Post by GooberMan »

ibm5155

Re: Fallout 4

Post by ibm5155 »

My notebook can only run at low settings :(
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Nash wrote:(2015 and still no toggle aim, sheesh)
Wow first no easy key rebinding and now this? I hate games that don't let you toggle ADS. I think I'm going to wait for an official patch or mods to fix these problems before I even install it.
XanderK9
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XanderK9 »

I think my character is prone to have stuff exploding at his face. The most memorable moment was when I was staying idle after a battle with feral gouls and while explaining something to my brother, I saw a red car icon appearing out of nowhere. I was like "What is th-*Boom*".

Another moment was when I was discussing casually with Codsworth while several cars explode right behind us. I survived, somehow.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Any of you know why does the game's launcher think my rig is suitable for "Ultra" settings? This is ancient hardware from 2008/2010'ish (except for the graphics card... unless it's just going by graphics cards alone in which case the high CPU recommendations on the Steam page is exaggerated):

Intel i7 950 3.07 GHz
NVidia GTX 960
15 GB DDR3

Despite the launcher auto-setting my graphics to Ultra, it's not comfortable to play in. Had to knock down shadow quality and godrays to medium to maintain somewhat playable 50-60 FPS average.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

60fps is a dream for my amd hd8870m xD at least the i7 3635qm helps a bit...
For me the config is like
Texture Quality: High, Shadow Quality: Medium, Shadow Distance: Medium, Decal Quantity: none, Lighting Quality Medium, Godrays Quality: Low, Deph of Field:Low, Ambient Ocluion: SSAO, plus only Wetness on.
The resolution is 1366x768.
It looks like the game is running btw 28-40fps and 60+ fps in some specific áreas, not bad for a 2012 notebook gpu I think (at least, I can se some graphics settings above low, compared to the latest batman, I can't even set something higher, and it's still lag :( )
I agree with the hitbox, it looks so tiny, maybe it's related to the difficult settings that I set it up.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Main quest spoiler
Spoiler:
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Do godrays at that high of a level of quality stop looking like a blocky pixelated mess?
Nash

Post by Nash »

You stop seeing the blockiness from "Medium" onwards while you're moving - meaning, when the rays shine through transparent textures while the screen/you are moving, it doesn't bother you as much as in "Low". I'm actually leaving mine permanently on Medium, seems playable enough for me!
Marisa the Magician

Ah... shame I have a 560Ti. I only just recently resurrected it in the oven and it really is all I have.

Heck, I had to use that one crappy thing made by that one russian programmer for it to let me use ultra textures.
Big C

Post by Big C »

The more I read about the Bethbugs in this one, the less I want to buy it despite having enjoyed New Vegas and (mostly) enjoyed Skyrim.

Did they screw the pooch extra-hard on QA with FO4, or have people just gotten better at noticing the glitches?
Marisa the Magician

Nah, the shortcomings of the engine just start showing more and more as time passes.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, it's certainly no Arkham Knight.
Nash

Post by Nash »

It's not THAT bad as the internet makes it out to be. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. As an example, I saw a huge discussion with 50+ replies (can't remember if it was Steam or Youtube) where the OP basically shot down the game and Beth because you couldn't holster weapon. Holstering is there and it hasn't changed since Fallout 3 and New Vegas - you just hold down the "ready/reload" button. That's just one example, there are countless others where people are just being overly troll-ey over non-issues.

Not to say that this game is perfect or doesn't have its share of bugs and WTFs. I still think some of the animations (mostly in scripted scenes) are HORRIBLE and unacceptable in 2015 but then I am reminded this game is basically built on the same engine they've been using (more or less) since 2002 or they probably just don't care about them enough to put more effort and detail into them... I'm sure most of the scripted stuff was done with mocapped actors so I don't know why they still appear game-ey in motion. But it hasn't stopped me from having fun playing it, 36 hours and counting.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I honestly don't know if BGS uses mo-cap. They weren't as of Skyrim...

They're a pretty damn small studio for an open-world game developer, all things considered. Like 112 people compared to Rockstar's 400+?

Return to “Off-Topic”