Where can I find the download link for this iwad?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
ibm5155

Where can I find the download link for this iwad?

Post by ibm5155 »

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Where can I find the download link for this iwad?

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nowhere. It's commercial after all and warez are not being tolerated here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Graf Zahl wrote:Nowhere. It's commercial after all and warez are not being tolerated here.
Video description, emphasis mine wrote:a weird modified version of DOOM1.WAD (Doom shareware) I found with the sounds replaced. It came with a newer DOOM.EXE for whatever reason.

(not me playing in the beginning, it's a demo included in the .wad)

due to unused Doom Alpha graphics being in the wad, this version is probably based on v0.99 of the Doom Shareware IWAD, or v1.0 or v1.1, more likely v1.0

the executable version is obviously v1.2 as shown by the presence of "Nightmare!" difficulty in the new game menu

to further clarify, I attempted to load the second episode to show that the IWAD was shareware
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

That's not DOOM.wad but DOOM1.wad (shareware) and it's not the normal iwads because the sounds from the monsters are not like the normal ones (idk if they were made by id)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

It's a modified shareware iwad, which I don't believe is legal to redistribute. The engine explicitly disallows loading pwads with the shareware version, and that works around the restriction by modifying the iwad directly.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Shareware or not, it's not legal. Despite being offered for free download it's still a commercially produced product and can be subject to a C&D.
Anyone remember that Javascript port a few years ago that got taken down because it misappropriated the shareware IWAD?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Unfortunately, Chris and Graf are both correct.

Shareware or not, they are still commercial resources and used for a commercial purpose, which means even shareware games use a commercial license and are protected by copyright law under the same umbrella as their paid version counterparts. A lot of "free" programs come with a restrictive license and Doom1.wad is no exception.

If anything, despite being legal to distribute, Doom1.wad is under an even more restrictive license than its paid counterpart, due to not being able to use custom content with it. Distributing a modified Doom1.wad is effectively circumventing an original Doom.exe restriction and therefore violating the license that it came with (which did explicitly state do not create custom content for the shareware version).

Don't take my word for it - this page even has a section dedicated to that very issue.

TL;DR: Any modified shareware doom1.wad is warez.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Well, >.< ...
At any case if someone has that modified iwad PM me, I just want to extract the bad sound effects that those guys had changed in the iwad

Return to “Off-Topic”