[Quake 2] Mission 64 (Q2 n64 -> PC recreation attempt)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Mav3rick

Re: [Quake 2] Mission 64 (Q2 n64 -> PC recreation attempt)

Post by Mav3rick »

MaxED what map editor did you use to make the maps??
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

I am having the exact same problem as HazeBandicoot.... Launches then closes itself. I even tried replaceing the .dll you provided and still the same problem. I did not have these issues with the first version you put up. (Using Windows 7 OS btw don't know if that helps)

Also for some reason I cant delete the "winmm.dll " as Mav3rick suggested doing... I do hope you are able to figure out whats going on..... Because I would really love to give map 2 a go.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

MaxED wrote:Unless you volunteer to port (and support) both all Lazarus-related stuff and the bits and pieces I've changed for M64 to your favourite Q2 engine, I THINK I'll keep using KMQ2.
The enhanced modding support is the main reason I've picked it, not the flashy graphics (there aren't that many graphical enhancements in KMQ2 btw and you can disable all of them if you so desire).
KMQuake2 operates on an all-or-nothing principle. Turning off "modern particles" turns off all particles for example. There's no option for the canonical quake2 appearance with the engine (old particles puff models, etc), just like every other damn q2 sourceport

also it'll still force mouse acceleration
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Mav3rick wrote:MaxED what map editor did you use to make the maps??
JACK.
JimpArgon wrote:I am having the exact same problem as HazeBandicoot...
Is it fixable using the same solution (running KMQ2 as an admin)?
leileilol wrote:KMQuake2 operates on an all-or-nothing principle. Turning off "modern particles" turns off all particles for example. There's no option for the canonical quake2 appearance with the engine (old particles puff models, etc), just like every other damn q2 sourceport
Do you have a solution for that, or is it just more nagging?
leileilol wrote:also it'll still force mouse acceleration
Doesn't happen on my side. Try turning v-synch off.
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

MaxED wrote:Is it fixable using the same solution (running KMQ2 as an admin)?
That fixed it. However I think I should mention that I was using the included batch file to attempt to launch the game (as I did with the first version) now I just made sure that KMquake was run set to "run as admin" then just double click on the KM quake.exe and it boots right up.

Thanks
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

leileilol wrote:
MaxED wrote:Unless you volunteer to port (and support) both all Lazarus-related stuff and the bits and pieces I've changed for M64 to your favourite Q2 engine, I THINK I'll keep using KMQ2.
The enhanced modding support is the main reason I've picked it, not the flashy graphics (there aren't that many graphical enhancements in KMQ2 btw and you can disable all of them if you so desire).
KMQuake2 operates on an all-or-nothing principle. Turning off "modern particles" turns off all particles for example. There's no option for the canonical quake2 appearance with the engine (old particles puff models, etc), just like every other damn q2 sourceport

also it'll still force mouse acceleration
Might I suggest UQE? It's basically vanilla Quake/Quake II/Hexen II with native widescreen/FOV support. Dammit, the Q1 version doesn't even have interpolated frames :P
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

How does it differs form Unofficial Quake2 Patch?
As I've already said, if you volunteer to port (and support) both all Lazarus-related stuff and the bits and pieces I've changed for M64, then why not...
Also you'll have to port fog rendering, texture glows and that RGB enhancement thingy KMQ2 does, because I use/like them.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

MaxED wrote:How does it differs form Unofficial Quake2 Patch?
I forgot to mention the .OGG music support :P

Also, a bit more on-topic, I was toying with the idea of doing these before I discovered that Elysium had beaten me to it.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Mission 3 is done. Download link is in the first post. Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler:
Game.dll changes:
It's no longer possible to switch to "No weapon" weapon using "next/prev weapon" commands.
"No ammo for [unrelated] weapon" messages are no longer displayed when using "next/prev weapon" commands.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

This looks fantastic.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Damn this just gets better and better.

I love how you've gone for a bit of artistic licence with the geometric detail, using the N64 textures but making the maps look worthy of the PC version, also upping the ante slightly with the enemy placement (I played through stock Q264 very recently ;)). As the PSX Doom TC has shown, the original placements would have been way too easy (tough enough with an N64 pad, mind :P).

One thing I need to ask - is there a fix for the empty weapon slot in regular Q2/mission packs?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

scalliano wrote:upping the ante slightly with the enemy placement.
Monster placement matches Q2 N64 hard difficulty setting (I can't guarantee that all the monster positions are exactly the same as in N64 version, because I don't have map sources, but it should be very close).
scalliano wrote:One thing I need to ask - is there a fix for the empty weapon slot in regular Q2/mission packs?
You'll need to modify the appropriate game.dlls...
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

That explains it. I've been playing the N64 on Medium. I didn't dare to go any harder with that damn thumbstick ...

It's not that different, anyway. The odd extra Berserker/Gunner here and there. It was enough to surprise me but nothing I couldn't handle.

Also, is it just me or are the Berserkers faster and more aggressive?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

scalliano wrote:Also, is it just me or are the Berserkers faster and more aggressive?
They are 1.5 faster than in Q2 and their attack animations have much less "wind up" frames. Also their chance of entering pain state is somewhat lowered.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

That strikes me as something of an unnecessary change, much like the addition of enemy footsteps, considering everything else so far is pretty much bang-on to the subject material. Personally, I'd prefer it if the stock enemy behaviour remained unaltered. Why go to the trouble of producing such an accurate recreation of the N64 port only to start messing with the original assets? Granted, the fact that the Berseker appeared to hit me as it was merely winding up was annoying, but it still doesn't necessitate a 50% increase in speed.

Return to “Off-Topic”