Commander Keen Custom Map Editor

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Commander Keen Custom Map Editor

Post by wildweasel »

Abashi76 wrote:What are the system requirements for the editor?
There are none stated. Given that the screenshots appear to have been taken in Windows 8, I imagine the system requirements are "a computer."
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Abashi76 wrote:
Trance wrote:Apparently all he gets is a noise. *shrug*

Abashi doesn't typically spend more than two posts on a problem he's having. And if he isn't that committed to finding a solution to his problem, there's no reason for us to be any more committed than he is.
My computer says that the program does not run in Dos mode. When i click on it in Windows it just does nothing, and it doesn't even make a sound. I clicked on the exe.

So.. DOSBox?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DOSBox won't help if it doesn't run in DOS mode. It's a Windows program.
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

I tried it, but my computer does nothing then makes a sound. Damn it : i really wanted to make a Commander Keen 4 mod.
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

I got a new computer last year, but i havn't been using it yet. The reason is i have too much stuff on my laptop to carry over with just a usb port ; i would have to take the hard drive out somehow.

I tried just clicking on the exe and running it in Dosbox and it didn't work.

I am trying again, and all the happens is my computer loads for a long time and then nothing happens. It is still loading as i type this post and i know nothing is going to happen. :3:

EDIT: Actually something happened, it asked me for an update then it put up a black bow with the program name. After that it opened up Dosbox. I forgot what the tiny message was but i don't think it matters.

Okay, it worked, or at least it seems like it. I'm going to test it, but i don't think i will be able to figure out how to use it because i don't think its going to be as simple as editing Doom.
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

I have a question : Can you make as many levels as you want or is it limited to 17 maps? I know i can add a lot more textures.

I came across the first problem : how do i scroll to the left without having to zoom out all the way?

Okay : i found out how to go to different parts of the map. It looks like i can add as many levels as i want.

Are there tutorials on how to do this because it looks too hard to figure it out by myself?

Also, is it possible to add new maps without deleting the old ones? By that, i mean i never enter the original maps from shadowlands ........
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

You should really go to a CK community to ask these questions. And probably do some Google searching before you ask them.
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

For some reason i can't save. I opened a new map after storing the original maps as maps 33-49 and i started a test map at map 50. I am planning on making 30 maps with maps 31-32 being the rocket level and credits from the original game & map 0 being Shadowlands.

EDIT : it did save but i got an error message the first time, and the next time i try to save it just gives me an error message. Can i save more than once every time i make progress or do i need to use a different computer? Actually, it didn't save after i made the test map .... Oh, it worked, i saved!

Oh, how do i add resources?
Trance

Post by Trance »

Scripten wrote:You should really go to a CK community to ask these questions. And probably do some Google searching before you ask them.
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

I don't know how to make passage ways. I see them in the editor with all these numbers but i don't know how to place them.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Did you read the help files with the program? Those can actually tell you what to do without having to post a question and wait for a response!

An unrelated forum is a poor substitute for documentation. On that note: The Public Commander Keen Forum is better equipped to help you. I will not give you a link, because you can find them very, very easily. It literally takes less effort than posting another question here.

If you can't or won't do such simple things for yourself, you will be incapable of creating anything of value.
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

For some reason the save function isn't working. I made 30 maps to work on and then it refuses to save. I have to quite without saving and then i only get eight maps left.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Have you made any attempts to follow Neuralstunner's suggestion?
Abashi76

Post by Abashi76 »

Hellser wrote:Have you made any attempts to follow Neuralstunner's suggestion?
I did exactly what the documentation said yesterday. So far it worked this time. The last time i got an error message.

EDIT : I got the error again after i named my maps.
Error Saving!

It's possible that some files were partially saved and may be corrupted. Save before closing to ensure consistent data.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

It is clear that no one here can help you with your problems.

Please consult The Public Commander Keen Forum for additional assistance.

Return to “Off-Topic”