Proper and legal way to release standalone mod?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NantoCodd

Proper and legal way to release standalone mod?

Post by NantoCodd »

So, lets say that I just found a TC or gameplay mod for Doom, based on ZDoom. I think "Everyone should play this!" and I plan to release a downloadable standalone version that people can easily download and play, rather than have to follow steps like "1, download mod. 2, download zdoom here. 3, download freedoom here. etc"

Rather, I want to compile the mod together so inside the folder there would be : mod file + zdoom executable + a copy of freedoom2.wad + a .bat file to run them.
Should I include some disclaimer, readme, or it is okay just like above?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Proper and legal way to release standalone mod?

Post by Rachael »

It's okay just like above as long as you don't try to sell it.

Make sure to include "licenses.zip" from whichever ZDoom distribution you are using.

Also I would not bother with the .bat file. Just include a zdoom.ini file (without your user name) that has your mod on auto load.
manofhonor

Post by manofhonor »

Also I should mention this to help you out sir, I would recommend if you use any other peoples content to be sure to credit them as needed, because the doom community takes stuff like that very serious around here. Also add there content and links also to the readme, it just shows that you respect the other person for the projects they make for us to play. :)
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Thank you for all the advices, I already included a readme referring to the original thread and credits. If you want to know, it is the recently released Silent Hill Orphan TC.
manofhonor

Post by manofhonor »

cool nice work.

Return to “Off-Topic”