DUSK - an actually-authentic retro shooter wtf

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
InsanityBringer

Re: DUSK - an actually-authentic retro shooter wtf

Post by InsanityBringer »

Well, with the reception to E1, I'll cast off some of my pessimism. I'll admit I'm still not huge into the visual look of the thing, but it certainly does seem like a fun enough game and lacks some of the things I really felt made strafe and co. really annoying. the environments shown in LGR's vid do show environments that look about right though, in terms of overall shape and lighting (The lighting gives me some big unreal vibes)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

phantombeta wrote: While I'm really, REALLY late, one thing to add to that list is that Unity seems to use an absurd amount of RAM.
Pretty much all Unity games I've played start out using at least 1 GB of RAM, even ones that shouldn't need that much. Usually the RAM usage actually lowers after the game starts actually loading and stuff, but even then it only drops to around 500 MB. (Although in most Unity games I've played the RAM usage got back to >700 MB after they finished loading...)
I find this pretty annoying, myself. I'm also pretty damn sure it's a problem with the engine itself, as literally every Unity game I've ever played does this.

(I wish I hadn't been gone from here for I think all of 2016 :\)

You will probably encounter the same problem with any modern game. High resolution textures tend to consume a lot of memory. Even GZDoom needs 80 MB to start up on a simple map, and now replace all those low-res Doom textures wth ones that have double or quadruple resolution and the RAM will quickly fill up.

Or think about this: The more recent version of the Doomsday engine waste 500 MB just for the GUI they put over the games.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Somehow the aesthetics have really grown on me. At first I shrugged it off as "another indie dev trying to cut corners by using the done-to-death retro aesthetic card", but as I began to observe the gameplay more over the looks, it felt fitting.
I'm really excited to get it on launch though I find the price a bit steep
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Graf Zahl wrote:
phantombeta wrote: While I'm really, REALLY late, one thing to add to that list is that Unity seems to use an absurd amount of RAM.
Pretty much all Unity games I've played start out using at least 1 GB of RAM, even ones that shouldn't need that much. Usually the RAM usage actually lowers after the game starts actually loading and stuff, but even then it only drops to around 500 MB. (Although in most Unity games I've played the RAM usage got back to >700 MB after they finished loading...)
I find this pretty annoying, myself. I'm also pretty damn sure it's a problem with the engine itself, as literally every Unity game I've ever played does this.

(I wish I hadn't been gone from here for I think all of 2016 :\)

You will probably encounter the same problem with any modern game. High resolution textures tend to consume a lot of memory. Even GZDoom needs 80 MB to start up on a simple map, and now replace all those low-res Doom textures wth ones that have double or quadruple resolution and the RAM will quickly fill up.

Or think about this: The more recent version of the Doomsday engine waste 500 MB just for the GUI they put over the games.
Except the process for all Unity games I've played starts out at 1GB. This is literally before the game itself has started. As soon as the window pops up, and LONG before the game can even start loading, it's already at 1 GB.
It doesn't help that most Unity games don't bother with properly loading assets and load every single asset at full resolution at startup, (For example, Kerbal Space Program) but that at least only happens once whatever insane thing Unity is doing stops happening and RAM usage drops to around 500 MB.
Oh, and your point would actually make sense if it happened only with games with high res graphics. It doesn't. It happens with literally all Unity games, no matter how high the resolution of the graphics actually is.

I wouldn't doubt this is something to do with the fact that .NET (And probably Mono, since there's no reason to make this different) apparently only does garbage collection when you start running out of (usable) memory. (and IIRC it only actually does it when you try to allocate memory and there's none left)

TL;DR: Unity starts out at 1 GB RAM usage for no reason at all, and drops to 500 MB right before the game starts actually loading its assets.

Oh, and yet another point to put in that list is that C# isn't really a good language for making games. Or maybe I'm just somewhat biased because D has C#'s ease of use but is faster, more flexible and more powerful. Although I am sorta making a FPS engine in C#, so I guess I have a bit experience with making games in C#. (I started making it because I wanted to make a standalone FPS but GZDoom wasn't powerful enough... And then ZScript happened, so I'm now just doing it for learning purposes)

(I use both C# and D. I prefer D for making things like games and command-line tools, while I prefer C# for making things that need GUIs. I'm actually only using C# for the engine I'm making because I found NOTHING like OpenTk for D)

EDIT: wtf did I do with those bbcode tags.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, played E1 and loved the hell out of it. The game's living up to my hopes, WTF.

Related semi-tangent: There's a super-cool video about Shovel Knight and how it manages to evoke the nostalgia of the 8-bit games era while smoothing out the rough spots and rose-tinting things a bit, and I think Dusk does a lot of those same things. There are definitely a lot of things that are obviously faux-retro to those of us well-versed with (and those weapon models are indeed overcompensatedly-blocky), but it nails the heart n' soul. Plus it's fast as hell and fun as shit and holy geeze the bunnyhopping mechanics AAAAAAAAAA, etc.

TL;DR: if it doesn't seem abhorrent and you've not got a Unity hateboner, pick it up. Though do be warned that the episode isn't terribly long. Nicely replayable though. :D
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I really like how the klanklergymen are so evocative of the Doom imps while still being clearly their own thing.

(also a game where the main badguy marker is a Klan hood is something we all really need these days)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

My biggest gripe with the game so far is that, much like Doom's Knee Deep in the Dead, it is way too generous in terms of weapons, health and ammunition. I mean, you can get the Double-Barrelled Shotgun easily from E1M1 and one of E1M2's secrets give you the entire arsenal of the game! If the enemies were tough or came in massive waves, it would be acceptable, but for the most time, they can be quickly dispatched with the Shotgun alone. I am at E1M6 now and I can only hope the game gets more difficult and starts introducing beefier, deadlier enemies.

That and rough edges aside, I like what I have been seeing and hearing in the game so far.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Are you on Cero Miedo?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Of course. Why?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Am I fighting the KKK in this game?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Not explicitly so, no. What you are fighting against is essentially a demonic cult.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Despite what others think of this game, as far as crude-looking graphics are concerned...I'd like to see how this game pans out when it's finally released next month...just in time for Halloween.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Amuscaria wrote:Am I fighting the KKK in this game?
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Not explicitly so, no. What you are fighting against is essentially a demonic cult.
Jim Henson and Ayn Rand wrote:JIM HENSON
I think Ms. Rand and my character Oscar the Grouch would have a lot to talk about actually. I am laughing out loud at this idea.

AYN RAND
Why would I want to talk to him. What has he achieved or trying to achieve.

JIM HENSON
He has achieved what I think is the ultimate goal of your way of thinking.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

0mrcynic0 wrote:when it's finally released next month...just in time for Halloween.
Too bad that date is only a placeholder. It might not come out until 2018 worst case scenario. Apparently Valve required them to set some date.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Nevander wrote: Too bad that date is only a placeholder. It might not come out until 2018 worst case scenario. Apparently Valve required them to set some date.
Ah crap...and too bad it's only on Steam.

Return to “Off-Topic”