Heretic vs. Heretic II

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Enjay

Re: Heretic vs. Heretic II

Post by Enjay »

kodi wrote:@Enjay

The Hexen 2 weapon models are ugly and the levels are fairly poorly designed, but the character models and animations are absolutely immaculate in my opinion
Fair point, the enemies certainly were a step up in quality from...

And don't get me started on that stupid looking, very annoying bouncing grey blob monster.
oldschoolgamer1983

Post by oldschoolgamer1983 »

Wow... Didn't recognized my post being this popular. :))
By the way quys. interesting things you say about the the games. :)
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Would kill for a proper Hexen/Heretic reboot. Hellraid was going in that direction but I think it was cancelled.
Nash

Post by Nash »

SamVision wrote:Would kill for a proper Hexen/Heretic reboot. Hellraid was going in that direction but I think it was cancelled.
Hellraid was literally Dead Island with the models and levels swapped out though. :S
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

It's too bad Hexen: Edge of Chaos seems to have stalled. Started as a Doom 3 mod, and they even got permission from Raven Software, but there never seemed to be much drive in the project. Took years just to get the first few levels out, and since then news updates have died off (last news update was a year ago, and the news update prior was a year before that, both claiming they're not dead just moving slowly).
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Nash wrote:
SamVision wrote:Would kill for a proper Hexen/Heretic reboot. Hellraid was going in that direction but I think it was cancelled.
Hellraid was literally Dead Island with the models and levels swapped out though. :S
Not at all, at least not what was envisioned by the developers. Hellraid did indeed start as a Dead Island mod, but the designs and concepts they later showcased looked anything but. They even stated that Heretic/Hexen was a close inspiration. The final product was going to be closer to a First-Person Diablo than a re-skinned Dead Island.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Wow I have basically forgotten about Hellraid, i actually tagged the project to follow it on facebook and steam. Really bummed out to hear it got cancelled though :\ Well technically the facebook post says it is put on hold (indefinitely!), but given that the devs seemed to have achieved great success with dying light, it's likely that they'll cling onto that IP for the foreseeable future. But hey, a man can dream... maybe they will actually return to it a couple years later.
Nash

Post by Nash »

They're also still updating Dying Light, 2 years after the game it's released (I just got an update yesterday!) so I think they're contractually bound to DL, maybe. Most of the recent updates to DL are related to eye-tracking hardware.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Heretic II isn't too bad. The whole II part I can blame Activision for (same for Hexen II, but that is a genuinely bad game)
BFG

Post by BFG »

Lol this is a funny thread. Who would pick Heretic II? it was just some Lara Croft knock-off that we all played when it came out and then it got buried.

Heretic is a timeless FPS game that will still be played, modded and discussed to this day. It has great music, and a unique color palette, weapon and enemy design. It was not your typical 'Might and Magic' fantasy approach where you are fighting dwarfs and goblins with a sword and bow and arrows. It almost took place on an alien planet which had creatures that looked like they were created in Hell.

Also about Hexen II, someone should do a mod that changes the weapons and enemies into sprites like the original game, because in my opinion blocky models don't stand the test of time, but good looking sprites do.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I'm 750% sure spriting everything won't solve Hexen II's design problems. If anything were to be done to Hexen2's artwork, it'd be reuvmapping them very efficiently and then giving them good, properly-sized (256x256) skins - and maybe remodeling some of the boxier-looking monsters to show a little more volume and silhouette.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

BFG wrote:Heretic is a timeless FPS game that will still be played, modded and discussed to this day.
[citation needed]
Spoiler:
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Hexen 2 is definitely a terrible game. Hexen didn't exactly set my world on fire, but at the very least it was somewhat playable even if the level design made me want to drink. Hexen 2 took everything that made Hexen suck and made them worse. Still not sure what Raven was thinking when they made Hexen 2. During my first playthrough, I realized that after five hours of gameplay I had no idea what I was doing, where I was going, what I had done, and what I was supposed to be doing. That right there is a mark of a badly designed game.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

SamVision wrote:During my first playthrough, I realized that after five hours of gameplay I had no idea what I was doing, where I was going, what I had done, and what I was supposed to be doing. That right there is a mark of a badly designed game.
I've never really thought about it that way but, yes, that does sum up the overall feeling of Hexen II and, I have to say, Hexen was a bit like that for me too (especially the first hub).
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

IMHO Heretic II was a good game, i liked it and i think it's definitely worth playing. On the other hand i didn't like Hexen II.

Return to “Off-Topic”