Gaming skills.

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Reactor

Re: Gaming skills.

Post by Reactor »

The Thing Thing wrote: i legitimately despise the Half-Life series (in my opinion i think it's an overhyped Piece of Shit but that's just me)
Let me defend the game a little bit. It's totally not an overhyped piece-a-shit, it never really got THAT much attention, starting from 1998, and for once, this is the game whose story is the most meaningful and foreshadowing, especially Half-life 2. I might be a bit of a contheo-nut, but I firmly believe that the game was made as a warning, how "da gubbmint" is slowly taking away our privacy until the point there's nothing left of it - besides, there were some contheos, which were saying the truth in the past, whilst you can't find any politicians with the same criteria, and you'll never, since they cannot exist without lying.
If you wish to see an overhyped piece-a-shit game, Call of Vérpistike and the new Battlefield-series are right for the pluckin'. They're overhyped, and they're a lousy effort.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

my biggest issue with HL2 is that it has terrible replay value. once you've seen every ingame cutscene three times, it gets old really fast. this is why they made it so you can skip cutscenes in game (and don't make every scripted event take place in real time.) it's certainly not the best game of all time in my book (i think you can figure out what game i hold in that regard), because as a game, it doesn't hold up as well anymore.

the first game is inoffensive. the only really scripted parts are that in the beginning of the game, which you can skip entirely by going to Unforeseen Consequences. it gives the game a pretty unique feeling starting right as the disaster had happened.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I think the first one also has bad replay value, though not as bad as HL2, the game feels extremely linear.

I'd honestly play the original CoD campaign over it not because of linearity, but because cod's weapons are actually fun to use.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I scored some pretty quick times and some low health loss amounts for Zeno Clash tower Challenges. Anyone wanna try and beat them?
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I'm pretty good at 2d and 3d platformers, excluding sonic games and "bullethell" like games. I hate HL2, the puzzles killed it for me, especially the gravity gun mechanics. I like the first game, but if you ask me they both have little replay value, HL1 because it's very linear, and HL2 because the cutscenes and puzzles get old after the first time, and that's what the game is mainly about. This is all just my opinion though.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Unfortunately, most FPS games are very linear, let it be Half-life or something else. Doom 3 isn't well-known of the many sidebranches, though it DOES offer one at Alpha Labs sector 4.
I never had any issues with the replayability. The locations are very colorful and enthralling - yes, Xen as well - and I like to visit them again and again. And somehow I never got bored. Strange as it may sound, but I liked being in Black Mesa and Xen. It's like re-reading a great long book, or re-watching an evergreen classic movie.
Viscra Maelstrom

it's all down to preferences, really, but personally, the cutscenes in HL2 has lost their entire appeal for me at this point. because i know what's going to happen, i know what actions the NPCs are going to perform, i know what they're going to tell them. and there's literally no single way to ever skip those bits. this kills the game value of HL2 pretty much entirely for me, and it's not really much different from how modern FPS games forces you down a linear, scripted path. it may have been a revolutionary game at the time, but at this point, it's really hard to set it aside from modern FPS games, despite the fairly convoluted and retconned story arc.

that doesn't mean i hate the game, though, or the first one. however, as games, they kind of fail to impress or entertain me nowadays.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

The only online-game I've played for long so far is TF2.
Yes, I have played about 580hrs, but this game is so complex, and with the a very hardcore-community, this is nothing.
Yeah, sure, I can destroy people who installed the game fifteen minutes ago, and with a pocket-medic, I can also go godlike. I never had the nerves and time to go into competitive. Maybe when it officially comes out, I'll try.

My skills in Doom actually are pretty terrible. Yeah, I can beat the original 2 on ultra-violence, but just thinking about playing plutonia on UV makes my stomach sick. I have no idea how many times you need to play Plutonia to be able to speedrun it with 100%.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Reactor wrote:
The Thing Thing wrote: my opinion of HL
Spoiler:
Let me defend the game a little bit. It's totally not an overhyped piece-a-shit, it never really got THAT much attention, starting from 1998, and for once, this is the game whose story is the most meaningful and foreshadowing, especially Half-life 2. I might be a bit of a contheo-nut, but I firmly believe that the game was made as a warning, how "da gubbmint" is slowly taking away our privacy until the point there's nothing left of it - besides, there were some contheos, which were saying the truth in the past, whilst you can't find any politicians with the same criteria, and you'll never, since they cannot exist without lying.
If you wish to see an overhyped piece-a-shit game, Call of Vérpistike and the new Battlefield-series are right for the pluckin'. They're overhyped, and they're a lousy effort.
Well I do value your opinion about the half-life games, hell just because i don't like it does not mean that everybody has to hate it, if you like it then that's okay i'm not going to tear apart anyone who likes a different game that i do not like because everybody is allowed to like what they like, i just think that Half-life 1/2 is not this Best Game of all time that everybody i know makes it out to be and it was a waste of my money (even though i brought the entire series on steam for under $30 on the holidays).

