Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy (He's back)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Freaklore1

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy (He's back)

Post by Freaklore1 »

Yeah im a bit late on the subject since it was already announced a little while ago,but i noticed there was no topic on it,so i decided to make one.

So yeah,he's back and as good as ever,the original PS1 trilogy is coming back with a fresh coat of paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbO2-egZ3U (the trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqT6B0sQRHM (comparing the original with the remake,intro cutscene and first level)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKXA1bkkkU (and here's an interview video)

So what do you guys think ? Im happy to see Crash finally coming back and so far this remaster look quite faithful to the originals.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy (He's back)

Post by wildweasel »

The footage looks pretty impressive. I've only beaten 2 and Warped, so this might be a great chance to revisit the first game.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

I wonder if the first game has been altered to be easier, since it is pretty infamous for having some mean moments. I am already seeing some things that arent there in the original, like box counters for the end of the stage and the bonus stages as well as time trials.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

They've said that outside those small additions the ports are very faithful, this is one of those things that I simply can't miss.
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

The first game is the one that i didnt really finished yet,i only did a fews levels for the moment.

The 2nd and 3rd game are the ones i played as a kid,it's not until about a year or 2 now that i got my hand on the first game.

And i must tell ya,Crash 1 is definitely harder than the other 2 sequels.
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

You know...there's one thing im kind of afraid off .

And that is that the devs might miss some details when making the remaster,things like secret warps,fake crash on an island in one of Coco water level in Crash 3,or how you can see Crash 1 island in the background in that N.Brio warp room in Crash 2.

Naughty Dog were very careful when making details in their Crash Games and i hope Vicarious Vision wont miss a single of them.

Well they did work on a fews Crash games in the past like the ones on Gameboy Advance and those were pretty faithful to the originals,so maybe i dont need to worry...still...who know ?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd expect they have the entire original source code at hand for this, considering how accurate the rest of it has been.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

Pretty sure they mentioned having the original models and basing their work on those, so high chance they wont miss any detail unless it's something really minuscule or stupid.
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

Yeah,i also know that there's a fews exploits that you can do in these games,especially with Crash 3.

Like i think there's a way to get the yellow gem quite early in one of those Arabian levels.

Or in one of those prehistoric levels,when Crash come back from a bonus room and the bonus platform pass over a triceratop cave opening,if you start running toward the camera when passing over it with the platform you'll activate the triceratop before you even went down there.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

the first Crash is almost a entirely different challenge compared to it's sequels. It makes Crash Twinsanity look like kindergarten. Seriously, look:

To get the diamonds, you must collect all the boxes as usual, but:

- If you die, you must get back to the very beginning of the level, because all boxes behind you respawned. (which means if you got the checkpoint, you're f*d.)
- The secret ending depends on a stage where EACH diamond is a plataform you must jump until the end (42 of them, if i recall)
- The game does not gives you valuable hints on how to get the secret diamonds (those you don't get by getting boxes).
- Indiana Jones-like Stone levels are ridicously hard compared to Crash 2.
- You dont dash;
- You don't do the belly attack;
- You don't earn powerups from bosses, like Warped.
- You don't fuck around.

Sorry, childhood trauma.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

Yeah, Crash 1 was a very unforgiving game, those Stone temple levels are forever burnt in my brain, alongside my most horrid nightmares.
One could say, Twinsanity's difficulty comes from how clunky the game felt at times :V.
I wonder how many people here enjoyed the Titans games, I certainly did.

Edit: Meant clunky, not badly designed.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Crash seemed to fare a bit better than Spyro did. he had a few okay games on the PS2 that apparently weren't great or very groundbreaking, but at least enjoyable enough to not be complete trash. i think when the Titans games came, he started to lose it. but at least he didn't completely bomb like Spyro, which had two head-ache inducing and nauseating GBA games, followed by the infamous Enter The Dragonfly, one of the worst games of all time. i hope Spyro will get a similar remaster treatment at the very least, he deserves it too.

i'll probably get the N Sane Trilogy even though i wasn't the biggest Crash fan. it looks to be very well-made and faithful to the original.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Funny thing... a Crash Bandicoot 1 remaster. It is one of (a few?) games that actually does not need it at all. Its graphics were so breathtaking in 1996, it looked like the game came from another world (Oddworld also, but it achieved this effect in a wholly different way). All there is left to do, is perhaps improve animations, enhance the grass, and upscale the character models. Everything else is so beautiful, it should be left alone completely. This game should be a premier piece at some game art museum.

