Quake Champions (from E3 2016)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Quake Champions (from E3 2016)

Post by Kinsie »

Xtyfe wrote:They made the tools such a huge pile of shit didn't they? Saying that "New games make me scurrred" is no excuse.
The Id Studio tools are bad because they were designed for a AAA studio with a render farm. They weren't very usable for enthusiasts, and I don't expect a lot has changed in comparison to, say, Unreal Engine 4.

On a more positive note, MachineGames (Wolfenstein: The New Order) have uploaded something you might all be VERY interested in...
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Xtyfe »

Kinsie wrote:On a more positive note, MachineGames (Wolfenstein: The New Order) have uploaded something you might all be VERY interested in...
Now you see boys and girls, this is how companies should behave. Pro-consumer and not pro-corporate circle jerk.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

New episode isn't bad, so far. Two maps in, and I like it.

I have only two real complaints; they aren't things that make it bad, just things that don't fit the original game, or things that I think we can learn from. First of all, every time there's a major section in the map (so far. I am only two maps in) there is a clearly-marked secret there. I hope it gets less obvious, they cluster some secrets together and/or they have some sections of the map without secrets. At the moment it's pretty obvious when there's going to be a secret.

Secondly, there are some arena fights with a quad damage. I don't recall very many difficult fights that just hand you such a powerful powerup immediately. Usually they made a tough fight and then hid a powerup nearby to help you deal with it, if they even give you a powerup at all. The fight at the end of E1M3, for example, had four fiends and a shambler and it was perfectly doable without any quad or pentagram. Not to mention that it didn't actually lock you in; you can walk between the two initial fiends and exit the map.

Now, since my Quake 1 playthrough on Youtube is no longer a full 100%, I need to record a run of these maps to actually finish it. :P
Xtyfe wrote:Now you see boys and girls, this is how companies should behave. Pro-consumer and not pro-corporate circle jerk.
So, who's paying the mappers to make this content, and where's that money coming from? As much as I like when developers do this (this new episode, nerve.wad, etc.), we can't really expect this sort of thing.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:So, who's paying the mappers to make this content, and where's that money coming from? As much as I like when developers do this (this new episode, nerve.wad, etc.), we can't really expect this sort of thing.
According to some other MachineGames staff, this was apparently a personal project developed solely by the studio's boss, Jerk Gustafsson (pronounced Yurk). You can play some old 1997 maps of his on Quaddicted, or on Quake Injector if you use it under the name "J.F.Gustafsson".

Certainly hasn't skipped a beat, even after years of not really having made levels since The Darkness. Bit hard, mind!
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
Xtyfe wrote:Now you see boys and girls, this is how companies should behave. Pro-consumer and not pro-corporate circle jerk.
So, who's paying the mappers to make this content, and where's that money coming from? As much as I like when developers do this (this new episode, nerve.wad, etc.), we can't really expect this sort of thing.
Oh I wasn't suggesting that devs make community submissions. It's just the act itself that could be more common. Community interaction should be priority, they should never bite the hand that feeds them. Bethesda does a lot of bitting for example, Machine Games doesn't. ID Software back in the day didn't.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Xtyfe wrote:ID Software back in the day didn't.
lol paid mods
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Kinsie wrote:
Xtyfe wrote:ID Software back in the day didn't.
lol paid mods
Well, except for that :P
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

*cough*Master Levels*cough*Netpack 1*cough*

and to a minor minor case, *cough*Team Arena*cough* for how it's pretty much a mod's worth of content with commercial polish that doesn't justify its huge pricetag of $30
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

leileilol wrote:Team Arena
What a disappointment. I'm glad I didn't specifically buy it. (It's included with Q3 and the Quake collection on Steam.)

I do like team games, but vanilla CTF is fine with me when the characters are just more interesting. Quake 3 bots are fun to tinker with. I wonder if this is going to have botmatches?
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Just finished the DOPA episode of Quake by MachineGames. Now make Quake 5 already.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

So my opinion of ID just went up quite a bit after hearing this http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-it ... 0-6441378/

PC exclusive and designed for 120fps? Color me fucked, I'm impressed. In this age of gaming this is a VERY big deal and it's clear they want the game to last and not just be their cash cow.

And I thought Little Timmy wasn't exactly hip to these things.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Xtyfe wrote:And I thought Little Timmy wasn't exactly hip to these things.
We're still probably not getting modding tools, because Timmy.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
Xtyfe wrote:And I thought Little Timmy wasn't exactly hip to these things.
We're still probably not getting modding tools, because Timmy.
Hey now, lets not sour the moment :p
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

A gameplay trailer from QuakeCon.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Read that it wouldn't solely be on id Tech, kinda disappointing to be honest.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... engine_id/

Return to “Off-Topic”