So, I'm finally building a PC..

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

So, I'm finally building a PC..

Post by Tapwave »

Okay, so, I finally landed a summer job which, along with savings throughout the year, will net me a neat budget around 1800 euro with which I want to get myself a really good tower with components I shouldn't need to replace too much.

Here's the notes I jotted down already:
  • Get the best darn PSU quality possible. Saves money on the long run, and plats practically are indestructible.
  • Do not skip on quality ventilation, get a sufficient number of good fans.
  • Get 16GB of solid quality ram and never think about it ever again. (I'm not doing stuff like CAD or high-end streaming so I don't need more than that.)
  • The human eye can perceive less difference from 60 to 120 FPS than from 30 to 60, so a 60hz screen is all I need.
  • Fancy lighting just saps power and is unnecessary.
I'm getting a "classic" sized ATX tower, so ~50*25*50cm. Wifi capability is also absolutely necessary because I have no Ethernet connection in the room I'll have to install it.
I don't require a mouse (already have a G502), and I plan on getting a Logitech keyboard to go along with it. VR stuff is also irrelevant to me.

Anyone has design maxims to share, or parts they'd really, REALLY like to suggest?
SouthernLion

Re: So, I'm finally building a PC..

Post by SouthernLion »

Tapwave wrote: [*] The human eye can perceive less difference from 60 to 120 FPS than from 30 to 60, so a 60hz screen is all I need.
That's a myth. But unless you plan on doing Quake Champions extremely competitive play, you still don't *need* 120FPS lol.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

• Get 16GB of solid quality ram and never think about it ever again. (I'm not doing stuff like CAD or high-end streaming so I don't need more than that.)
Also a bit of a myth. 16 GB is the standard now, and it's only a matter of time when games and programs catch on. When they do - guess what happens...

So you really should get 24 or 32.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

RexS wrote:
Tapwave wrote: [*] The human eye can perceive less difference from 60 to 120 FPS than from 30 to 60, so a 60hz screen is all I need.
That's a myth. But unless you plan on doing Quake Champions extremely competitive play, you still don't *need* 120FPS lol.

No, that's not a myth. The difference between 30 and 60 fps is a lot more perceptible than the difference between 60 and 120 fps.
A far bigger problem is that maintaining a constant 120fps rate is close to impossible for nearly any game so it'd cause a lot more stutter and inconsistency than 60 fps.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

Graf Zahl wrote:
RexS wrote:

No, that's not a myth. The difference between 30 and 60 fps is a lot more perceptible than the difference between 60 and 120 fps.
A far bigger problem is that maintaining a constant 120fps rate is close to impossible for nearly any game so it'd cause a lot more stutter and inconsistency than 60 fps.
Pretty much what I meant, yeah. I was thinking of getting a monitor with a solid resolution but 60 FPS, because it's really all I need. Considering a 27"/1440p one from AOC in particular.

By the way, the build I currently have saved after consulting someone with experience in it is:

Code: Select all

Case: Corsair Spec-03
Mobo: MSI B250 Krait Gaming
PSU: Corsair RM650X Gold
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB (Gigabyte OC)
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V (16gb, DDR4, 2400mhz)
Cooling: BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP (*5)
Sound: Asus Xonar DGX
Networking: Asus PCE-AC56
Storage: 1tb WD Blue
Disc Drive: LG DVD Drive 
Clocks right into my budget, though I'll need to save for the screen.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Tapwave wrote: Sound: Asus Xonar DGX
What advantage does that bring?

Also, there seems to be something missing in your list. What about an SSD? Today that's the most crucial component for a fast computer.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Tapwave wrote: Sound: Asus Xonar DGX
What advantage does that bring?

Also, there seems to be something missing in your list. What about an SSD? Today that's the most crucial component for a fast computer.
Hah, you had the same realization as I had at the same time, I've axed it now. :p

I'm not buying a SSD because I already own a M.2 Crucial, it's a 32gb which should be enough for my OS, I don't need a lot of storage past the 1tb HDD.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Rachael wrote: Also a bit of a myth. 16 GB is the standard now, and it's only a matter of time when games and programs catch on. When they do - guess what happens...

So you really should get 24 or 32.
Yup. Used to think I was the shit with 16 GB, both my gaming/dev machine and digital audio machine is loaded with 15/16 GB. Now 16 is pretty much standard run-of-the-mill and in fact for editing, 16 is considered bare essential... (some heavy Unreal Engine projects recommend with 32 GB for editing even :O)

And yes DEFINITELY get SSDs. One of the best things that happened to my old 2010 gaming/dev machine was to install an SSD with Windows 8.1 on it. Blazing fast speeds all across the board no matter what I do.
DaMan

Post by DaMan »

New Xbox is only 12GB so game RAM requirements shouldn't be ballooning anytime soon.
Can probably ditch the DVD drive.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Tapwave wrote: I'm not buying a SSD because I already own a M.2 Crucial, it's a 32gb which should be enough for my OS, I don't need a lot of storage past the 1tb HDD.
Careful!