That stone temple levels (Lost City and Sunset Vista) were very difficult, especially the later one. And doing them on one life? Forget it. I would not have patience to get through more than half of Sunset Vista without losing lives.

As for original's difficulty: it seems that the remaster is going to keep it. GAA1992 enumerated how much the sequels expanded upon Crash abilites, but that is not all! For example, Crash could not slide until Crash 2. All you had in the first game was jumping and spinkicking (and maybe a rare chance to blaze through with a triple Aku Aku or to blow some enemy up with a well-timed TNT detonation). In Crash 2, mobility was enhanced monumentally by simple sliding, and thus there were many enemies that had to be taken out by this low-aiming attack. Sliding also enabled to do high jumps. Also, Crash 3 added double jumps (BUT OF COURSE!) and super-overpowered tornado kicking (allowing you to hover for some two seconds!). Oh, and the Wumpa Bazooka that made trivial most of the enemies in the game 4/5 way through. Super boots were mostly useful for Relic trials.

BTW: I am wondering if they will bother to actually add that extremely hard sister level of Slippery Climb: the Stormy Ascent. Any veteran of the first game knows the former, and if you are unfamiliar with the (cut) latter one, here is the video.
Last edited by shotfan on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Yes, the "dash" i mentioned is actually the sliding! Sorry for expressing myself bad.

Also, only in Crash 2 you have the belly "attack" that could be useful both for killing some enemies (except for those crazy chainsaw turtles), and also for getting many boxes fast. It was a two-way move though, it could blow some nitros/tnt's nearby.

I'm not saying it became ridicously easy, though. Crash 2's third and fourth worlds were already signs of a big difficulty progression. Crash 3 becomes way easier after you get the bazooka, but imagine if you didn't had it (remember future stages where enemies are really far away, shooting at you?), or even, if it took away fruits from you each time you would fire them. It would be limited to 99 shots, and make the game harder due to the fact you wouldn't get lives so easy.

EDIT: i hope they will. I always wanted to play that bridge level.
shotfan

Post by shotfan »

Yeah, I expected that Wumpa Bazooka uses Wumpas as actual ammunition to balance it out. Instead, all of what you have to worry about it is being stationary while you fire (so it is of rather limited use in Relic trials). Your idea would make perfect sense: you get this awesome (and funny) weapon, but in exchange for using it your lives supply will be smaller (and still not reduced that much if your aim is decent at all).

The sequels got progressively easier. The biggest change was the fact that you could save anytime in the Warp Room. Almost as significant was lifting of no deaths requirement for Gems. Crash 2 and 3 (more the former) could be hard at times, but the first game required real precision pretty much always, sans perhaps for the first quarter of the game. Then Wrath of Cortex became a bit harder again, mostly probably because of longer levels IIRC (I could not, since I did not play it for a VERY long time). I did not play anything past that, but from what I read Twinsanity was the last decent Crash game (and, coincidentally, the last developed by Traveller's Tales).

Also, on difficulty topic: Crash Bash. Really hard with Relics. I fell short of several Gems or Relics from completing that game in full.

Oh, there were also much more cut levels from original Crash: a waterfall level with launching mushrooms, and logs that sprung you upwards upon rocks falling on them due to counterweight action; or a cavern similar to Brio's bonus levels, only flooded with toxic slime (reminds me of UAC's handling of environment issues... :lol: ); or a descending mountainside level with DINGOS! Check the Bandipedia or GarlandTheGreat's channel if you desire to know more. I would love to see them in the actual game this time, as the remaster provides a perfect opportunity for that.

Return to “Off-Topic”