And you are right about the "Children's Online Daycare" Series (Call of Duty) and Battlefield, By calling it an overhyped piece-of-shit would be an insult to other games that are overhyped pieces of shit, Honestly I would sooner play Undertale or Half-Life than Play Call of Duty ever again ( not that Undertale is shit "but definitely Hyped up" I honestly find certain elements of the game pretty decent like the ability to pull of a complete pacifist run and get rewarded for your efforts, even though i prefer to kill my enemies not befriend them in a video game), seriously Call of Duty is basically the Twilight (Book) of the Gaming World.

And i am not kidding about the Online Daycare that is Call of Duty, for the 6 months that i had BO2 in my possesion (for XBOX360) out of all the servers i played on the game 90% of the time it had more than 3 kids aged 5-11 who would either do any of these things,
Spoiler:
Bottom line is that I got no enjoyment of the game and i returned the game within 6 months of purchasing and that Call of Duty is just a Online Daycare filled with the devout supporters that will continuously purchase the games just for the new shiny graphics while completely ignoring all other aspects of what it lacks compared to other games ,it's just the same shit different title (can't really say the same about Battlefield because i have not played it)

P.S. Is Undertale any good?, because I might consider buying it at some point and if i do get it what is the most recommended way to play it first?
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Online daycare :D that's good!

Comparing the two (Half-life and Call of Vérpistike), storywise, Half-life is a gazillion times better in every possible aspect. It was exciting, since every character had their own personality and traits, history, and they actively parttake in the ongoing of the story. I even liked Adrian Shepard, despite he was technically an enemy. And the shadowy G-man was a truly masterpiece for a villain, and a perfect representative for "da gubbmint". The scientific setting of the story and the happening were also fantastic. Finally a game, where aliens were not stereotypical "arriving in flying saucers, destroying Earth population with lazor beamz", and the magical world of Xen never ceases to amaze me...where you can't decide what is living and what is not...
Most creatures are also well thought-up. If you do a little research, you shall find out that Half-life is based on the famous movie The Mist, where essentially the same thing have happened, except the setting of The Mist was much much MUCH worse...watch the movie, and you'll see...not even Gordon Freeman could survive THAT.
Sure, many creatures were based on Alien - like the headcrabs and the Gargantua - but I never felt that this would be such a big problem.
Weapons were also thoughtful - the molecule exciter, displacer and the alien weapons were truly amazing.
As for Half-life 2 and the subsequent episodes, it's a perfect foreshadowing of what world we shall live in 10 or 20 years (minus the aliens of course). Let's hope it will stay as a dystopia, and shall never become reality...

As for Call of Vérpistike, I found nothing spectacular or imaginative in it except the graphics - it's your everyday army shooter where there are two hostile nations, and you get to fight off the enemy soldiers. There are tons of games of this kind, and none of them seemed to amaze me in any real way. There weren't any memorable characters either, they're just disposable cardboard cutouts IMHO. Maybe I'm a bit too much of a fantasy-fan, but I never really felt any satisfaction for killing people in a different uniform than killing evil aliens from a dimension unknown, or killing evil demons from Hell (Doom 3). So this is one of the main reasons I really appreciate Half-life or Doom series - their concept is very unique :)
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

The bets way to play Undertale is to know nothing about it other than what you've read from the Undertale page. That's it.

Also, YAHTZEE called it a "good game". All I want to say about it is.... if the choices you made didn't make you happy, reset and make different ones.
Trance

Post by Trance »

Undertale is great. Jump into it blind. And don't take this to mean I'm setting you up for jumpscares or anything; it's not like that at all. Like DoomRater said, the less you know about it going into it, the more impact the game will have on you.
Viscra Maelstrom

i was spoiled by the final bosses before playing the game. didn't really bother me that much, though, as everything inbetween the beginning and the end was fairly fresh and interesting. but then again, i don't particularly care for spoilers except in some cases (i'm still disappointed a friend accidentally spoiled the ending of Yume Nikki for me, for example.)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

How do you cope with logic, and puzzle games? I'm talking about something like Stone-Age, Pushover or Sudoku. These require finesse and lots of foresight, especially those levels, which have only ONE solution. And on later stages, the levels can become infernally complex. I encountered the following ones so far:

- Stone-Age (made it to level 36, I couldn't continue)
- Sokoban (very very old stuff...never went beyond level 6)
- Atomix (couldn't even get past the second stage...it was the carbon-tetrachloryde molecule maybe?)
- Brix (stuck at level 9)
- Pushover (couldn't even finish the first world)
- Supaplex (I finished the whole game when I was around 25, and ye, I did use glitches to my advantage)
- Meong (stuck at the final level)
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

When playing puzzle games, I generally just feel better knowing I'm not playing "Getting Over It" and keep trying to reevaluate what approach is not working for me.

Return to “Off-Topic”