Brutal Doom's reskinned nazis - Also Controversial?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
4thcharacter

Brutal Doom's reskinned nazis - Also Controversial?

Post by 4thcharacter »

I know Brutal Doom's kinda a touchy subject for everyone's here, but..

I've been reading TVTropes's page on Brutal Doom and it said that the reskinned nazis where they get new voice clips (which were taken from CoD2 I believe) and new skins that make them look like more Nazis are said controversial, as opposed to the original looking like policemen and just speak two German words. And that's the reason why they were reverted to vanilla.

Was that really controversial too? I understand real gore but it seems really mind-boggling and overreacting on everyone's end on the nazis since the same voiceclips are from Call of Duty 2 and it kinda makes the controversy invalid because it seemed more like a reference/crossover to a different game. As for me, I kinda like that detail.
Nevander

Re: Brutal Doom's reskinned nazis - Also Controversial?

Post by Nevander »

I'd say that the word "controversial" itself only applies to people who can't handle pixel art in a video game resembling something from reality.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Page so I could check it out?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If "Nazis that look like actual Nazis" was controversial, I probably would have gotten in trouble for it a long, long time ago.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Oberron wrote:Page so I could check it out?

YMMV for Brutal Doom on TVTropes.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Are you trying to make people not to download brutal doom and you are hard trying to find something to explain why? if yes you failed.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

To be directly honest I think the whole controversy with Brutal Doom on most of the Doom related forums is just so god-damn annoying , I mean yes the dev was a complete total douchebag who had caused strife within the community while using resources without credit to build his mod "not to mention he did make a addon that uses gore from actual dead people, that was disturbing to say the least " and people who obsess over the mod would not quit bugging every non BD modder for compatibility with their mod, with that I can understand why most people would have problems with Brutal Doom.

But it has been a few years since Sergeant Mark IV got permabanned from here and in turn exiled from most doom forums for telling this user who was contemplating suicide to kill himself "the banning was justified, considering that the user could have followed through with it" and there are new rules in place that prevent people from annoying other modders/creators with questions of BD compatibility, therefore making Brutal Doom and most likely any other spinoffs a Taboo subject.

It might be my silly little opinion but in all honesty this whole controversy needs to die and people need to finally let it go.

With that being said I hold no ill will to anyone who dislikes the mod and hold a different opinion, I enjoy it from time to time but there are much better mods are being created here that implement their own ideas and their own resources. hell I would give all the money I have to see some of the Unfinished TC's get finished. this is just an opinion and I wish to apologize for upsetting anyone with what I said in advance.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

ibm5155 wrote:Are you trying to make people not to download brutal doom and you are hard trying to find something to explain why? if yes you failed.
No. I'm just asking if people actually found BD's modified nazis offensive.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It sounds like a real non-event of a "story" to me.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Nowadays "controversy" just warrants one of those clickbait articles.
Trance

Post by Trance »

Betteridge's Law applies here I think.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Well, TVT has that "no such thing as notability" rule so I guess we can ignore those claims in the BD pages there. Still I wouldn't be surprised if people actually found that offensive.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

4thcharacter wrote:Well, TVT has that "no such thing as notability" rule so I guess we can ignore those claims in the BD pages there. Still I wouldn't be surprised if people actually found that offensive.
Plus it's under the "Your Mileage May Vary" section, which is where everybody seems to dump their dubious claims (especially anything and everything to do with Fridge Horror or Nightmare Fuel).
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

The CoD2 German troop voice clips were used earlier in WW-Diaz, a later version of it and again in Nazis. Why not recycle them here? Return to Castle Wolfenstein's voice clips are better than those imo.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

When I read the title, I thought mark released a mod which turned nazis into ISIS or antifa or something, which I could understand people finding controversial.

But slightly more aggressive sounding nazis? Granted I'm not a politically correct person (which is why I avoid off topic) but I never thought this could be viewed as controversial : if any thing its a better way to fuel hate towards the nazis comparatively, the smurf like blue guys, while a little tenacious aren't exactly intimidating in how they speak, don't look particularly menacing, ect : Think about it, if you showed a person who had never heard of nazis the smurf, and the black clad hyped up storm-troopers, it would be easier to demonize the guys in black who scream and attack with extreme violence against anyone of differing political opinion, right? Typically wearing black, being extremely bigoted, violent, and aggressive to those who don't think like you doesn't make people like you : So if anything I would say its less controversial : its like asking if its controversial for it to show the nazis in the return to castle wolfenstien as heartless monsters who experiment on POW's. It certainly didn't make anybody say "boy, I love me some nazis!" by any means, it made players within the first 10 minutes of game-play find nazis to be disgusting scumbags, for being devoid of empathy, sympathy, and holding excessive cruelty.

so TL;DR, I don't think its controversial whatsoever.

Return to “Off-Topic”