About Doom IV. And no fanboysm about it.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
60dollartechdemo

Re: About Doom IV. And no fanboysm about it.

Post by 60dollartechdemo »

Let's go back to the subject of Doom 4. It's pretty good.
Last edited by 60dollartechdemo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldschoolgamer1983

Post by oldschoolgamer1983 »

60dollartechdemo wrote:
oldschoolgamer1983 wrote:No offense. :)
None taken. Let's go back to the subject of Doom 4. It's pretty good.
I replied to WILDWEASEL. Not you. It wasn't for you. Are you blind or something? -_-
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

oldschoolgamer1983 wrote:
60dollartechdemo wrote:
oldschoolgamer1983 wrote:No offense. :)
None taken. Let's go back to the subject of Doom 4. It's pretty good.
I replied to WILDWEASEL. Not you. It wasn't for you. Are you blind or something? -_-
That response was pretty rude, don't you think? :|
oldschoolgamer1983

That response was pretty rude, don't you think?
Indeed it was. But I am not sorry for it. I am actually happy for doing it though. :)

User was warned for this post.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

A quick parts assembly with prices in my country (let's not forget the high EU VAT):
  • Intel i3 7100 - $125 (I know what you're thinking, but this i3 is actually pretty badass price/performance)
  • 2x4GB DDR4 - $80 [just go with a known brand]
  • B150M Motherboard - ~$75ish [example: GIGABYTE B150M-HD3] (Could go for H110M instead and save a few bucks at the expense of pcie lanes and sata ports, probably some other stuff)
  • GTX 1050ti - ~$180 [example: EVGA SC]
Comes to about $460. Assuming you've already got enough hard drive storage, a power supply of about 400W and a case.
It comes in about $60-60-35 for a Corsair CX430, Seagate 1TB @7.2k RPM and a DeepCool Tesseract BF, for a maximum of $615.

And a video as proof that it's very competent at playing it in 1080p:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfTOytOmiXY
Heck, the guy even managed to record the footage with playable framerates.

I could find a 1TB PS4 at about $300. And the Pro at about ~$440. I'm not intimately familiar with their specs and how it relates to the hardware listed above but I tried my best to guess a fair comparison.
Bottom line, a very comparable PC can be built for slightly more, it's up to your personal preference, though given how PC has all the extra costs if you're not upgrading, it's technically a worse deal if all your activities could be done on a console.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

To me I think it's decently badass and fun to play but I'll still stick with playing Doom in ZDoom™ for it's flexibility.

I'd love to try it if I can make my rig play the game.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I take it that Steam or a console are the only legal ways to play?
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Seems to be that way. It kinda makes sense to be download-only from a physical copy perspective - the game is so big it won't even fit on 2 bluray discs (not to mention the lack of bluray adaptation), though I can't see a big reason why it would be on one digital distribution platform only. Maybe in 20 years it will qualify for GoG.com :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Dancso wrote:It kinda makes sense to be download-only from a physical copy perspective - the game is so big it won't even fit on 2 bluray discs (not to mention the lack of bluray adaptation)
To be honest, in my opinion, that's exactly why it should be fully available on a physical medium of some sort. Huge downloads like that are still a major problem for significant parts of the world, including where I live. I'd happily pay extra to get a self contained physical copy on a few disks than have to download something of that size (and all my usual objections to Steam too :P ). I still remember when people used to buy copies of Win 95 on something like 23 1.44MB floppies; so a handful of Blu-Rays/DVDs should be no biggie.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

As long as you've bought it on steam, It's perfectly possible and legal to copy the game data directly from someone who already has it downloaded, maybe have it mailed via a few flash drives or something.

8-)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

And while I'm sure that's true, it still strikes me as a poor attitude: "Your internet connection is so slow that getting a physical copy is hard for you, but we're not going to address that, merely suggest that you get a copy from a friend with a better internet connection." I mean, Bethesda could provide it on a USB if multiple Blu-Rays were considered inappropriate. In fact, I don't know why so many items of software are still on CD/DVD/Blu-Ray when USB is pretty universal (probably moreso than DVD drives these days), bigger capacity, more reliable and reasonably cheap (though perhaps not as cheap as DVD's even in massive bulk).

Still, I won't be buying it via Steam either way so the point is moot.

On to the game itself; obviously I haven't played it but, looks-wise, it strikes me as a bit awkward. The look of most of the monsters that I have seen seems a bit cartoony and Doom64-ish (i.e. caricatures of what blood-soaked scary is meant to look like). I don't have a problem with that per se but the environment/world/levels still seem to be going for a quite realistic Doom3-ish look to them and that seems to jar with the look of the enemies from what I've seen.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Well, for what it's worth, I am actually pretty happy with it. The monster designs stopped bothering me so much when I realized they paid particular attention to their silhouettes (even the various different kinds of Possessed are easy to differentiate, despite the relative lack of color differences), and I've had fun with every single encounter, even the ones that arbitrarily lock you in the room. It's strange that I don't mind that in this game compared to stuff like Painkiller.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

I'd buy it, but I don't want to go through Steam.Just not fond of Steam.
oldschoolgamer1983

grouchbag wrote:I'd buy it, but I don't want to go through Steam.Just not fond of Steam.
Me neither. I hate that crap.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

Yup!Don't know if my laptop could handle it anyway.I only have 4gbs memory, 500gbs hard drive.Just bought it last Aug, so it's in good shape. :D

Return to “Off-Topic”