"True" way to play DooM? -update-

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

"True" way to play DooM? -update-

Postby epiccolton26 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:23 pm

This has been plaguing me for the past week. I always get this compulsive need to play DooM the "perfect" way. Right now, I play on either Zandronum or GZDoom with mouselook and no auto-aim, along with a typical WASD movement setup (I've stuck with this for most of the times I've played DooM, though I don't mind playing it the old way). I'm content with this setup, though I'm constantly tempted to just switch back to no mouse-aim and auto-aim, to the point that it becomes an annoying urge. I'm ending up not being able to continue playing because of this feeling. I know there's no "true" way to play the game, but I feel constantly conflicted on how to. Any tips on how to ease this anxious feeling I'm getting?

P.S. I don't know where to put this thread, so I'm sticking it in the Off-Topic board until otherwise.
epiccolton26
a.k.a. The Dark Star

Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Re: "True" way to play DooM? -update-

Postby epiccolton26 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Update: I just realized how ridiculous this sounds. Probably won't update on this.

Edit: I appreciate the replies nonetheless. :)
Last edited by epiccolton26 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epiccolton26
a.k.a. The Dark Star

Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Postby cambertian » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Chocolate Doom is an option, of course, but using multiplayer with it could be annoying to setup.
There's also the original executable in DOSBox, but you'd need all of the original files. If you don't have anything but the WADs, there's a few source ports, including Doom Plus, which is basically the original with extended limits. If you want to go REALLY hardcore, there's FreeDOS, but that requires hardware (or a virtual box.)

... To be honest, I don't know why I typed this. Feels good to get it off my chest though.
cambertian
Resident Non-Programming Programmer

Discord: cambertian#6245
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nevander » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Personally, I like to play Doom these days using GZDoom along with very few mods. The only mods I really like to use while playing is a weapons only smooth animation mod, a music pack so the default tunes are upgraded a bit, nice new clear sound effects, and a nice clean new HUD to go with. This is of course with no other alterations playing the standard IWADs.

Certain PWADs use different music and or weapons, so I'd only use one or none depending on what I'm playing.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby leileilol » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:39 pm

acording to a I.G.N. video death match with jon romero the True Way is Doom's Day Engine

u cant aruge with joan "suck this down" romero

フォニュエール!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Naniyue » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:27 pm

I played DooM, DooM II, Heretic, etc. when they were new, with keyboard only. I was insanely into the games (I even played through DooM again on a borrowed laptop with pc speaker only for sound!), but always hated the controls, as I could never ever ever EVER get the hang of old style strafing. I tried using a gamepad, and that was better, but again, the damn strafing! Once I found ZDooM, there was no going back, as I absolutely LOVE proper mouselook, and I can strafe juuuustt fine! :)

So basically, if you want to be "pure", play with the keyboard only, running vanilla DooM via DOSBox.

If you want better control while still being somewhat pure, use (G)ZDooM, but make sure jumping and crouching are off, as you couldn't perform those actions in the original games.
Naniyue
TTThhppttt!!!

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:24 am

You could also install MS-DOS (or FreeDOS, alternatively) and use vanilla Doom.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Dark-Assassin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:33 am

If I actually had something more decent than the shitty ball mouse I had, I would have always played doom with it.
Dark-Assassin

Postby Nash » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:59 am

leileilol wrote:acording to a I.G.N. video death match with jon romero the True Way is Doom's Day Engine

u cant aruge with joan "suck this down" romero

lmao gtfo u casual grafic's pleb
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Caligari87 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:26 am

I don't get why Chocolate Doom would ever be "not authentic enough" :?

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Caligari_87 wrote:I don't get why Chocolate Doom would ever be "not authentic enough" :?

8-)

Never try to argue with fundamentalists. Their rules often make little sense... :mrgreen:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Woolie Wool » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:10 pm

epiccolton26 wrote:This has been plaguing me for the past week. I always get this compulsive need to play DooM the "perfect" way. Right now, I play on either Zandronum or GZDoom with mouselook and no auto-aim, along with a typical WASD movement setup (I've stuck with this for most of the times I've played DooM, though I don't mind playing it the old way). I'm content with this setup, though I'm constantly tempted to just switch back to no mouse-aim and auto-aim, to the point that it becomes an annoying urge. I'm ending up not being able to continue playing because of this feeling. I know there's no "true" way to play the game, but I feel constantly conflicted on how to. Any tips on how to ease this anxious feeling I'm getting?

P.S. I don't know where to put this thread, so I'm sticking it in the Off-Topic board until otherwise.

Who cares, just play Doom. If I'm feeling really nostalgic I just load ZDoom with -4 (480x270) and set the midi playback to OPL emulation.
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Discord: Woolie Wool#9878

Postby Armaetus » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:08 pm

My "must haves" for such:

-My Random Deaths & Decoration mod or anything equal to this (IE Smooth Doom or Beautiful Doom)
-Perk's Smooth Anims
-My custom music tune WADs, compiled from various artists
Armaetus
RDND, Maps of Chaos and Obsidian Dev

Discord: Armaetus#8512
Github ID: GlaiceOldSchoolRTS
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby kodi » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:58 pm

The true way to play it is the way you enjoy the most yourself. Since people have radically different tastes and attitudes it might be a good idea to not imply your own preferred way is objectively superior to any other (BD fans for example are sometimes maligned for this).

Personally I much prefer GL renderer + mouselook over software and have perkristians sound mod on autoload. Huge fan of Smooth Doom too, though I don't tend to use it on the official wads.
kodi
Proscrastinator

Return to Off-Topic