StarCraft Remastered

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
ibm5155

Re: StarCraft Remastered

Post by ibm5155 »

Some sprites are smoother but from what I saw they are just the buildings...
I heard it was decided to leave it that way by pro koreans request.

They also could've used the original 3D models, but at the end it may look too different from what people used to look while playing the game.

But it's still in alpha stage, there are many unaligned animations in hd mode and also a mix of old/new sprites .
On the future many features may change, but not the ones that affect the gameplay.

Heck, working with low res sprites must be a pain in the ass like this one http://i.imgur.com/pPZldID.png
kodi

Post by kodi »

That's amazing. I spent countless hours playing custom maps in multiplayer. Game modes like Cat & Mouse, Matrix, Bunker Wars etc.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

ibm5155 wrote:Some sprites are smoother but from what I saw they are just the buildings...
I heard it was decided to leave it that way by pro koreans request.
Again, the client is the same underneath. The animations are exactly the same, even for the buildings. It's just animated better since they have more pixel space to work with. Also:
Blizzard Entertainment wrote:Our core objectives with the art were twofold:
First was to maintain the original unit silhouettes and animations. We got feedback from players that the shapes and movements heavily influenced recognition during gameplay.

Second was filling in the details in an authentic way. We talked to the original artists as much as we could to discover, “what did you imagine those handful of pixels actually were?”
Blizzard Entertainment wrote:The shipped version will maintain the silhouettes and animations. The detail work was sometimes a bit tricky. Large units have a lot of flat pixels in the original. Seeing huge swaths of monotone on a Battlecruiser or many of the buildings didn’t strike us as true to what the concepts and original artists intended.

We could have programmatically replaced the art if we were going for that type of effect. Instead, we tried to fill those spaces in with the style and details that matched each race.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Maybe, but from what I saw there were one protoss build animation with some extra frames so the animation was more smooth...
also:

Also
https://giphy.com/gifs/blizzard-ent-l0Iy4b83b0PhoZBG8
the soldiers were the things that I never got what the heck was in that sprite
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

hmm they replaced the directdraw render with an opengl one....
It looks like with that they'll drop support to legacy hardware :( So I'll stay with the older version for playing with my old computers and the new one for a better support.
EDIT: and it looks like they are using glsl files

At any case:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcra ... 707?page=1
Here's the full starcraft brood ware download link in beta state (not the remastered one)
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

This is so neat. I used to waste a ton of time on this game as a child. ^_^
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I'm still sad for no Linux support, but at least it looks like the WINE team has a handle on the problems. Fingers crossed for either native support or WINE-2.x functionality soon.

8-)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

One of my favorite RTS games of all time. I'm really glad this is happening, no more struggles to make the game run on modern systems.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I dont get why people conplain about the game, the last version worked just great in windows 10 without any kind of color glitch.
On the other side, blizzard gave a fuck and just released the last beta build as is.

And now here am I, with a radeon hd5450 that cant run the game because the graphics card doesn't support some optional opengles features that the game requires '-'.
Plus problem with sounds not being played, shadows from units being the same and not an add when many units are in the same area, color glitches, javascript menus not working, unit limit that breaks the most played maps online, input lag,...

Heck blizzard, why? u guys should have fixed all those problems before releasing it ;--;

EDIT:
Fun fact, blizzard wanted that starcraft 1 was going to require opengl 4 as a min req.
Just imagine the amount of people that were going to be pissed after updating the game, just as a note here's the last system req from the game:
-Pentium 90 or more (now a 2GHz cpu)
-32mb of ram (now 200mb)
-a directdraw compatible card (so, any kind of 2d gpu?)

EDIT2:
The sad part for me is that at least with the opengl 4 build I could run the game, now I can't even start (they did something to use opengl 2.x only features)
Trance

Post by Trance »

Yeah, I spent a few hours downloading it the other night just to learn that it flat refuses to start because OpenGL won't initialize.

I never had the opportunity to obsess over it in childhood so it's no great loss to me. I think Hellser's more disappointed at that turnout than I am.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Yeah. I can understand why they're using such a high OpenGL language (probably for shaders, sprite layering or whatever). But it does limit those with lower end computers to play with others. Kind of wanted to get a 3v3 or 4v4 versus bots going with my friends.

But! I still have the *cough* Hacks *cough* for v1.16 (and even the installation) if I want to go back to that. I like the changes. I just wish my friends can play it.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

rofl they just did another update.
Howdy Friends,

We're working on the new graphics card related crashes. Any additional information you can provide on your rigs will help.

We will get a hotfix out as quickly as possible. After we resolve that we'll start addressing the open questions. Keep the feedback coming. Go team.

Cheers,
Pete
There's still hope
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I was looking forward to this, oh well, rip in Intel-fuck-you-too-drivers.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

"Implementing DirectX9 Support
This is going to take a minute... but will resolve many of our compatibility issues with low spec machines. We will have a PTR build for testing in the coming weeks as it is ready.
"
It's funny how the drivers are quite well done compared to the opengl ones, hmmm at least it'll make the game even run in those old intel gmas :D (and also in my amd with their broken drivers)

Return to “Off-Topic”