirrored version of the half I half? Or is this not possible?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: UV mapping for symmetrical models

Post by leileilol »

If there's a modifier enabled (like a Mirror modifier) that keeps the model symmetrical by having only one half modeled and the modifier doing the other side, you should be able to do this with ease already.

I typically make nothing but symmetric models and sometimes break symmetry for hair etc.
Last edited by leileilol on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hard to say without knowing what software you used, but if you modeled the entire object with some kind of symmetrical/mirror modifier, and you have not collapsed it yet, the UVs should already automatically be mirrored for you (meaning one UV island would have already covered both sides)

Need to be more specific about what exactly your problems are?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I'm actually just using Zbrush's UV Master tool to automatically unwrap things, with minimal manual input, However, even though the model is perfectly symmetrical, it doesn't always place the UV maps symmetrically, which makes painting the thing in Substance Painter a pain (one side would be distorted slightly despite having symmetry. I also use 3Ds Max to UV unwrap but that isn't practical for the high-poly models. So I was just wondering if I could paint half of the model and somehow tell the model to mirror it on the other side.

Return to “Off-Topic”