Newer Doom-like game?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
camaxide

Newer Doom-like game?

Post by camaxide »

I'm close to finishing my Doom2 mod, and wish to move on - so I'm looking for a game of newer date with sweet graphics, dynamic lights etc. - I've been thinking to go Unreal Engine 4 for some time and create a new game through there, but looking into it I think it just might be too much work to get nailed down for the two people that will work on it.. So I'm looking to find a game of newer date that has the editing abilities as Doom2 has.. I've played the new Doom and looked at SnapMap, though I haven't touched SnapMap I think it's clear that it's the equalant of a console-version of map editing and you can't really do any real modding through that to make up your own game-world.

Does anyone know of any FPS games that has a good community for modding, we are looking to make a single player experience.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Newer Doom-like game?

Post by wildweasel »

Modern FPS games don't have quite as much of a mod scene around them as they used to. This is primarily because games are harder to mod, but also likely because anybody that would have made a mod in the past now has access to the raw engine instead to make a game themselves in Unreal 4 or Unity or the like.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I suppose Wrack might be worth mentioning. It is a game by Carnevil, the original creator of Skulltag, and in some ways a nod to the doom games, albeit in a very different coating... and platforming elements. I have not personally taken an indepth look into the modding scene for it, but I do know there is one.
camaxide

Post by camaxide »

Thanks for the inputs :)
I think Wrack miss the target a bit for what we have envisioned, but it's an interesting game still :)
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Half-Life 2 may be a happy medium. I haven't modded or made levels for it, I'm sure it's tough, but possibly less tough than games 10 years newer than it. There are at least plenty of multiplayer TCs for it and lots of weapon replacements.

Possibly a Serious Sam game also?
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Actually I second the Serious Sam idea - they have recently launched a new unified platform called fusion that cobmines their recent games in one engine with workshop support and a complex modding tool.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/56431 ... 2017_beta/
You don't have to buy fusion specifically, you get it in your library by owning any of the HD remakes or the third game. The content unlocks based on which ones you own.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

There isn't any.
wildweasel wrote:Modern FPS games don't have quite as much of a mod scene around them as they used to. This is primarily because games are harder to mod, but also likely because anybody that would have made a mod in the past now has access to the raw engine instead to make a game themselves in Unreal 4 or Unity or the like.
I'd lean on being more of a publisher-induced confidentiality deal + middleware licensing for keeping code closed. Even Valve doesn't really give out much code for their so-called "moddable" games. What they offer as a SDK is a launcher program that are just a very bare codebase for vanilla HL2 or a very very reduced game with a few guns for the more ambitious "game" efforts. The definition of mod changed to mean 'addon' due to the more popular games being data-driven with less heavy coding potential. and then there's of course the rise of UDK that was meant to stand-in for the lack of UT3 modding potential (UT3 was very very limited and strict).

Another thing is interest and brand. Barely anything happened when Monolith threw their almost entire codebase(gamecode, dedicated server code, NO client engine/renderer code) for Blood2, Shogo and Nolf out there....

Return to “Off-Topic”