Guess who's back, back again ♪ Paid mods back, tell a friend

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
ibm5155

Re: Guess who's back, back again ♪ Paid mods back, tell a fr

Post by ibm5155 »

Gez wrote: 3. You can offer some mod download service, but then you have to pay $$$ to Microsoft and Sony so that they can do quality control (and so you need to invest $$$ more bucks to do your own QC first)
Well, doom 4 has multiplatform mods if I remember
Gez

Post by Gez »

SnapMap isn't modding.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I think it would be good if someone, who have obtained a sold mod or TC would share his experiences and thoughts about the purchased software, so we could avoid those freaks who just whack together some abomination in hope for some easy money. This way we could also determine whether or not selling mods/TCs for cash is a productive thing in the long run, or not. But that's just a constructive thought.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

>buying mods

How exactly did they think this is a good idea?
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

People like to be paid for what they make, as it happens, because it means they can stop themselves from starving and, y'know, make more stuff and continue to live off of doing what they like to do.

But I guess that might be a bit hard to process for someone who advocates pirating everything and shaming those that spend their money on entertainment. 🤔
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

It's a better idea than going full Konami and C&Ding the one closed-source toolkit available to an entire modding community. But that's another thread ...

... but yeah, fuck Take2.
MammothElbow

Post by MammothElbow »

I'm going to do what the best course of action is: Ignore that it ever happened. Also it's bullshit trying to pull this kind of stuff under our noses.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

You seem to have missed the first post of this topic. Which linked the very, very public announcement of this that was shown at E3, that also had a link to a FAQ explaining various parts of it. Here, let me get it for you.
Nash wrote:
Though if there's one thing of huge value in this topic, at least we have an indication on how people become Youtube commenters. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
60dollartechdemo

Post by 60dollartechdemo »

So let's assume this bullshit actually takes off. I don't think any amount of whinging on the internet will do a damn thing to stop this. It never worked for (now ordinary) money-gouging practices like DLC, exclusive pre-order bonuses, season-passes, invasive DRM, microtransactions in $60 titles, and so on. No one's going to boycott any products either because gamers tend to be lazy consumerist sheep and the heads of EA, Take-Two and so on all know this and have even talked about it openly.

Now after Bethesda pushes this shit sufficiently hard enough for it to stay in place, what do you think would stop Zenimax from then C&Ding free "unofficial" mod sites like the Nexus? You should all know by now how heartless and fascistic their lawyers are. In fact, something along these lines already happened with GTA V's modding community.

...Methinks I should grab GOG's new DRM-free release of New Vegas when it's on sale again (speaking of lazy consumerist sheep) and download all the free mods I can find and keep them archived on to an external drive (as I did with Morrowind before Planet Elder Scrolls went belly-up). I hope that The Frontier comes out before any of this awful crap can happen.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

60dollartechdemo wrote:Now after Bethesda pushes this shit sufficiently hard enough for it to stay in place, what do you think would stop Zenimax from then C&Ding free "unofficial" mod sites like the Nexus?
Why would they? And if they were going to, why haven't they? If they see mods as a problem, it wouldn't hinge on Creation Club's existence. This might be an enlightening video:
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Y'know, something hit me the other day and I can't help but wonder why this is suddenly an issue when Valve's been doing this for like, years now.

( also dota 2 and I think CS:GO but their wikis aren't set up in a way that they have a list of this stuff )
Soul Sucka

Post by Soul Sucka »

My concerns with this aren't as much about ethics (as others pointed out, this isn't exactly an unprecedented practise) as they are about practicality: will these paid mods even be commercially successful when they're literally competing against free alternatives? And given how morally opposed to paid mods the community is, one certainly wouldn't struggle to find top-notch custom content for free in communities as expansive as Skyrim and Fallout 4. All of this scepticism isn't exactly unwarranted either, given Bethesda's history with traditionally frowned upon practises that have earned them a reputation somewhat akin to Activision and EA. I think it's perfectly fair to ask questions such as "what is the next step they're going to take if this takes off?", and discuss about them.
Arctangent wrote:
Nash wrote:I've paid full price for the base games, some even more than once.
y'do realize that "full price" for a modern video game isn't even a hundredth of the actual cost of making it

