Call of Duty: WWII revealed!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SouthernLion

Re: Call of Duty: WWII revealed!

Post by SouthernLion »

Trance wrote:Well, seeing as how the only way the Soviets would realistically be the enemy in a WW2 shooter is if you were playing as a soldier for the Axis... that's probably why. There are, I assume, quite a few people who'd have a moral issue with fighting for Hitler or one of his allies, even in a video game.

Any WW2 shooters pitting the Soviets against the Western powers would be dealing with alternate history.
But you *do* fight as Axis in a ton of games. In capture the flag matches, anyway. Not in story mode. lol
Gez

Post by Gez »

Why are there so many WW2 military shooters, and so few WW1 military shooters? Make a musket shooter set in the Napoleonian wars, or during the American war of independence. A crossbow shooter in medieval China. Something that hasn't been trodden upon by games after games and movies after movies.
Trance

Post by Trance »

RexS wrote:But you *do* fight as Axis in a ton of games . . . Not in story mode. lol
That is, of course, what I meant. It's one thing to be a team member in a competitive game mode, quite another to take on the story of a soldier in the war.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

There is one damn good WWI shooter - sort of - the World War Zero. It was released as IronStorm, but it turned out to be a glitchy mess, so they re-released it with most bugs fixed. It's pretty good and enjoyable, and there, you can fight evil Russians and Mongols. Yummy game, a definitive keeper.

Also I wouldn't mind if you could play story mode as an Axis soldier, and the game's ending would be that Germany won the war. I know it wouldn't be historically accurate, but in return, it'd be much more exciting and would offer a shiny new storyline instead of just sticking to the history book, and repeating the same lame campaign over and over again. There are some games where you could play as the Axis and win the war, and it was truly refreshing.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i don't think such a thing would sit well with people at all.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to make a game where you help fascism wins.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd think the only "acceptable" story where the player is part of the German Army would be if their detachment is trying to depose the Fuhrer - for example, if the player character is part of Operation Valkyrie, and the story is an alternate history in which the operation was a success.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

There are some games which allowed the Nazi Germany to win - Battlefield 1942 for instance, Roter Baron III, or Battle Europe. I didn't witness that many people were offended or pissed off by this. Of course, it fares much better, if there are two separate campaigns - one with the Allies and another with the Axis, hence, the equilibrium is present, and everyone can pick sides.
And no, I'm not a fascist or any kind of fascism supporter - militarism existed long before the Nazi Germany - I just found this pretty unbalanced, and boring that no matter what WWII-themed FPS you play, the enemy is always Germany. It's just...so...uncreative...
Trance

Post by Trance »

World War 2 shooters in general are uncreative. We already had the genre burn out once, a decade ago.

The main issue is that the Germans committed a huge number of atrocities during the war, especially on the Eastern front. The Soviets and, to a lesser extent, the Western allies did too, but the sheer volume of war crimes perpetrated by the Wehrmacht would make it virtually impossible to tell an Ostfront soldier's story without either A) showing these atrocities taking place and making the player question why they're bothering to help win the war if it is just going to allow those dishonorable monsters to commit even more mass murder, or B) avoiding them, thereby leaving the developers wide open to accusations of whitewashing history.

"Germans as good guys, Soviets as bad guys" just doesn't sit right with me as a concept, and I can say with confidence that I'm not alone in that.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Reactor wrote:There are some games which allowed the Nazi Germany to win - Battlefield 1942 for instance
Battlefield 1942 is not a story-based game. If you're going to count that, you might as well also count stuff like Steel Panthers, Panzer General, V for Victory...
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well, I do, since any game in which you can play as the Germans count :) I know it's not story-based, but it does have a campaign mode nonetheless (nevertheless?). As for who was better - Germans or Soviets - well, since we were invaded by both of them, I can wholeheartedly say that Soviets were 1000 times worse. But of course, things like this (civilian-killings, holocaust stc.) doesn't have to be in the game at all. It all depends on the game developers' creativity :) I'm sure they could fix together a fine little Axis campaign for the public :)
Trance

Post by Trance »

But they won't, because most game developers who can make it happen have the self-awareness to know that doing that would only bring a shitstorm down upon themselves :) And justifiably so :)
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Trance wrote:But they won't, because most game developers who can make it happen have the self-awareness to know that doing that would only bring a shitstorm down upon themselves :) And justifiably so :)
Sounds like a job for Destructive Creations then. But if there's one thing worse than playing as a Nazi in Nantes, it's playing as a Nip in Nanjing. That would get an AO-rating and a ban down under instantly.

Anyways, here are the late multiplayer reveal and some footage.

Shiet, Day of Infamy looks better and that's a mod.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:Shiet, Day of Infamy looks better and that's a mod.
bollocks, I think WW2 looks nice :)
There's one thing I CAN'T fault CoD for, and is it's visuals. But maybe some people hate CoD THAT much that It can't do anything correct.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Nazi zombies are back and they look much more disturbing :shock:

Return to “Off-Topic”