$#@%! (Universally Serious Bullsh*t)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
YukesVonFaust

Re: $#@%! (Universally Serious Bullsh*t)

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Did you try to backup all of your Data?
maybe a restore point?
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

YukesVonFaust wrote:Did you try to backup all of your Data?
maybe a restore point?
Restoring doesn't work, the attrib command doesn't work, and AVG can't kill the trojan. I have to painfully backup as much data as I can and even the data recovery programs don't work.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

You'll probably find the trojan isn't actually running. It's just an application there that you've had sitting dormant.
zZaRDoZz

Post by zZaRDoZz »

MJ79 wrote:
YukesVonFaust wrote:Did you try to backup all of your Data?
maybe a restore point?
Restoring doesn't work, the attrib command doesn't work, and AVG can't kill the trojan. I have to painfully backup as much data as I can and even the data recovery programs don't work.
If money's not an issue, there are companies that specialize in data recovery from damaged drives. If it isn't solid state and you're at the end of your rope, there's always the freezer trick.

Anyone know if the freezer trick is still useful?
It's really an old school hack.
Last edited by zZaRDoZz on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Please, use a trial version of Kaspersky complete or bitdeffender total security, AVG is more like a virus magnet than an antivírus itself '-' .
I just gave up from avg long time ago, even in some friends computers where avg was installed, it claimed the system was clean, but ofc it wasn't, it was actually funny, because there was a trojan that blocks to access anything even installing a well known antivírus, but it allowed to install avg xD (at the end, I just gave up from that computer, I eliminated like 10.000 vírus/trojans/malwares, + a fake antivírus that was actually a vírus [not avg in the case :( ])
Hellsmith1

Post by Hellsmith1 »

You could try downloading Norton 360 just go to there website and do a 30-day free trial cause I have norton 360 on my system and it's excellent and it can even remove any trojans from your computer its the best top of the line protection. Kaspersky antivirus is your secondary protection.
My advice download Norton 360 and Kaspersky for the best protection.
If you try to save any files from your computer don't do it because your also saving the trojan virus as well too sorry to be saying that but it's true.

I'm just curious about something when's the last time you updated your system or did a background check? That could be the solution I don't know and it depends on how old your system is too.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

Don't feel bad.Today I thought I had a virus in my laptop b/c the way the mouse arrow was jiggling funny.I use a wireless folding mouse.Sooo, I set it back to factory condition, not saving any files.(Have backups anyway) I was surprised when the mouse arrow did it again.Shit.Then it finally dawned on me to change the batteries in the mouse.Worked like a charm.Do I need to say how dumb I felt? :oops: Well anyway, sorry for being off topic.Hope you guys get a good laugh.I did. :lol:
edward850

Post by edward850 »

ibm5155 wrote:Please, use a trial version of Kaspersky complete or bitdeffender total security, AVG is more like a virus magnet than an antivírus itself '-' .
This is bad advice. And yet...
Hellsmith1 wrote:You could try downloading Norton 360
This is actually worse advice.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why the antivirus advice? This sounds more like physically broken hardware.
So my advice would be, to copy as much data off it as you can, and then throw that thing away.

DON'T EVEN THINK about reformatting and using it again. You may actually lose some more stuff then.
ShadowTiger

Post by ShadowTiger »

I work in a data recovery and computer repair center. There are others that know more than I do, but I've seen quite a few hard drives fail, especially when they already contain bad sectors. Do not reuse bad hard drives. It's like someone poking a hole into a vinyl record with a thumb tack, and then that hole expanding and expanding... who knows what data might have been under the vicious pinpoint precision of that hole. I watched a single bad sector that had downed a Win7 installation turn into over two thousand bad sectors over a weekend of scans.

Backing up onto an external hard drive may be useful. Or you can pick up a few of those USB sticks from Microcenter, Best Buy, or Staples. Staples has plenty of sales on them fairly often. I know 32 GB for $12 won't hold much, but it's a good start. They're also really, REALLY useful to use as bootable Linux LiveCDs to help diagnose a problem or bypass Windows to get files off of it in case of a Windows problem. You can still store files on it in a subfolder. Use "Rufus" to burn the ISO to the USB. Great little program.

Otherwise, if there are mechanical problems with the drive, it'll likely have to go into a clean room. The one connected to our company charges $200 just to look at it, and can run between (an extra) $200 to $800 depending on what they have to do to it. If it's just a mechanical failure though, you're probably in pretty good standing. If something dropped and the reader head scraped against the platters, then it gets quite a bit harder to recover data.

I did, however, happen across a video on how to recover data from a hard drive that can't be recognized. Can't for the life of me recall the name of it, but it exists, which is at least a good start. Looking around on Youtube isn't a bad idea.

-------------------

Additionally, and I'll place this in a spoiler tag because it's not as relevant as one may imagine, here's a little copy and paste of a "How to clean malware" guide that's been floating around. Feel free to interject where appropriate.
Spoiler:

Return to “Off-Topic”