that's why a video game can sell hundreds of thousands of copies and yet still be a commercial flop
Try to justify price-to-content ratio hikes all you'd like, but trying to advertise a broken, incomplete game at full-price while insisting that I acquire all DLC (and now, paid mods too) and shelve out who-knows-how-many bucks for the proper full experience is an excellent way of leading me to make more sensible use of my money by buying a different game by a different company that is not only superior, but also charges me less for it, and I'm sure plenty of customers also feel this way. So much for avoiding commercial flops.
Arctangent wrote:People like to be paid for what they make, as it happens, because it means they can stop themselves from starving and, y'know, make more stuff and continue to live off of doing what they like to do.
No sane person would try to make a living out of paid mods of all things. Modders more likely than not already have a separate means of income in actual jobs, which is something you yourself said too.
Arctangent wrote:But I guess that might be a bit hard to process for someone who advocates pirating everything and shaming those that spend their money on entertainment. 🤔
I assume you're referring to the video in the previous post (as nobody in this thread seemed to display the behaviour you mentioned), but it doesn't take a pirate to understand that maybe the majority of the community has a point and this isn't a good idea.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Soul Sucka wrote: Try to justify price-to-content ratio hikes all you'd like, but trying to advertise a broken, incomplete game at full-price while insisting that I acquire all DLC (and now, paid mods too) and shelve out who-knows-how-many bucks for the proper full experience is an excellent way of leading me to make more sensible use of my money by buying a different game by a different company that is not only superior, but also charges me less for it, and I'm sure plenty of customers also feel this way. So much for avoiding commercial flops.
Eventually the gaming industry will learn that inconvenient truth - they just need a few expensive flops first until it sinks in into their money-obsessed manager brains. These people always blame others first and need to go through some genuine crisis before realizing that it's the diminished quality of their own garbage that is harming business.

Just look at the movie industry how these people tick - it is right now experiencing the first symptoms of bad customer reaction to overblown shitty product.
However, instead of cleaning up their mess they blame sites like rottentomatoes.com because their review collections are supposedly harming their business. So far it only seems to affect the US market but only a fool will believe that this won't spread. And yet, they continue their shit and hope for international business taking care of their problems instead of thinking about how to improve things.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Soul Sucka wrote:My concerns with this aren't as much about ethics (as others pointed out, this isn't exactly an unprecedented practise) as they are about practicality: will these paid mods even be commercially successful when they're literally competing against free alternatives? And given how morally opposed to paid mods the community is, one certainly wouldn't struggle to find top-notch custom content for free in communities as expansive as Skyrim and Fallout 4.
DLC faces these exact same issues, but it doesn't seem to have issues selling.
Soul Sucka wrote:Try to justify price-to-content ratio hikes all you'd like, but trying to advertise a broken, incomplete game at full-price while insisting that I acquire all DLC (and now, paid mods too) and shelve out who-knows-how-many bucks for the proper full experience is an excellent way of leading me to make more sensible use of my money by buying a different game by a different company that is not only superior, but also charges me less for it, and I'm sure plenty of customers also feel this way. So much for avoiding commercial flops.
How would a cruddy game get this kind of content in the first place? I mean, I guess there are people who genuinely like Sonic 06, but there still needs to be a large enough community around the game for there to be people to a. want to create stuff for it and b. have the right combination of perseverance and skill to actually create something that remotely looks sellable. Add to that that creating content for a modern game from scratch is not remotely as simple as it is for something like Doom, and a plan to salvage a game by relying on your community to fix it for you is pretty damn flawed.
Soul Sucka wrote:I assume you're referring to the video in the previous post (as nobody in this thread seemed to display the behaviour you mentioned), but it doesn't take a pirate to understand that maybe the majority of the community has a point and this isn't a good idea.
They would have to not be chasing a boogeyman and realize that their points are literally completely null by the way this is designed for that to be remotely applicable.

I mean, fair enough on having to do purchases on a buggy client using some sort of possibly rental currency? But that's like 1% of what's been said anywhere, the rest of this is just everyone knee-jerking incredibly hard about stuff they made up.

Return to “Off-Topic”