DUSK - an actually-authentic retro shooter wtf

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: DUSK - an actually-authentic retro shooter wtf

Post by wildweasel »

eyesoftheworld94 wrote:Have been watching playthroughs of the first episode a-lot. With the impending release incoming very soon (Halloween), is it still too soon to gather a group effort and create a faithful TC to this game for GZDoom yet?
I'd like to preface this with a disclaimer that I am not, by any means at all, telling you that you are not allowed to make such a thing...but I really must wonder, why bother porting games back to Doom? Why not examine the game in more detail and take inspiration from the elements that you like, and make those things yourself, instead of sticking firmly (yet blindly) to the mechanics of an existing game, for better or worse?
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

A DUSK TC would probably be better suited to Quake instead of Doom because DUSK is heavily influenced by Quake in terms of its visuals, physics and gameplay. That said, I wouldn't mind a DUSK weapons mod for Doom anyway.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Dusk is getting modding support. just make stuff for that, dude.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Rushing to make a directly-derivative knockoff is an easy path for quick fame these days. I don't personally recommend or encourage it, and Quake has seen plenty of that as soon as the PSP homebrew port arrived and sparked many young and naive imaginations to do the same with [popular 2006-2009 games] without giving much thought into the capabilities and (HARD) limitations to their scope of derivative fantasy.

and like i've said earlier in the thread a year ago, there's already a bunch.... maybe without the gratuitous physics mechanics or angle-limits-unlocked aiming but that's for more engine hackery territory beyond the 1997 scope anyway.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

For details' sake, the game currently includes 2 out of the 3 singleplayer episodes, plus the multiplayer component (DuskWorld), so this is a far cry from most things that carry the un-coveted "Early Access" label. It isn't any different than what they were doing previously ("preorder now and play the 1st episode right now"), sans the labeling and the fact you can actually leave Steam reviews now.

BTW, Episode 2 is fucking fantastic, so it's absolutely worth a pick-up right now for those not insisting on holding out for the third episode.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

I just finished the first episode. (After getting myself cornered a couple times by the bosses, I apparently earned an Untouchable medal.)

These guys clearly played a lot of Quake, the entire feel is spot-on. All the large, outdoor areas make it a lot more enjoyable to circle-strafe masses of enemies. The levels and environments are a lot more detailed than the blocky retro model aesthetic may suggest, so I'll give them +1 on that.

Also, your basic "armor bonus" is a beer, and it['s possible to have too many and get tipsy. Excellent.

Return to “Off-Topic”