Guess who's back, back again ♪ Paid mods back, tell a friend

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Cherno

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Cherno »

Dancso wrote:I'll just leave this link here
https://bethesda.net/en/article/5lz4Q7F ... oming-soon
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Bethesda Creation club discussion

Post by Captain J »

Cherno wrote:
Nice. Now mods are on sale. Well, it just works.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Cherno wrote:
Only Bethesdrones will defend this
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Ah but according to Beshethda it's not "paid mods" it's "mini-DLCs". They won't even call it what it is.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Flash thought: if the modders who are part of the Creation Club were able to receive donations rather than have their content placed behind a paywall, wouldn't everyone be happy?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

The thing is.... much of the stuff in the Creator's Club is based off of free mods. After they went and said it wouldn't be. And the free stuff looks BETTER.
Nash

Re: Guess who's back, back again ♪ Paid mods back, tell a fr

Post by Nash »

High quality "curated" content
Gez

Post by Gez »

What happened to Doomguy's arms?

Is it a consequence of falling into that nukage vat in the comic?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

DoomRater wrote:Ah but according to Beshethda it's not "paid mods" it's "mini-DLCs". They won't even call it what it is.
To be fair, what's the difference between a DLC and a mod? Technically speaking, a DLC is a mod, since it's an optional modification of the base game. The term "DLC" is generally used for official curated add-on content, while "mod" is unofficial user-created add-on content. In that vein, Creation Club is "mini-DLC" since it's contracted work, official curated add-on content.

Whether it's "paid mods" or "mini-DLC" is ultimately inconsequential. The main problem here is the ludicrous prices for such little content, and the reliance on Credits (aka Bethesda Fun Bucks, virtual currency) to make you overpay even if you happen to find something worth buying. For something like the new Skyrim Survival Mode, I could almost defend it if you had the option to buy it directly for $4 or $5 (sure we have free mods that replicate most of the same functionality, but not everyone has access to or wants to use those mods, and given how much Survival Mode changes the game, $4 or $5 is kind of fair I think). But an inflated 800 Credits that happens to be just over the minimum $8 Credits package that forces you to buy $15 worth of Credits is just inexcusable. Even the $8 Credits package would be a bit much.
Jimmy wrote:Flash thought: if the modders who are part of the Creation Club were able to receive donations rather than have their content placed behind a paywall, wouldn't everyone be happy?
Places like Nexus have had the option for users to donate to modders for their mods. Barely anyone ever does it, and modders have hardly made what could be considered a fair wage for the amount of work done.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Gez wrote:What happened to Doomguy's arms?

I'm pretty sure that's a mod for Skyrim, and I think it's being worn by an Imperial woman.
Chris wrote:For something like the new Skyrim Survival Mode, I could almost defend it if you had the option to buy it directly for $4 or $5 (sure we have free mods that replicate most of the same functionality, but not everyone has access to or wants to use those mods, and given how much Survival Mode changes the game, $4 or $5 is kind of fair I think). But an inflated 800 Credits that happens to be just over the minimum $8 Credits package that forces you to buy $15 worth of Credits is just inexcusable. Even the $8 Credits package would be a bit much.
I really don't get why more of these systems don't adapt Steam's "just give me the amount of e-bucks I need for this purchase" option. I mean, I guess there's the aspect of the overpurchase not being wasted unless what you're grabbing is literally the only product you can both use 'em on and want that will ever exist in your lifetime, but still.

As far as pricing goes, the worth of anything video game related is completely nebulous as a purely or almost purely digital luxury, so ... honestly, as someone with no interest in survivor mode I can't really comment on what price I'd pay for it, but I'm pretty sure any price that isn't like $1.50 would get massive flak all around.
Nash wrote:Only Bethesdrones will defend this
man you really want to make sure "gamer" is a negative word to everyone don't you
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Arctangent wrote:I really don't get why more of these systems don't adapt Steam's "just give me the amount of e-bucks I need for this purchase" option.
Because Steam no longer has to stoop to cheap user-retention tricks like that, due to weak competition in the PC games space. The entire reason companies require you to use their own Fun Bucks that you buy in pre-sized packages is so they can force you to overpay, and then come back for more since you have unused Fun Bucks that automatically go toward your next purchase (it's like slashing off a bit of the asking price! (not really)). You pay them more to give you an incentive to come back. For example, if you see something on the XBox store that you want you can't just buy it. You have to overpay to get more Microsoft Fun Bucks than you need, and use some of that to get it. So if you later see something else you want that's on both the XBox and Playstation stores, you're more likely to get it on the XBox store again since you had unused Microsoft Fun Bucks to put toward the cost (even if you'd have preferred to get it on the Playstation, because obviously you can't transfer Microsoft Fun Bucks into an equivalent amount of Sony Fun Bucks).

If you could just buy the exact amount of virtual currency you need for anything and everything, and exchange it between different virtual currencies at an equal rate, what's the point of having virtual currency in the first place? It just creates more work to deal with the actual money that's being exchanged.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Chris wrote:If you could just buy the exact amount of virtual currency you need for anything and everything, and exchange it between different virtual currencies at an equal rate, what's the point of having virtual currency in the first place? It just creates more work to deal with the actual money that's being exchanged.
Well, that's not quite true. Steam still utilizes the Steam Wallet in spite of it being 1:1 with real currency, as it prevents abuse cases with refunds and stuff, especially those that could surface around the Steam Marketplace.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Arctangent wrote:
Gez wrote:What happened to Doomguy's arms?

I'm pretty sure that's a mod for Skyrim, and I think it's being worn by an Imperial woman.
I'm not talking about their lack of beefiness, I'm talking about their proportions. Unless he's shrugging as hard as possible (which the armor would prevent, what with the big shoulder pads colliding with the helmet if he tried), the elbow should reach way lower than that, about at the height of the waist.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Woooooo, look what we have here...the thing's just started, and a rather serious debate just began even in such a small community as ours. If this paid mods (or DLC, if you like it better) thing stirs up so many disagreements, and the prices are not comparable with the actual content, I think it should have been left un-rebooted.
Damn...this is not going well...maybe Nash was right all along.

Also, Graf Zahl had an interesting remark about how bad developers are spewing shit onto pages like rottentomatoes.com instead of fixing what they have messed up. I've been contemplating on the subject, but I can't really seem to grasp why people do this? Why do they blame everyone else when something is clearly their fault?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Reactor wrote:but I can't really seem to grasp why people do this? Why do they blame everyone else when something is clearly their fault?
Better question is why wouldn't they? Proper upbringing, maybe? Parents that actually cared? These are things that are missing for a lot of people.

This is human nature 101, and it is behavior that must be disciplined out of children early on. And there are well documented cases of this behavior lasting well beyond childhood for some people, unfortunately.

Return to “Off-Topic”