So... The Nintendo Switch is out?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Clownman

So... The Nintendo Switch is out?

Post by Clownman »

Figured it'd be a good time to make a thread on release day. I've heard mixed comments about it ranging from technical issues to "it's good but it's not worth it right now".

Really, I'm not buying it until Mario Odyssey comes out. (Considering I've been sick of the "NSMB Syndrome" the series has been suffering throughout the whole Wii U generation. It's why I've been playing more Sonic games as of recently ironically.) I am kind of worried hearing about the Joycon issues and that it supposedly runs Zelda WORSE when docked. Can anyone confirm this or has anybody managed to pick up a system yet?

Also I don't care if it's not as powerful as the Xbox One or PS4, The graphical leaps aren't that significantly noticeable anymore. Just make a system that's easy to develop/port for and well... ACTUALLY WORKS.
SamVision

Re: So... The Nintendo Switch is out?

Post by SamVision »

Nintendo should be smart and port the best Wii U exclusives to the Switch.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

SamVision wrote:Nintendo should be smart and port the best Wii U exclusives to the Switch.
They've already made certain Wii U games kind of redunant now considering they have been porting them to the 3DS, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did this... It'd make sense too, Especially if it can bundle both features from the 3DS and Wii U along with new content.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

it looks interesting on paper, but i'm not having much incentive myself to buy it myself. especially since Nintendo seems completely and utterly unable to understand what to do with Metroid at all anymore, which has been dead for a whole decade as far as i'm concerned. imagine if Mario or Zelda had the same thing happening to them, people would've been maniacal about it.

neat looking console, but personally no incentive to get it whatsoever for me.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Yeah, Wii U titles on the Switch like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (I never heard of it, but it would be good to see it) for instance!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Clownman wrote:They've already made certain Wii U games kind of redunant now considering they have been porting them to the 3DS, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did this...
Not quite porting directly. Super Smash Brothers is relatively equivalent between the two, but Super Mario Maker for 3DS is a joke. (Limited feature set, no online sharing, what's the point really? All the assumption that a portable console means you have 50,000 local friends to share data with...)
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

NeuralStunner wrote:All the assumption that a portable console means you have 50,000 local friends to share data with...
To be fair, Nintendo is still Japan-orientated, even with how much they've done for a global market. This assumption is a lot more accurate over there, given that a. video games never had as much of a stigma attached to them over there compared to in the Western world, so there's less hesitating to communicate and bond over video games in public and b. there's not really wide stretches of land over there - space is a luxury, so everyone's relatively jammed together, making it far more easier to run into people playing games.

If Nintendo games weren't as popular globally as they are, we'd probably never see stuff like the GTS in Pokemon and Nintendo would likely be far more behind in terms of online multiplayer, simply because nearly all of their audience would be in a place where they simply aren't as necessary.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

It feels like it's being rushed if it's having to rely on things like friend codes for the first few months. It doesn't have much in the way of games either yet, I'm gonna wait.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

No real incentive for me to get one, Capcom said there are no plans for a Monster Hunter title currently, the only game I'd play on it would be Breath of the Wild, maybe Mario Odyssey.
cambertian

Post by cambertian »

I'm rather meh on the Switch. Lots of games I have on other consoles, seldom new IPs that are actually worth a damn, and no returning cult classics like F-Zero, Metroid, Mother...
The portability would've been nice a few years back, when they started making gaming tablets like the Nvidia Shield, but I feel I'm already set with portable devices now...

If you're gonna stick with Ninty, do so. But please don't be like every other fan staying blindly by Nintendo's side. They're not the little guys anymore. If anything, they're Triple-A.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

When where they ever the "little guys"?
cambertian

Post by cambertian »

Jaxxoon R wrote:When where they ever the "little guys"?
Nintendo products started losing sales sometime around the mid-90s - the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube were seen in third at the time of release. The Wii boosted them back up to prominence.
Plus they have this sort of magical reverence around them, and not just because they've been around the block... Since they're the only ones left doing things other developers aren't, like making "all-ages" games, or developing proprietary hardware, they're seen as the "little guys" or "underdogs."

Fitting given that the Switch controller looks like a dog... heh.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

The main killer is whatever or not the switch will have 3rd party suport becouse that what killed the Wii U. and the rumors that the console is bricking imidietly is conserning as well. :|
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

cambertian wrote: Fitting given that the Switch controller looks like a dog... heh.
Albeit a dog with serious ocular displacement issues. :P

VR support would be fun, and not in red-and-black this time.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

VR was just an (expensive) gimmick which the hype is already dying down as of late. Never really cared for it...

Return to “Off-Topic”