Movie that i remind about Doom

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Movie that i remind about Doom

Post by Matt »

The first Peter Jackson Hobbit movie.

The original Vampire Hunter D.

The Mummy Returns.

Starship Troopers.

Pretty much any Star Wars movie.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm not saying you're wrong with that list (in fact I agree with many of them) but I would be intrigued by your reasoning behind some of the choices.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Been a while since I've seen any of them, so they're mostly based on scenes I remember...

Hobbit: Escape from the goblins. Very gamey overall, really..

D: That colourful 80's ultra-violent monsters-and-gore lone-hero anime aesthetic basically is Doom.

Mummy: That one chase through the jungle where people are killed by those little goblin things. Not even sure why that makes me think of Doom, really.

Troopers: Hideous Destructor has been described as "Verhoevenesque" for reasons.

Star Wars: Feels almost self-explanatory, really, if you consider the Doomguy as a Jedi and the hellspawn the Empire.
(now I keep imagining the cyberdemon and spider mastermind speaking in Vader's and Palpatine's voices respectively...)
(also to consider: E3M8 big showdown with creepy wrinkly mastermind; E2M8 big showdown with big dragon; E1M8 hectic battle with lots of explosions where you destroy the core of a "star" that collapses soon after - though admittedly it was Map30/Death Star that actually got me to put SW on the list)
BFG

Post by BFG »

Pumpkinhead always reminded me of Archvile:
https://i1.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com ... 1000%2C667
Invaders from Mars remake reminded me of Spider:
http://images4.static-bluray.com/reviews/11663_1.jpg
leileilol wrote:The Doom movie reminds me of Doom
Not to me. Not at all. Rabid monkeys running around? haha that's all I remember, it felt like a low budget doom 3 movie, not the original game.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Vaecrius wrote:
Star Wars: Feels almost self-explanatory, really, if you consider the Doomguy as a Jedi and the hellspawn the Empire.
(now I keep imagining the cyberdemon and spider mastermind speaking in Vader's and Palpatine's voices respectively...)
(also to consider: E3M8 big showdown with creepy wrinkly mastermind; E2M8 big showdown with big dragon; E1M8 hectic battle with lots of explosions where you destroy the core of a "star" that collapses soon after - though admittedly it was Map30/Death Star that actually got me to put SW on the list)
You're entitled to your opinion, brother. But what?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Vaecrius wrote:Been a while since I've seen any of them, so they're mostly based on scenes I remember...

Hobbit: Escape from the goblins. Very gamey overall, really..

D: That colourful 80's ultra-violent monsters-and-gore lone-hero anime aesthetic basically is Doom.

Mummy: That one chase through the jungle where people are killed by those little goblin things. Not even sure why that makes me think of Doom, really.

Troopers: Hideous Destructor has been described as "Verhoevenesque" for reasons.

I'm not convinced I'm entirely with you on the Star Wars ones (in saying that, one of my early TCs was a Star Wars one where the end boss was the Emperor) but, yeah, I can see the rest esp. Starship Troopers.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I would have thought that was the most obvious one.

Space-opera very-soft-sci-fi centered around supernatural overtones juxtaposed with the sci-fi stuff in a manner of presentation that caused a paradigm shift in the medium

Protagonist with special powers that let them do physically impossible things

Enemy with uniformed horde with Nazi influences, visible red projectiles and bad aim (though with Doom the last two are split over the imps and zombies)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I guess that the original Dark Forces was very much a Doom-alike and that was part of its appeal.

To me the atmosphere of the Star Wars films is different enough for them not to remind me of Doom. I think it's because they are brighter, more optimistic and far less blood-soaked but I see your points.
kodi

Post by kodi »

"Spectral" is quite Doom-y.
Oh and an old sci fi horror film called "Virus" which I by the way find very underrated.
spoone

Post by spoone »

BFG wrote:Pumpkinhead always reminded me of Archvile:
https://i1.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com ... 1000%2C667
Invaders from Mars remake reminded me of Spider:
http://images4.static-bluray.com/reviews/11663_1.jpg
leileilol wrote:The Doom movie reminds me of Doom
Not to me. Not at all. Rabid monkeys running around? haha that's all I remember, it felt like a low budget doom 3 movie, not the original game.
The movie was supposed to be based on doom 3. Hence why it had more of the doom 3 look. Also Sarge is base on Sargent Kelly from Doom 3.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Finally remembered the one that was on the tip of my mind:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I don't know why. Same reason as Vampire Hunter D, really - lots of colourful freaky vaguely humanoid monsters.

Return to “Off-Topic”