32 GB is a tad small for Windows and a page file and the Users and Program Files directory. You may run out of space quickly. 128 GB really should be the absolute minimum to be on the safe side.
It's not just the OS that matters, especially for resource hungry games it can make a night and day difference.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

DaMan wrote: Can probably ditch the DVD drive.
Can't. Need one to install Windows and I might need to read CD/DVDs as well.
Graf Zahl wrote:Careful!
Noted, although it might take me a bit to save up to get a proper SSD. It's definitely on my wishlist, though. Storage and RAM will be upgraded ASAP.

I've done some discussin' again, and I've compiled this build, which is about the same price but should be more or less superior.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Tapwave wrote:Get the best darn PSU quality possible. Saves money on the long run, and plats practically are indestructible.
Uhm. Technically, not always. 80 Platinum doesn't refer to the quality of the PSU. Rather, their efficiency. If you also look at the curve, they're most efficient when they are at 50% load. So getting a 1500w PSU for a system which only uses 400w will actually be inefficient.
Tapwave wrote:Do not skip on quality ventilation, get a sufficient number of good fans.
But don't slap a fan on every vent. You'll want about an equal exhaust and intake. Cool air to take in from the front, guide it towards the rear where all the hot air is and pull it out.
Tapwave wrote:The human eye can perceive less difference from 60 to 120 FPS than from 30 to 60, so a 60hz screen is all I need.
Myself and millions of other people will want to have a word with you. This is simply false.
Tapwave wrote:Fancy lighting just saps power and is unnecessary.[/list]
Yes and no. LEDs are efficient by design. I have a flashlight that has three LEDs and runs off of a D-cell battery. Having one or two fans with LEDs is not going to murder your electric bill. Maybe in total $1 over the whole month and literally nothing from the PSU.
Tapwave wrote:I'm getting a "classic" sized ATX tower, so ~50*25*50cm.
Classic sized? You mean a full size tower? There are naming conventions for these: Mini, Mid, Full and Super. In this household, a "classic sized" is a mid tower.

For PSU, check out Corsair. They make great quality PSUs. I also vouch for this thing. Formerly by OCZ. 5 years running and no issues from it. Does what it's told, no complaints.

For cases, check out NZXT or FractalDesign. Both good companies which make good cases - of which I bought from on Newegg.

For fans, anything from Coolermaster will suffice.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

Hellser wrote:So getting a 1500w PSU for a system which only uses 400w will actually be inefficient.

For PSU, check out Corsair. They make great quality PSUs.
Yep, I downgraded the one on my list to a 550w Corsair, shaved quite a bit of the price and I'm theoretically under the 400w bar so it should be fine.
Myself and millions of other people will want to have a word with you. This is simply false.
Not the experience I've had, personally, so let's agree to disagree :p
Classic sized? You mean a full size tower? There are naming conventions for these: Mini, Mid, Full and Super. In this household, a "classic sized" is a mid tower.
ATX Mid indeed.
For cases, check out NZXT or FractalDesign. Both good companies which make good cases - of which I bought from on Newegg.
For fans, anything from Coolermaster will suffice.
I'm getting a Corsair case and beQuiet fans, the fans are really cheap (barely 10€ each) and apparently very appreciated, so it's not too big an investment.

Updated build is here.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Graf, I'm sorry, but you are objectively incorrect, my friend. That is a myth busted long ago. When I get home from work I'll show you some software that helps prove my point, (assuming you have a 120hz monitor.)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

RexS wrote:Graf, I'm sorry, but you are objectively incorrect, my friend. That is a myth busted long ago. When I get home from work I'll show you some software that helps prove my point, (assuming you have a 120hz monitor.)
Well, whether the perception thing is a myth or not is not exactly relevant - the bigger problem is actually getting your games to run at 120 FPS. Not only is that a much more difficult performance goal (requiring stronger hardware all around), some games and engines flat-out don't support going above 60, let alone 30. (One I recently read about was Far Cry 2, which has a long-standing, game-breaking bug where frame rates higher than 60 increase the chances of a mission-critical NPC "bouncing" far into the air and dying of falling damage, rendering the game impossible to continue.)

Return to “Off-Topic”