Friend seemingly banned from the forums?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
loismustdie555

Friend seemingly banned from the forums?

Post by loismustdie555 »

A friend of mine by the username of Hellsmith1 messaged me on Facebook telling me that the forums will not load and it seems he's being blocked/banned from even loading the forums.
Anyone else having a similar issue or do any admins know if anything wonky going on on their end?

If this is the wrong place to post this admins please move it.
Seidolon

Re: Friend seemingly banned from the forums?

Post by Seidolon »

Firewall? Website blocked? I know at my school recently, zdoom wiki and zdoom forums were added to the list of blocked websites. Now I just stare at my desk when I'm bored. :cry:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

loismustdie555 wrote:A friend of mine by the username of Hellsmith1 messaged me on Facebook telling me that the forums will not load and it seems he's being blocked/banned from even loading the forums.
Anyone else having a similar issue or do any admins know if anything wonky going on on their end?

I can tell you Hellsmith1 is not being specifically banned. What's more likely happening is the spam protection system has mistaken his IP address for that of a spammer. If I remember right, Nash has experienced this problem at least once, and claims he solved the problem by restarting his router. This doesn't really solve the mystery, but it's worth a try, because that shouldn't cause any damage.
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

wildweasel wrote:
loismustdie555 wrote:A friend of mine by the username of Hellsmith1 messaged me on Facebook telling me that the forums will not load and it seems he's being blocked/banned from even loading the forums.

I can tell you Hellsmith1 is not being specifically banned. What's more likely happening is the spam protection system has mistaken his IP address for that of a spammer. If I remember right, Nash has experienced this problem at least once, and claims he solved the problem by restarting his router. This doesn't really solve the mystery, but it's worth a try, because that shouldn't cause any damage.
He said this when I suggested this to him;

"Well its my cell phone as well too and I'm sorry to say this but I don't have a router either."

Any ideas?

EDIT; He said he connects to the web on his PC via an Air Card (not sure what that is...)
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Could it be a bad site certificate? I'm really not sure what else it could be. But then, if it's a site certificate issue, I don't think it would be present on his phone too unless it was the same connection. Ask Hellsmith if he can take a screenshot of the problem he sees on screen, that'll help the forum deduce it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I get this crap all the time (just last night it happened again). Hard-resetting my router fixes it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's probably because you get a dynamic IP address when restarting the router.
For someone with a static IP address or a service provider which uses the same IP for more than one user that won't help.

If all else fails he could try using TOR browser to get in here since that randomly routes the traffic through some other places. I do that all the time where I discover IP-address related problems.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

If he was trying to connect via IPv6, the server had stopped listening at that address on October 27, and I only noticed it a few days ago.
Hellsmith1

Post by Hellsmith1 »

Hay I'm back and its good to see you all I know its only been 2 weeks but finally I got my favorite website back on again.

@Loismustdie555 thank you for your help and for your support and the same goes to you all. Thank you guys.

Return to “Off-Topic”