Re: Doom Aspect Ratio

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:55 am

Gez wrote:Usually 800x600 windowed.

Same here.
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:20 am

Graf Zahl wrote:the precise screen resolution to display it correctly really shouldn't matter anymore

Except for the fact the "precise" screen resolution has to be a multiple of 1600x1200, otherwise pixels will have non-integer sizes.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Gez » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:34 am

The only places where this really matters is the status bar and fonts. Everything that is rendered in the scene (sprites, textures, etc.) is already scaled for distance.
Gez

Postby edward850 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:47 am

Specifically, the renderer in ZDoom is built around 1:1.2 projection. It avoids integer rounding as all pixels are 1:1, as far as the screen is concerned. Basically, the actual world projection is scaled, not the screen. I believe only chocolate-doom does screen scaling.
Only non-world elements are stretched, such as the hud and titlescreen, but there's not a lot you can do about that. However at high enough resolutions, the rounding becomes insignificant. So much so that the only resolution ZDoom ignores stretching the hud is 320x240.
edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 am

Well, if I wanted to keep playing at 16:10 but also have screen elements be 1:1.2, it seems the minimum resolution would be 1920x1200.

I have just switched to it, disabled forcing aspect ratio, and the hud is... strangely distorted. Some numbers have pixels that aren't 5x6, the whole bar is offset by 1x1 (also happens to the titlepic), one of the doomguy's ears is bigger than the other... And this is all very easily visible. I suppose that could be reported as a bug? It happens at pretty much any resolution that isn't 320x200, now that I think of it.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Previous

Return to Off-Topic