Quintessential CRPG

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SamVision

Quintessential CRPG

Post by SamVision »

Sometimes I want to step out of my comfort zone and experience something that I have zero expectations for. With the slow resurgence of the CRPG and my complete lack of experience in the genre, what game would you say is the greatest and most absorbing CRPG of all time. I am looking for an overall evaluation that includes all elements from plot, lore, mechanics, content, audiovisual design, etc.
Scripten

Re: Quintessential CRPG

Post by Scripten »

I hear very good things about Planescape: Torment, and what I've played of it is good, if flawed. I also greatly enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2. (Moreso 1, but mostly because it played things a bit more straight.)
Nash

Re: Quintessential CRPG

Post by Nash »

Here are some that I've recently played and highly recommend:

Shadowrun Returns - very well-written plot. Hate the UI though (dialog is to the right of the screen, WTF)
Fallout 1 and 2 - these need no introduction... very freeform do-whatever-you-want RPGs

I also have Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and Icewind Dale, and lastly Neverwinter Nights 2 on Steam but I seem to have trouble enjoying these.

I don't know if it's the D&D learning curve or whatever but, meh, IDK. It says on Steam I have 63 hours on BG1 but truth be told it's more of me just messing around and restarting A LOT because I just can't seem to make characters that don't die every 5 minutes, and I can't enjoy a game if it's a QuickLoad/QuickSave fest. I haven't progressed the storyline much in that 63 hours from wherever the start of the game is.

Casually played NWN2, looks like same deal with BG except it's in full 3D. Again, that D&D combat stuff, just can't wrap my head around it. Haven't played BG2 and Icewind yet, I imagine those are more brutal gameplay-wise.

Return to “Off-Topic”